Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I caught a Bat crawling down the hallway outside my office.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mjark, Jan 13, 2017.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    :lol: Yep and that was proven clinically long ago. :lol::lol:

2. lewis

lewis Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Colorado
    A couple years ago there was a bat hanging out in a hallway at church. At first I thought I should go grab our pastor but realized he probably knows as much about bats as I do. And like above, with a small trash can and a clipboard I was able to get it back outdoors. I don't have a problem with "disposing" of animals when they are not in the right environment but there was no way I would do that at church.

3. Special Brew

Special Brew Tele-Meister

May 1, 2014
    Gutter
    I think I once read that the two families of bats (Mega and Micro Chiroptera) actually evolved independently of one another and only the insect eating micros have echo location capabilities. The fruit eating megas don't need it obviously, fruit don't move!

bparnell57, TMMC and soulman969 like this.

4. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    I don't like bats .

5. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    you should, you life depends on them to a certain degree, they are great at insect control and they pollinate bigly.

6. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Midwest

7. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Yes bats are interesting and beneficial .
    But they give me the Hebee Gebees ... maybe I watched Dracula at too early of an age ?

8. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown

9. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2011
    Independence, Mo
    Reminds me of a fishing trip one warm summer evening back in my teens. Had a lantern or two on the bank, and of course lots of bugs in the air.
    My buddy kept asking me what was swooping in and out of the light in front of us-bats I said. Bass?? No, bats. Bass??? No, bats you fricking idiot, fish can't fly!

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    So it was a small bat?

[​IMG]

11. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    My first wife and I awoke at 3am to find a bat flying around our apartment. It was hot and the air conditioner was in the dining room, so we were sleeping on the dining room floor. It was dark, but I could see something flying around. Seemed too big to be an insect. When we discovered it was a bat we didn't know what to do, because we didn't want to kill it, but we wanted it out of the house. Somehow I swatted it with a broom and he ended up between the inner and outer panes of the window, then flew out. Pure dumb luck. Still don't know how I managed to do that.

12. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Somehow got in the wrong thread, sorry.

13. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    I had this exact same thing happen where a bat got stuck between the window panes. Crazy how small of a space they can squeeze through.

I have had a situation twice where I found a bat in a room either with a pet or a sleeping child and did not know how long it had been there. Both times I captured the bat and had animal control test for rabies. With the child, we went ahead and took him for rabies shots to be on the safe side. I am very appreciative of the mosquito eradication work that they do, but if there is any chance that they could have bitten or scratched an animal or human, I think the safe thing to do is to have the bat tested. I have read that their claws are small enough that you can get scratched and not even feel it, but I'm not sure if that's true.

MA6200 and ac15 like this.

14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    This bat was not beneficial, and a 6 year old boy died of rabies. :( Rest in peace, little man.

More here.

boy.jpg

Dr Improbable likes this.

15. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI

The kid's dad brought a sick bat into the house. It wasn't the bat's fault.

Bones likes this.

16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Yeah---hopefully the bat will have a fair trial. :rolleyes:

17. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Question is, will the father...

18. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    People watch cartoons as kids then they try and assign animals with human reasoning and emotions. Which is of course a total load of crap, but you can't overcome some things. The dad was wrong to bring a diseased bat into the house, actually from the article he put it on the porch, but the kid would still be alive if not for the bat. In my opinion, telling the little boy not to touch the bat was almost the same as telling him to just go right ahead and do it. Again, only an opinion but if would seem the father was extremely irresponsible in that sense. When I was a kid, I know I would have been curious, that's what kids are. Some things just don't seem to have a good answer.

A guy I used to know kept a rattlesnake as a pet at one time, he had supposedly had the tubes that supply poison to the fangs tied off, kind of like a vasectomy. The snake still had its fangs. The thing is sometime vasectomies fail, I sure wouldn't keep a rattlesnake around me unless he'd had his head removed and was in a glass jar all neat and tidy. Then I'd dispose of it. Old Toto is about as wild an animal as I want to have around, and I buy his tags and shots 3 years ahead.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Dr Improbable and drf64 like this.

19. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    estados unidos
    Tragic, yet it begs for a little context:

"Human rabies cases in the United States are rare, with only 1 to 3 cases reported annually. Twenty-three cases of human rabies have been reported in the United States in the past decade (2008-2017). Eight of these were contracted outside of the U.S. and its territories."

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/location/usa/surveillance/human_rabies.html

This doesn't mean you should go out and pet any bat you can get ahold of, they are a significant (if rare) vector for rabies infection, but the next most significant species are domestic dogs.

Toto'sDad likes this.

20. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Back in my hound hunting days I had a whip antenna on my truck for the cb radio everyone else had back then. On a dark night up in the mountains the bats would continue to hammer that thing all night long. Boing, boing, bong all night. Even it you weren't using the radio they were attracted to it, never understood that, but they would run into it over and over.

MA6200 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.