I Buy ‘Em, Then Sell ‘Em...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tele-beeb, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Last year, about this time, I was having a GAS Attack of the highest order.
    I just had to have a big Peavey Solid State 212. Found a Silver Stripe Special 212 that was great in all respects so I bought it.
    Long story shorter, I love the big powerful 212, but, I am currently back to an athletic support for my right knee. I’ve been amp-ed again.
    As of yesterday I said goodby to yet another Destroyer Class amp. Long live big iron... 50+ year old knees, maybe not so much.

bftfender likes this.
  2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

same here..here is what left my house last year,
    Peavey Delta BLues115
    Fender Super reverb-vintage
    Fender 68 CDR
    Fender SuperChampXD
    EVH 5150iii
    Laney IRT60
    Bugera G20
    Fender HRD3
    some older fender 2x10 vibro thing

Chunkocaster and Tele-beeb like this.
  3. Tele-beeb

Not that’s weight reduction!

bftfender likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They come and go with me, too!
    They’ve been doing that for over 50 years now.
    You’d think they’d get tired of it, but, no!

Chunkocaster, Tele-beeb and Shuster like this.
  5. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hey if your knee gets better, I hook you up with a Blues Deville 4x10:confused::eek:

Chunkocaster and Tele-beeb like this.
  6. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

I probably buy, sell, or trade 10-20 amps a year. It’s my hobby, it’s cheaper than owning a boat, and I don’t usually loose too much money in these deals, since I am buying mostly used gear.

Buying, selling, and trading amps is something that I enjoy, it’s taken me on some great road trips, I’ve made some good friends with common interest, and plus I get to have owned some really cool amps.

By the way, I am not young, and I’m still moving around and playing big, heavy, and great sounding amps (Fender Super Reverb and a Marshall JMP 2x12 combo and others). In fact, only one of my current four amps is sub 50 lbs.

The guys that are selling their big, heavy vintage amps, are keeping the prices down, and enabling me to buy some really great amps.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  7. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Casters, baby, casters.
    And 3" wheels are great for uneven floors, sidewalks.
    Peace - Deeve

That's how I keep my PV 2X12 w/o benefit of roadie

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    gridlock likes this.
  8. Tele-beeb

Nothing wrong with that...

gridlock likes this.
  9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

All of my Peavey amps have come and gone, too. Even as I sold or gave away the rest, I always meant to keep my Bandit 65. But, alas! It was stolen. :eek::mad::(:cry:

At 65 years of age, and having issues with knees, back, diabetes and heart, I now gig with only lightweight amps. My Fishman Loudbox Mini and Vox Pathfinder 15Rs are each under 20 lbs. My Crate TX50 weighs about 30 lbs. (my heaviest amp now), and my Alto TS310 powered speaker for PA weighs 26 lbs.

I loved my Peavey Bandits and Studio Pros, and every now and again I long for one. But the weight would be an issue.

OldDude2, Telecastoff1 and Tele-beeb like this.
  10. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I'm at almost 1 1/2 years since my last amp sale/purchase. A personal best as of late. That said I do have my 1966 Super Reverb listed but more as trade bait for a equal value smaller amp.

gridlock and Tele-beeb like this.
  11. Tele-beeb

“Don’t tempt me with it Shuster, for With it I would desire to do good, but... through me it would wield a power too great and terrible to imagine...”

Shuster likes this.
  12. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I used to buy em and sell em too. Most Peaveys were/are so affordable on the used market that it was very easy to buy one for a while and try it out for yourself, instead of relying on some person's review or video. Thru the years I found quite a few gems in the Peavey line that I kept and still have. I got quite an education on Peavey amps and have learned that high quality doesn't have to mean high price. I have never lost money on a Peavey.

geobookman and Tele-beeb like this.
  13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

There's a limited market here obviously due to population, even in my city/town of 1,1 million.
    Buers gp to Gumtree, want an original Fender rather than a partscaster with many superior parts, and want it for $5.00.
    I had a registered ABN ( Australian Business Number) and was busy every weekend for some years.
    Now kids want a Fender, Eiphone or Gibson new from a shop. So bying and selling is not really an option as the stores don't take trade-ins. I can't even get a good valuation on a mint PRRI Blackface when I enquire on trading up to a DRRI and I am relatively well known in this town asa builder and broker.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  14. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I recently doubled my money selling a tweed blues junior. I plan to sell a second one I own when my internet is more reliable for running the length of the auction. It should pay for a Marshall origin 20c and a good chunk of a new neck.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  15. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't see the point, especially since I hate selling most of all. Not only that I always lose money, but putting the ad, people sending messages or calling announcing that they want to buy it in a week (which they almost never do, but like announcing it), the crap offers and the whole process in general.

I'm not even sure I like the process of buying, although I like getting if it's something I've really wanted.

I haven't even bought that OR15 I've been gassing for for 5+ years. I've tried them several in shops and loved them.

I could get an Egnater Rebel, but I hated how it sounded with the 6V6s in the demos, and I could get a Peavey Piranha, which sounded like absolute crap in the shop but there is a 1% chance it might sound good at home with my cabs. Not worth the hassle in my opinion.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  16. bftfender

i agree...best time ever lately for getting the classics at a great price..have dollies..as i age its way easier to roll something instead of lift..having the right vehicle helps..4x12 wheeled up to back..tilt..slide in back..never really lift it much. I would never let weight be a factor in tone..or money..in the long run you spend way more trying to make an amp try & do what the classics already do from the start.

Tele-beeb, Telecastoff1 and gridlock like this.
  17. cigblues

cigblues TDPRI Member

I end to keep my 65 reissue Princton. It does what I want it too. And I save money buying and selling. my apologies to OP.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  18. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

I moved my old classic chorus 212 out of the basement and back into the studio a couple weeks ago. I didn’t even notice how heavy it was 20 plus years ago. But now good god!! Plugged it in and it’s a mess. When I get my strength back I’ll muscle it to the shop bench for an overhaul. I’m sure I’ll never part ways with it but it definitely needs a more permanent location

Tele-beeb likes this.
  19. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Meister

Just out of curiosity, what are you playing through now?

Tele-beeb likes this.
  20. bftfender

Runt4 (2).jpg

Tele-beeb likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.