Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I Built An Esquire.....................

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jack Wells, Dec 20, 2005.

1. lewis

lewis Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Colorado
    Very cool.
    Let us know how it sounds/plays when you get the bugs worked out.

2. Darrell

Darrell Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Absolutely Stunning

period

3. Dennis68

Dennis68 Tele-Holic

Oct 3, 2003
    NYC
    That's wonderful !

If there was a Partscaster Hall of Fame, that would get my vote for a "instant inductee"!

4. vic108

vic108 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 25, 2005
    Greenbackville, VA
    Re: That's wonderful !

Well stated Dennis...

Great work there man!
    Gives ya chills just lookin' at it.

5. jerry68

jerry68 TDPRI Member

Jan 13, 2005
    WOW! That's all I can say... WOW!!!

6. Sunburst Island

Sunburst Island Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2004
    States
    You've gone a GREAT job there jwells. I'll second that and chime in on a Hamel Pickup too. I can't image what the Broadcaster p-up sounds like, well... then again ...the Standard set is immaculate and lively, I bet the Broadcaster will get you there and then some. BTW, I can see what you mean about the neck. Plain hard rock maple, flatsawn or quartersawn would look perfect on your guitar, but what you've got is unique looking and puts the guitar in its own spot. Looks good as is. Enjoy!

7. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Texas
    jwells,
    I'm not sure why I didn't post a reply to this earlier, because I meant to.

This is just simply awesome. I don't know how much of the Tele community understands what you have done. Many of us know that it is a replica of Leo Fender's first soild body prototype. You have recreated it in stunning detail.

Let me say as a hack guitar builder that most of "us" rely on buying pieces and assemble partscasters. Sure, I have finished bodies, but your craftmanship is a step above. I keep looking at you aluminum control plate. I didn't know aluminum could be polished that shiny!!

So, how did you profile the pickguard? I guess you routhed it from a template. If so, how did you make the template?

Again, great work, and thanks for sharing here.

8. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    How I made the pickguard.........

Terry and others,

Thanks for the kind words.

As I mentioned above I collected all the pictures I could find. The are some good pictures here.....

http://www.virtualvintageguitars.com/fender0001_01.html

On the body I measured the distance from the control plate to the end of the lower horn. I took a picture of the guitar body and cropped it from the control plate to to the end of the horn. I resized this cropped picture to the measurement I had made. I then printed it actual size. This gave me an actual size print of the pickguard. I cut out the pickguard shape ....... glued it to some 1/4 in masonite .......... rough cut the shape on the bandsaw... then sanded the masonite to the final shape. This was my pickguard template. I taped the template to the pickguard sheet .......... rough cut the plastic ....... then used a pattern following router bit and a router table to get the final pickguard shape. I rounded the top edge of the pickguard with sandpaper and used really fine wet or dry sandpaper to give it a matt finish.

By the way Terry ............ thanks for bringing this thread back from the obscurity of page 2.

9. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Amazing. Best homebrew ever shown here, without a doubt.

10. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2005
    t-dot
    golly, what a fabulous recreation of guitar history.
    nice job.
    also, because U chose to go w/ a truss rod in the neck, i kinda like the unusual, 'incorrect' birds eye.
    another PUP option would be one of fred stuart's blackguard creations.
    i have a black esquire pine prototype and these 'pinecasters' are quite usable and very unique sounding gee-tars.
    great job.
    lets here what Ur impressions are when U get the PUPs sorted out.

11. txspreacher

txspreacher Friend of Leo's

Jun 21, 2004
    TEXAS
    Hey, Jack, I never got around to posting re: this, either. But, let me echo Terry's sentiment that the crafsmanship just amazing on this! You'll have a hard time following up this one! How long would you say this project took?

12. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

Uh :eek: Wow!

I mean, :eek: Wow!!

Now I have to mop up a lot of drool!

terry is right, some might not know how great of a job this is. When I first saw that photo, I thought it was a photo of the real deal, till I looked harder, and saw that it was pristine in condition, and the grain on the neck was just to nice and modern looking.

13. sabby

sabby Tele-Meister

Jun 29, 2005
    Youngstown, Ohio
    Everything everyone else said x2. Bravo!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.