Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

I Built An Esquire.....................

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jack Wells, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    Maybe not what you were expecting. Just got it together last night. I need do a set up and probably will get a new pickup. This is one I had lying around and I currently have a noise problem. I noticed that the Tele Tech forum has a thread on recommended Esquire pickups. This is by no means an exact copy but I believe it to be a reasonable facsimile. If anyone is interested I could supply details later.
    ................................[​IMG]

2. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    A Champion lap steel pickup would be as accurate as your gonna get cause thats what Leo used in those.

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Y'know, if you made a headstock with all the tuners on the same side, made the pickguard bigger and changed the control plate to make it more accesible, you might be on to something. But those solid body guitars are just a fad. :)

Nice work!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Mike Rice

Mike Rice Friend of Leo's

Mar 2, 2003
    Hudson Valley
    I'm with Paul

Whatcha gonna do with that thing? Paddle a canoe?

6. WickedGTR

WickedGTR Friend of Leo's

Jul 12, 2005
    Hillbilly Hollywood
    Looks like one of Paul Bigsby's gizmos.

Nice Work!!

7. StetsonMan

StetsonMan Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2004
    PA
    Very nice....

I wish I had the skills that Jwells has :cry: ...he's always making something cool!

8. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted

Mar 3, 2003
    Nashville Tn.
    Wow!!!!!!

I'd love to hear the details!!!!! especially the neck....Thats a really nice job.....how about a couple moree close ups too!!!

Bill Hullett

9. Tom S

Tom S Friend of Leo's

Aug 3, 2005
    That looks like an outstanding job! Congrats, and kudos on your skills.

10. cdobbs7977

cdobbs7977 TDPRI Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Indianapolis
    That's a great looking neck (and the ugliest headstock, thank goodness leo went to 6 in line). You've done an excellent job...lets hear those details

11. Dave Yeats

Dave Yeats Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Austin, Texas, USA
    I would probably just call Jason Lollar and ask him to do you up a lapsteel pickup in a tele shape (no baseplate). Then you'd be pretty darn close to what Leo had in there (without having to fabricate a new bridge plate). Lollar is "the guy" for repro lapsteel pickups. Florence makes a "bottomless" voodoo tele bridge pickup w/o a baseplate that would likely be close, too. Nice work jwells. We're ready for the details.

Edit: I just noticed the tiny position markers on that neck. Cool!

12. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted

Mar 3, 2003
    Nashville Tn.
    pickup.....

my vote for a pickup would be one of the new Broadcasters built by Alan Hamel...it's decidedly different than his first one (not really better ....but different) I love em.......... I'm sure it would take on the right character with than one too....

Bill Hullett

13. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    SD makes a direct replacement for the Champion lap steel pickup also.

14. Mike Rice

Mar 2, 2003
    Hudson Valley
    OK, now to be serious

I was the Custom Shop recreation of this just last week, when I posted about the auction that we're a bit dubious about. Where did you find the neck with that headstock? What size is the neck? Radius? Fret size? Pine body? Give us all the details man!!

15. Johnny Caster

Johnny Caster Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    San Antonio, TX
    Very cool. How'd you do the control plate?

16. Jack Wells

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    A Few Details ........................

First I'd like to thank Dave Yeats and sunkidd who attempted to help me in obtaining dimensions for this project. Although that didn't work out, I appreciate their efforts. Thanks also to red57strat who is sending me some slot head neck screws.

I first got interested in this project after seeing one of the Snake Head Prototype reissues for sale on Ebay back in August. I collected all the pictures I could find on the Internet.

The body:
    The body is a two piece glue-up of Ponderosa Pine. I used a purchased Telecaster template and flipped the template to cut the jack area .............. I don't think the prototype had the flattened jack area. The bridge is from Warmoth and has steel saddles. I couldn't tell from the pictures whether they should be steel or brass. The original and the Custom Shop reissues have a square bridge plate. Modern three saddle bridge plates are longer in the string direction. That's the major difference I see when I look at the guitar. That also makes the pickguard look a little off.

The control plate was cut from aluminum and polished.

......[​IMG]

The neck:
    The neck is the Warmoth "Flat Paddle Pro". See the Warmoth site for further details. This neck has a heel adjustable trussrod and also has the side of the heel adjuster. This feature is good for this guitar because since there is no pickguard at the end of the neck, neck adjustment would otherwise require removing the neck. I ordered the neck with no fretboard markers. I've read that the original had painted fretboard dots ......... I inlaid mine. The neck came with 22 frets and a Strat heel. I had to cut off the fretboard overlay and have attempted to disquise the Strat heel. I had ordered a neck from Warmoth once before. ............. a 12 string neck I used on a Telecaster conversion. I didn't think to ask for straight grain or to order a quarter sawn neck. When I opened the box, I thought "Oh crap"! A nice figured neck like this would ordinarily be desirable for a guitar neck but not for this particular project........... Oh well. The tuners are reissues of the old tuners used on Fender lap steels. They're from Stew-Mac. They're installed without the ferrules.

One good thing about building one of these ............ there's no headstock decal issue.

Here are a few more pictures.

Cutting the head stock with radial saw.

......[​IMG]

......[​IMG]

......[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  17. Mike Rice

Mar 2, 2003
    Hudson Valley
    Wow!

So basically, there was nothing to it!

Dude I hope you're proud of this little project. Of all the partscasters and homebrews I've seen on this site, I think this would be the one I'd most love to have.

Great job!!

18. Johnny Caster

Johnny Caster Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    San Antonio, TX
    That's what I was thinking, the neck wood is just too nice!

19. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Looks nice.

I might have to scrounge me up some of those templates and create a summer project.

Thanks for sharing.

20. Dazed and Confused

Dazed and Confused Tele-Meister

Nov 18, 2005
    Wow, i made a thread about that ages ago...thats beautiful :p!

21. Jack Wells

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    Retraction ...........

I said above that it was a two piece body. Actually, I guess it's three. I'd forgotten until I found this picture. This is what happens when you don't use enough double sided tape to tape the template to the body. The template slips, the router cuts where you didn't want it to and the air is filled with four letter words. This picture shows the patch before it was recut and rerouted. I now use lots of tape.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.