I bought a Blacktop Tele Today

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by melodicaster, Sep 18, 2010.

1. melodicaster

melodicaster Banned

My oldest son became such a good guitarist so fast & without even much of my help that I gave him my 1959 Les Paul a couple of years back as a reward. I don't really care much about $$$ value, & I really do like Fenders so much better. Gibbies make me lazy; I like a guitar that's super expressive & fights back a little. But this left me with no humbucker guitar at all & Fender had stopped making regular HH Teles. (I guess they didn't sell well, I don't know.)

Today, & a little part in remembrance of the 40th anniv. of the death of Hendrix, I went to a local Fender dealer to buy a guitar. I walk in & there it is. I'd heard all about them here & elsewhere online, but being so new I figured there wouldn't be many in stores yet (they're easily available at the major online outlets now).

It was just too much of a coincidence that the only one they had was the grayish silver one with a rosewood board -- the exact one I wanted. I have a phobia about red guitars & black ones suck up too much heat in summer outdoor gigs.

Now, I figured there is going to have to be something wrong with this one. I love Fender's MIM guitars but I also know that the chances are a bit higher for problems. I mean, we're talking about a $449 guitar, even cheaper than the Standard!

Nope, she's perfect. I looked & played her over for a good 15 minutes before I even plugged in. The guitar weighs in at 8.75 lbs., which is a bit on the heavy side, but the sustain is significantly higher than any of my other Teles, and I'm thinking this may be the reason.

Anyhow, I'd heard criticism about the quality of the pickups (alnicos w/ nickel covers). I think they sound just great -- fully potted (which I must have), too. I seriously doubt I'm going to change these out.

The bridge is acceptable, too. It's those Strat-type, bent metal pieces on a hard tail, like our current Am. Standards. If I make any mods at all, it'll be a change to the cut classic bridge w/ the 3-barrel brass, like Wilkinson now offers, a mere $32.

I'll post again, maybe, after I've my first date with her -- tonight. I'm too old & had too many guitars to "honeymoon." So this review isn't hyped in any way.

If they're all of similar quality as this, don't hesitate if you want HB's & don't want to forsake the Tele design.

2. M40A1

M40A1 TDPRI Member

A 59 LP? OMG! :p Daddy, can I come home! :lol: JK, very nice of you to do that. Who knows, maybe one day he will pass it on to one of his kids and the story will continue into another chapter. :cool:

3. melodicaster

melodicaster Banned

Before I sign out for now -- Yeah, you haven't heard the half of it. He's a pro musician now, but he's doing that uber popular electronica stuff with those hip hop beats. It just makes me want to . . . puke or something. Some of the melodies I actually do like. He has recorded the LP some on his home DAW & on recent releases. HE BETTER pass that along to the grandkids someday or, you know, I'll come flyin' out of that grave!

4. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

You are aware real 59 Les Paul stds can bring $750,000.

Still sure you dont care about the $$ value? LOL

5. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

You gave away a 59LP?!?

6. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe sell the LP, buy the son a house, and then think about where to invest the rest of your money?

Kidding... that's one heck of a gift, for sure.

7. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

I just looked up what Gary Moore sold the Peter Green 59 Les Paul for.

1.2 Million $.

It brought in more than a regular model because Peter Green and Gary owned it

8. chillman

chillman Tele-Afflicted

Electronica? Hip hop? I'm young and hip and into all that stuff a little bit, but a 59LP just does not belong in that music. That's like giving your son a '53 Corvette because he's a professional cab driver!

All joking aside, I hope he's taking care of it and respecting it because it's probably worth half a million dollars.

9. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I really do believe you bought a Blacktop Tele...

....sorry, not buying the '59 Les Paul story though.

10. melodicaster

melodicaster Banned

Too tired now, but I'm posting a review of the Blacktop Tele tomorrow. I played her at an outdoor gig, probably last outdoor of the year. Dry air but got almost 90 in the sun.

Yeah, Springsie, I doubt you will be buying it. That's my very own firstborn I'm talking about. Made him promise to always insure & never sell. I bought it in late '70. Worked all summer for it. Price? $500, & had no case. I though that a bit too much. Players where I'm from still considered them dogs back then. Only medium-to-light curly. He also works in a Brazilian classical into that stuff he does. I don't pretend to understand it, but it's all-the-rage popular; he brings home almost what I get & I've been in the business for decades.

Full Blacktop live report ASAP.

11. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

What's curly about a 59 LP? They where all flame top I believe. Got any pics? With all due respect, no one gives a guitar like that away in this day and age. If this story is true, I want you to adopt me! You don't by chance have the Mona Lisa hanging in your bathroom do ya?

12. Agave_Blue

Agave_Blue Friend of Leo's

Pffffttt. Don't be ridiculous. He gave that to his cousin Jean-Claude for a wedding gift. As I recall Jean-Claude works as a curator at some old museum in Paris now and has the painting stored there.

13. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Well, except for the Specials, Jr's and Customs.

14. Adam S

Adam S Tele-Meister

I smell bull sheeeeeeett!!!! :)

15. Stylemaster

Stylemaster Tele-Afflicted

I'll tag along to find out how this story shakes out.

16. LiamDalmon

LiamDalmon Tele-Holic

I'll buy the 59 LP thing. There musta been, what, a couple of thousand of the things made. They can't all be in the hands of folk with more money than sense.

Also, I'm naive. :p

17. gatc

gatc Tele-Meister

Thanks for these details... The pictures on the Fender website are confusing, they show block saddles similar to the MIM Standard.

Are these bent steel saddles exactly the same as the Am standard? Same material?

Regards

18. backsideslappy

backsideslappy Tele-Afflicted

Damn, a guy comes in here to tell a story about a new guitar he's picked up and you're all on his back callin' B.S. Bit rough lads, given that the '59LP is not really the point of the thread.

19. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

+1

20. 99TJ

99TJ TDPRI Member

Its not like he gave his 59 LP to some dude off the street, its his first born. Who better to give a classic instrument to. If I had an original blackguard that's who it would be going to.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.