Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I am REALLY confused...models

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by guitarmoron, Sep 26, 2017.

1. guitarmoron

guitarmoron TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2014
    arkansas
    just when I thought I had it all straighto_O, what squire/fender teles use non standard bridges, pickguards, hardware etc? meaning I want to buy an inexpensive Tele, and just be able to order bridges, pickguards, pickups etc.. and just bolt on. I don't want to order one and realize, crap it wont fit.

I am sure most forum members could probably do this off the top of there head, but remember I am the GUITARMORON:lol:

please help thanks!

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    This might help:

There's no real definition of "standard." If you want to replace a bridge, just order the same type of bridge. Same thing with pickguards. Pickups are either single coil neck and/or bridge, or humbucker neck and/or bridge. (There are also P90s, but don't worry about that now.)

Just find the guitar you like. You'll have no problem finding replacement parts for it later on.

JustABluesGuy and Randypttt like this.

3. rooboo

rooboo TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    Even Fender uses two kinds of tele bridges.
    1. The traditional "vintage" with the string holes at the rear and 4 mounting screw holes a bit closer to the neck.
    2. The modern "standard" with 3 mounting screws at the rear and the string holes a bit closer to the neck side.

This has been up for discussion here before. Search the forum. This is a pic I found showing differences in the two Fender bridge style drilling schemes. Red is vintage style, grey is modern.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    10thoufirst and boris bubbanov like this.

4. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Yeah, there are a few things that are built to standard sizes such as pickups (mostly), but for everything else you gotta check it yourself. If you want new tuners, take off one tuner and measure the size of the hole really carefully, then check the specs of the tuners you are looking at to see if it will fit. You have to to do that no matter what guitar you buy. BUT - why buy a guitar that you are planning to change everything on? There are lots of nice guitars out there that are just fine like they are.
    I'm someone who is always "modding" guitars but it's just kinda fun to do. If I hated to do it or it stressed me out I wouldn't need to do it hardly at all.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

5. guitarmoron

guitarmoron TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2014
    arkansas
    Mainly for the fun of it and to create something different

6. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    Another piece of the puzzle:

MIM bodies, which come with six saddle bridges can accept a vintage three saddle bridge with no modifications. MIA Standards, Deluxes, and Professionals will not take a vintage bridge plate.

Fender pickguards should fit all MIM and MIA models. I don't know about MIC, but some of those may also take the Fender branded replacements, too.

Tuners are readily available for most, if not all models. Changing styles, however, may require the use of bushing, drilling new screw holes, and/or reaming the holes on the headstock.

I'm getting out of my depth, but some of the lower end Squier models may not accept certain parts, which are standard for most of the other models.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

When it comes to Squiers, remember these are Contractor guitars and named models can be made at different plants at the same time, with different specifications. Bullets and Affinities can vary a lot in terms of specifications. Squier Standards have for very long time not used a bridge "pattern" that's compatible with EITHER of the 2 templates that Rooboo has shown - likewise with these Bullets and Affinities.

In fact, the only "Squier" products that are essentially compatible with the "vintage template" are the Classic Vibes. There may be some Vintage Moderns but you gotta start with the assumption they will not be compatible with the vintage template.

The MIM Standard is your most "moddable" inexpensive FMIC guitar. Buy used, pay something like $ 250. Its weakest link is the fact that the neck is a standard thickness - you might want to stop for a second and figure out which neck section you want first and THEN get into modding later once that's established. No point IMO in modding a guitar if the neck is to slim for your liking.

8. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    You just need to do your research and shop carefully before you buy each piece.
    It's really not that difficult.

If you want a cookie-cutter roadmap for ALL Telecasters and ALL of the parts involved, BEFORE you even get started, well then, yeah....you're probably going to be overwhelmed and frustrated.
    As you've already learned - lots of options out there and very few real "standards."

You kinda have to just jump in and go for it.

That's fine, but you need SOME focus in order to ask the right questions about the direction you're going with a project.
    Most of us who are modding guitars are doing so with a specific goal in mind - for example, a 6-saddle vs. 3 saddle bridge, or looking for a brighter tone, or wanting a neck humbucker, etc....

Just saying, "I want a guitar to mod. What should get?" is just too open-ended to answer concisely.

If that really is what you want to do, then just find a guitar in your price range and start the process.

OR, maybe you have an end-goal in mind and you start collecting parts that will get you there - rather than buying an existing guitar.

Unless you like everything else about the guitar and the mod you want to make is to replace the neck. ;)

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Here's a novel idea: buy a nice MIM and keep it stock. A new bridge, pickguard or tuners won't make it sound any better. Maybe replace the pickups.
    A new Squier with upgraded bridge, tuners, saddles will add up in cost anyway.

notmyusualuserid likes this.

10. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Meister

May 3, 2016
    Scotland
    And different types of pickguard...5 hole, 8 hole, drilled for neck pickup, not drilled for body-mounted pick up

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

11. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Buying a good used MIM is almost always a good place to start. No need to change anything right away. Play it for awhile- figure out what you like and then think about changes - if any.

No need to rush. Once you have some experience, then you'll have a better feel for your tele and whether or not you want to change anything.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

12. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I think we're confusing him.

But that's our job anyway, right?

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, I have done that. More than once!!

I just....didn't want to be recommending it to new guys. :^)

crossroader likes this.

14. guitarmoron

guitarmoron TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2014
    arkansas
    yall have been very helpful and I appreciate it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.