Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I always wanted *blank* but now......

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tonyv77, May 18, 2017.

1. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis
    I always wanted a Super Reverb but nowadays I'll settle for less lower back pain (my old Hellhound is heavy enough).;)

tonyv77 likes this.

2. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    I've been through the half stack and the vintage combo routes myself.
    I had s 50w Voodoo Plex and a 4x10 slant-front Marshall cab. It was so sweet cranked, just heavenly; but just *deeply* impractical. It was way too much. Way, way, way too much. I got sick of being "that guy" off to the side of the stage but blowing everyone else off it and driving the audience to the back of the bar.
    The old combos were fun, but fussy and occasionally dangerous. I owned an Ampeg Rocket, a Kalamazoo, a couple Univoxes and Traynors and had the long term loan of a Gibson Explorer amp.
    Now I'm perfectly happy with a brand new amp. A Fender Bassbreaker 15. It pretty much literally does everything the amps I name above could do. With the exception of the deep, weird, overdriven, swampy tremolo on the Gibson. That was magic.

tonyv77 likes this.

3. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2016
    Blues country
    I've always wanted a Marshall JTM45... but know... I still want a Marshall JTM45.

The heart wants what the heart wants :rolleyes:

tonyv77 likes this.

4. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I always wanted a Twin too, but I wound up with a DRRI that does everything I could ever want out of a Twin except to deafen people.

And I've got an Ampeg VT22 for that.

5. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I'm over GAS as far as I can tell, and in my scheme of things I'm a relative newcomer to electrics - about 20 years. :( My tastes haven't really changed at all, I like clean bright amps and acoustic-like tones, and I've got two amps that work for me. However, in spite of being GAS free, I do sometimes wonder about modern SS amps or the clean channels on a Mesa Transatlantic that I tried years ago.

6. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Meister

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    I owned a Twin from '95 to '99; I sold it when kid #1 arrived. Today I have a Quilter 101 Mini (Class D) and a 1-12 neo cab (Emi 'Lil Texas). Gone from loud to light.

7. danlad

danlad Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2015
    Here and there
    I always thought my first real pay would go on a Marshall & an SG. It went on saving for a pokey flat.

8. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I always wanted a vintage Deluxe Reverb, but now I have one.

9. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    super reverb. Then it was too small! Then I got older and could use it now, but now it's too heavy.

10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Bought a Rivera Super Champ brand new in about '84 and used that until my friends got bigger, louder amps. Through my 20's I wanted a Marshall Stack; I thought I was on the standard "rich and famous" path per the Muppet Movie. I did end up with a 100-watt JCM 900 2 x 12" combo that I put on a 2 x 12" extension cabinet to basically make a half stack. I remember cleaning out a beam of seats in front of my amp in many otherwise packed pubs and brewhouses. Didn't use it much after the '90s but held onto it until just three or so years ago. Sold both the Super Champ and the JCM.

Since then I've become somewhat of an amp junkie looking for low wattage and variety in my available tones. Now I've got my AC15C1, a Blackstar HT Studio 20 (took care of my Marshall cravings), a Super Champ XD, a Peavey Bandit 112.

Next on the list is probably an Orange solid state.

Minimalist518 likes this.

11. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I can't believe I just put my JCM800 on consignment at my local music store. It has THE sound I lusted after for so many years. But I hardly use it and just got something even better so off it goes. It's nice to be an adult with enough $$ that you can have a few great tube amps. My 15 year old gear dreams have been realized and then some, 39 years later. One silver lining to getting older, I guess.

Minimalist518 likes this.

12. deech54

deech54 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2014
    nicaragua
    For years I regretted trading my 59 Bassman for a Deluxe Reverb....now I wish I had the Deluxe back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.