Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

I ain't got 300 bucks

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Gary Mitchell, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Tele-Afflicted

Mar 14, 2010
    central tx
    I don't have 300 bucks to spend on a overdrive pedal. Is there anything out there alot cheaper that could come close to a Okko Diablo. I sure like that sound.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I like the Durham Mucho Boosto.
    The old bigger box ones have less drive than the newer
    small box model.
    I'd say the newer one has about 25% more gain.
    You can sometimes find em' used for $100ish bucks.
    They used to retail for about $219.

3. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

Nov 9, 2012
    Toronto
    Fulltone Fulldrive Mosfet 2 - OD + Boost in one pedal. $190 tax inc brand new

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. chesire

chesire Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2010
    The Ol' Pueblo
    Get something that is good for the Blues... with a thread starter like that I want some soulful lyrics now : )

I liked the EWS Brute Drive which is also a Distortion + Boost set up and gets some similar sounds.

6. smoss469

smoss469 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2007
    West Virginia
    Build your own! Tagboard has the verified layout up. Shouldn't cost more than maybe $50 in parts + some of your time.

7. Vomact

Vomact TDPRI Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Go for it.

I don't have $300 bucks either, or $207. 40 for that matter.

However that story has already been told and passed into internet oblivion.

May it rest in peace.

There are plenty of 'build your own' sites on the web. Some require membership to access board diagrams and the build out instructions.

After my experience of the last few months (and days) god knows I will be rolling my own in the future.

If you can wield a soldering iron and know the difference bewteen a resistor, a cap and diode you should be all set. I would recommend a good multimeter.

A grounding strap and pad is also advised. You don't want to blow out any IC's.

:D

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  8. smoss469

smoss469 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2007
    West Virginia
    Tagboard is a free site run by a cool guy. They have a lot of pedal layouts put up, almost 1 per day on average. Some mass produced, some defunct, some home brew ROG type stuff and even "boutique" pedals. A great community over there. IVIark and Mirsol do a fantastic job.

The only drawback? A lot of them seem to be from Europe (Not bad but it means a lot of the links they post to great deals, cool items etc aren't as viable for US based readers)

9. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

+1 Tagboard, Mark has even taken time to answer a few of my noob questions. I am still a beginner but I have built a Emerson Drive and a Super Hard On using their Vero layouts. Working on another SHO with a Volume and the Cornish Buffer now. Good stuff.

10. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2010
    tucson, az
    It all depends upon what you want to sound like. . .you can get some okay pedals used and there's some NIB that are cheap and good.

Check out a website like Musicians Friend and sort for Effects pedals, then category distortion/overdrive/fuzz etc. then sort price from low to high.

Next look for the youtube demos for pedals in your price range. Next you can go to the Guitar Center website for used pedals to get an idea of what the price range for those pedals is used.

Then check out Craig's list, pawn shops or wherever used pedals are sold for the best deal. .

11. Gary Mitchell

Mar 14, 2010
    central tx
    I don't like crunchy, I like a good creamy smooth overdrive. I was told to look at a JoYo Sweet Baby, it was suppose to be cool for a cheaper pedal and built very well.

12. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2011
    Jasper, TN
    There are tons of great pedals for less than 100 dollars, for that matter, less than 50. You could by several pedals. I would go to a big music store and start trying them out.

13. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    Machine Head Pedals. Excellent OD in many shades.

http://www.machineheadpedals.com/

14. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Sweetwater is running a sale on Fulltone Pedals.. MOSFET 2 is $143

15. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    Meh, that OKKO thing didn't sound any better than my MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe. The boost makes it sound like a Metal Zone. Double meh. The MOOER Rumble Drive is also "smoov and creemy". That means it's NOT super high gain and the tone emphasizes the low mids and there's not a ton of chirp on the note attack.

16. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Used Fulldrive pre-mosfet FD2 (light blue one with 3-way togggle)- $99 on ebay. Bad Monkey- $50 new.

17. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I have heard the Okko Diablo a few times. It does always sound rather fat. The
    player is great which helps too. You would think you could find something
    like that on this side of the Atlantic...for a decent price..I guess just experimenting.,
    ...but, that will cost too....lol

18. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2010
    Texas
    Great rich sounding OD pedal with good low end but of course most of Burgerman's videos make the pedals sound good...:)

19. Gary Mitchell

Mar 14, 2010
    central tx
    I listen to the MHP RAW Preamp, I think I like it maybe but 190 bucks.

20. rockmaster

rockmaster TDPRI Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Delaware, USA
    Just get a DS-1 and mod it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.