Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Hygiene and work

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, May 1, 2012.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Well, that about says it. Here's the situation. I have heard stories from people about some poor soul who has cleanliness issues in the workplace. I have never heard a good outcome, where someone successfully conveys to a smelly colleague that they wish that person would bathe more/better. Everyone who gets this news takes is very, very badly. Usually these are short-term, low-level jobs, so the person moves on, unable to cope with the humiliation.

Where I teach, I have one office and two assistants, both of whom start in a couple of weeks. One of them smells a little funky, which my years of experience attributes more to laundry than bathing. It won't take long for the office to get pretty stuffy. Even if they both keep separate hours, I doubt that the room would air out enough.

Because I have heard of only bad outcomes to hygiene discussions, I am not inclined to say anything to the particular assistant. What I am seeking here is advice on how to approach this.

Any ideas?

2. DeepSouth

DeepSouth Former Member

I worked with someone who wouldn't wear deodorant for religious/cultural reasons and she really ponged let me tell you - enough to make me nauseous.

I didn't have the guts to say anything though and also because she was such a nice person - but if she wasn't nice soul I might have put the foot down.

On a funnier note I also years ago worked with a girl named Jean. Every day I would say Hi Jean until I worked out that 'Hi Jean' sounded exactly like Hygiene :mrgreen:

3. DeepSouth

DeepSouth Former Member

... oops double post

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. TelecasterBlooz

TelecasterBlooz Tele-Afflicted

We had a blackjack dealer(s) not wash their hands after using the restroom and infected a whole slew of other employees with norovirus. Blackjack dealers are loud, boistrous, ill mannered and generally slovenly when it comes to personal hygiene. I report 'em on a regular basis, and they get fired on a regular basis...

6. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Take little pine cones car deodorant, shred it, get some cigarette rolling papers, roll the shredded bits, cut hem in half inch length, stuff hem up your nose.
    The easy solution is to smear some Vicks on your upper lip

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

7. Schmikey

Schmikey Tele-Holic

I work as a health inspector, and I've given restaurant staff, managers and owners some very "honest" opinions about the condition of their establishments. But nothing is more difficult than telling someone that they have bad personal hygiene, perhaps we've even received complaints from their clients about it. Very difficult thing to do.

8. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Buy an electronic air freshener.

9. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

This is where a good fart can be very handy in getting the message across .:oops:
    There are many smell unfriendly substances out there . If you are so offended by the odor of another person , try introducing a scent to the mix that they find offensive .
    When they complain to you or about you , present your complaint to them . This may help them to understand your position . Tact is very important when dealing with situations like this and it works best when you allow the other party to shoot first .
    My dad would step out of the bathroom after bathing and smell exactly like he did when he entered after putting on clean clothing . My mom washed the clothing and my clothes smelled clean when I put them on . To someone that did not know , they would have wrongly attributed this to dirty/poorly cleaned clothing .

10. Scott57

Scott57 Tele-Meister

Febreze air freshener and Glade Stick-ups.....lots of Glade Stick-ups.

11. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

Is incense out of the question? Fabreze?

12. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

Aren't there any basic code of conduct and/or work attire/ hygiene practices and presentation policies in place? Are there not basic expectations where you work that clearly state employees must be clean and wear clothes that are clean and presentable?

Nowadays there seems to be signs everywhere saying, 'This A Fragrance Free Zone' Why can't there be signs saying,'This is a B.O. Free Zone' How about, 'Have Some Consideration For Your Co-Wokers, Don't be A 'Stinky' Human'. The 'stink' could cover both natural albeit offensive smells and self-induced smells like cheap colonge and/or cheap deodorant.

13. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

A polite Anonymous note could help... You could also try to put it in a place that does not relate to your office specifically. (as it indicates one of the 2 of you) Being anonymous means that they would be a bit more self conscious (they should be, it's simple respect and consideration) everywhere instead of your office only.

14. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Holic

A lot of people seem to have breath problems where I work, I don't really smell BO or dirty clothes but a lot of halitosis. Maybe its the massive amounts of coffee we drink here. That being said, I am turning into Dewey Cox as I have more and more trouble smelling things

When I get a bad taste in my mouth I make sure to have gum on hand.

15. toddfan

toddfan Tele-Holic

...anonymous note sent to them, or left on their work area?

:oops:

16. rocksteady Max

rocksteady Max Tele-Afflicted

Either you tell the person to get his hygiene checked out or you get another assistant.
    Unfortunately the later option will get you less trouble but a guilty conscience for a while ...

17. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Bring a child to work with you. Let them get a sniff. The child will say what's on his/her mind with no repercussions while you stand there looking innocent.

18. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Form letter to the department, saying there have been complaints and we don't want to have to call individuals out?

19. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Holic

hahahaha look at the ad that popped up for this thread

[​IMG]

:mrgreen:

20. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

It's not always the low level jobs. I work at a research lab and there are many well paid engineers and scientists here who are that way. One girl in particular must only bathe every few days. If you catch her on her off days, look out! There are a few with poor bathroom habits too. I just don't get how these folks passed kindergarten. This is the one thing The Big Bang Theory gets wrong. At least one of the main characters should have personal hygiene issues in order to accurately represent the community they are portraying.

21. rocksteady Max

rocksteady Max Tele-Afflicted

Forget subtle hints. This very week-end I talked about smelly people to my smelly collegue and asked him about the Peanut's character name. He laughed and told me it was Pig Pen ... [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.