Hybrid Picking hand pain

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by 51telecaster, May 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. 51telecaster

51telecaster TDPRI Member

Does anyone else get pain in their picking hand after practicing hybrid stuff for a long period? After I practice this for a few hours, when I open my picking hand I get this weird numbing feeling for a second and where my knuckles and fingers meet hurts in certain position. Is this normal? Maybe I'm plucking my fingers too hard

2. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Think about getting yourself checked for carpal tunnel syndrome. The pain may be related to a pinch point from holding the pick and finger picking at the same time. See if a thumb pick helps. At this point, if you’re still developing your style, you may do better with a technique that sounds like hybrid that you can play pain free.

3. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

All I can say is it’s vital to keep your hand relaxed. Tension will cause all sorts of trouble

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

I think pain comes with adapting to all new techniques. If hybrid picking is something you have done and usually feel comfortable with it might be worth getting your hand checked out. If you are still adapting to it I wouldn't worry too much, just don't over do things.

5. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Takes pauses more often. Like 5 mns every half hour. It helps me.

6. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

Make sure you have good range of motion in your shoulders. If you don't, work on it. If your hand hurts, STOP playing the moment you feel discomfort. You can do damage you can't get recover easily from if you mess something up. Shoulders. I'm telling you. It was a revelation for me.

7. Journeyman 22

Journeyman 22 TDPRI Member

Warm up your fingers on both hands stretch them every so often. CT though is another matter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.