Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

HX stomp incoming

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Danjabellza, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    After months of teetering back and forth, I finally ordered the HX stomp today. It’s a bit of a compromise, as I would prefer the full helix, but it’s a lot more affordable and since I already have the HX effects it exceeds my needs. Very excited to get it dialed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  2. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    So, you will now have two HX Stomps?

3. Danjabellza

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    Oh! Shoot! Fixed it, I have the HX effects. Too excited to type good. Haha

sirbergersworth likes this.
  4. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Congrats... the two units (Effects & Stomp) would make a great tandem, especially if you midi them together to keep them synced.

Danjabellza likes this.
  5. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

interesting. What is your aim in having the two devices?

Effects in to the Stomp for amps?

I have an LT but am tempted on a stomp for travel and recording etc on my desk. BUT it seems overkill so haven't bitten the bullet yet.

Danjabellza likes this.
  6. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2012
    Southern California
    I have an HX Stomp and I love it.

Danjabellza likes this.
  7. Danjabellza

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    So, I think I’m going to run effects into stomp and use midi for easier switching, and then possibly run back into the effects from the stomp for post effects.

JeffBlue likes this.
  8. Danjabellza

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    Here it is! My new all in 1 rig. Haven’t gotten to tweak the stomp yet, but I did play through it on its own and it sounds great! As of now no midi or fancy switching, just volume into HXFX into HX stomp. Once I get a feel for it I’ll build up more purpose built options. **edit** it’s occurring to me now, that I can just send another 2 patch cables from the stomp back into the HX effects now for post effects creating the wet/dry effect. Fun! image.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Tubeboy likes this.
  9. codamedia

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    How do you plan on monitoring a Wet/Dry/Wet setup?
    Also... can you share (not a patch, just in writing) your proposed "effect chain"? I'm curious what you are thinking of doing.

Danjabellza likes this.
  10. Danjabellza

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    For monitoring at home right now, all I have is my THR10C on the flat channel which sounds surprisingly good, not as good as a full FRFR would sound, but, it works. I also have some Se-215 in ears that I use playing at church that sound decent as well. But, down the road id like to get a pair of some kind of FRFR speakers when I have a more dedicated space to setup/play.

Currently, my main effects setup is LA comp-Klon-Timmy-OCD-Delay-ganamede reverb-plateaux reverb.

When I get everything setup I’ll run a mono path from the drive section into the HX stomp, then split the signal in the stomp into 2 amps(models to be decided) then two returns back to the HX effects then I can choose between mono/stereo outs to front of house.

Playing at my church is where I do the vast majority of my playing out. I can run stereo there no problem. Unfortunately for me, our in ear system doesn’t have true stereo options, I don’t think... I’ll have to talk to the sound tech and see if we can swing it...

But, my motivation for the setup is getting the most portable, good sounding rig without breaking my back or my wallet. It’s not CHEAP(!) but having the cost spread out and all the different amp options makes the value a lot higher for me.

I was already using this bag with the HX effects and my tweaker combo, so the bag got a little heavier, but I ditched the weight of the amp, have a ton more amp sounds, and don’t have to worry about my tube amp overheating in the back room. Or having to worry about doors being opened/“eft open to the sanctuary.

codamedia likes this.
  11. codamedia

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Thanks... that clears it up for me... I was having a hard time visualizing your setup.
    Good luck... hope it works out for you.

Danjabellza likes this.
  12. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

May 20, 2017
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Just remember to check your FOH sound. I plugged straight into a powered PA speaker at practice one night and it sounded very bad. Now i know you typically plug into a mixer first and you can EQ it there but i don't know if any amount of EQ could have fixed it. Yes i did have the unit set to line. On the other hand I plug it into a Sony Bluetooth speaker in the living room and it sounds great.

Danjabellza likes this.
  13. Danjabellza

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    I’ll be sure to do that. Last thing I want is for it to sound bad. As inconvenient as it is to run the amp in the side room, it sounded good. So, hopefully this isn’t a step in the altogether wrong direction. I know the headphones out sounds awful. Lucky for me the sound guy at my church is also my dad, so I’ll have plenty of opportunities to fine tune it. I just need to read up a lot on all the other little settings in the amps: reflections, sag, the bias knobs and a couple others that don’t come to mind just now.

14. codamedia

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    They shouldn't.... just sayin'....

Are you over thinking all of this? When you ran a pedal board and amp, did you run a "wet/dry/wet" rig? When was the last time you put your amp on the workbench and re-biased it? When moving to a modeling rig I advocate that people re-create what they are used to before experimenting with advanced routing and features.

Just because all of the options are now available doesn't mean you need to use them. If you haven't' setup a great tone to start with, that's a rabbit hole best avoided ;)

Just my 2 cents...

Danjabellza likes this.
  15. codamedia

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    EQ on a mixer is for room correction, and general "mixing"... it is not there to fix a guitar tone that doesn't quite cut it ;)

If you set your tones up on a bluetooth speaker in the living room, I wouldn't expect it to translate to a powered PA speaker, or a mixer, or a studio desk, etc... etc... You should be setting tones up on a good set of reference speakers, at a level that is similar to stage volume (90db or more).

I find a lot of people are willing to pay relatively big dollars for a quality guitar modeler but don't put any thought or value into how they plan on hearing it? IMO - this choice is equally as important as the modeler itself.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 11:19 PM
    Danjabellza likes this.
  16. Danjabellza

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    No I was not. That’s a small part of the appeal though, being able to do such things. I agree though that I need to get some good tones established before mucking about with craziness. My biggest hindrance right now is my in ears in the headphone out of the HX stomp sound lousy. But, I’m still figuring out the details of dialing in an amp sound.

17. Danjabellza

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    As soon as I get the chance, I’m going to set up in the with a cable going straight into the board, where I can hear myself in the mains and fine tune my sound that way.

codamedia likes this.
  18. codamedia

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Fair enough! I totally agree on the appeal of the product... I'm just suggesting you walk before you run :)

I think you answer your own concern here. The headphone out likely isn't the culprit, it's just amplifying what it is being sent.

In my earlier posts this evening I mention the lack of attention people spend on how they will "hear" their Helix... "headphone choice" is also part of that equation. I don't know what you are using, but I do hope they are decent quality or you won't stand a chance.

Danjabellza likes this.
  19. Danjabellza

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    It’s my shure se212 in ears. they’re good, not great. By no means bad. From what I’ve seen online the headphones out on the full helix is a different preamp or something of the like, which gives it a lower overall quality signal. The stomp, I assume is the same.

20. codamedia

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    It's a headphone amp... It uses the same signal as the OUTPUTS... but it provides a small amount of power (likely class D) to amplify the headphones. There may be headphone amps and in ear monitors that have more features... but (IMO) there is nothing wrong with the general quality of the headphone amp in the Helix.

Your "in ears" are ok, but they are consumer, not professional. They are LIGHT YEARS ahead of anything that comes with an iphone, and are a wonderful replacement... but that's about it. They are not in the same league as a true set of "in ears"...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 11:46 PM
    Danjabellza likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.