Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

HVLP vs LVLP for Urethane

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by funkymann1, Mar 30, 2016.

1. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2012
    Cooper City Florida
    I have an 8 gallon compressor & have been using the purple gun from hf forever..everything is fine except the clear coat....problom is i notice some guns are not as easy to dial in & overspraying on 2 & 3 coat sometimes happens to easily & runs happen which im trying to avoid...again it only happens one some of the guns as i know what im doing & have been doing it for a while with this equipment...
    was wondering if anyone ever used an lvlp gun...i was checking this one out at HD & dont know if since its the cheapest of the bunch if it will be any better...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SPRAYIT-LVLP-Gravity-Feed-Spray-Gun-SPRAYIT-SP-33000/202977425

2. McCart

McCart TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2016
    California
    I believe that you get what you pay for in spray guns. If you ever use a good gun, you will never use these cheap guns again. There isn't any need to buy new. Look for a used Sata or Iwata gun. It is the only gun you will ever need, for anything. I say that being the cheapest person on this planet.

Cary

3. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    I tend to gravitate to the cheap guns, but what McCart said is absolutely true. There is a world of difference between my DeVilbiss guns and my "purple" guns.

DrASATele likes this.

4. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2012
    Cooper City Florida

5. Rano Bass

Rano Bass Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2014
    Tijuana/San Diego
    I just bought the Sprayit LVLP gun a few months ago and it is my main gun now for 2k urethane.

AlterEgo likes this.

6. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Tele-Meister

Apr 8, 2014
    Portland, ME
    Rano what kind of booth setup do you have for spraying 2k? Do you have to spray it outside? I had someone request a 2k finish about a month ago but I've never worked with it before so declined. Obviously like any other finish I'm sure it has a learning curve but curious of what you think of it, especially as someone who has used varathane. One of the things I liked most about varathane was that it doesn't feel like a plastic thick finish like modern polyester resin finishes. I'd be interested in giving it a shot to be able to offer a tougher finish option. Thanks for any feedback you could provide.

7. Rano Bass

Rano Bass Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2014
    Tijuana/San Diego
    Well since I dont spray that often (about one instrument per month) I don't really have a booth.
    I spray in my garage with a side door open and the front curtain opened halfway.
    I do like it because I just need to spray 3 or 4 coats ten minutes apart to finish a whole instrument, let it dry about 24 hours and its ready to sand and buff, and it is really not as thick as polyester.

JAckal66 likes this.

8. tanhar020

tanhar020 NEW MEMBER!

Sep 22, 2017
    US
    I agree with you Rano. It posses lowest over-spray level. It provides excellent services for Urethane. Sprayit LVLP spray gun is amazon's best choice. You can also check price on amazon.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.