Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hurricane Michael Thread

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Phrygian77, Oct 8, 2018.

1. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    :( - it makes you wonder why some choose not to evacuate .(video credit to bluejazzoid)

2. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Yeah, I do wonder. I kinda get the desire to hunker down but not enough to stay.

We spent a large part of yesterday watching news & looking at posts on FB from people who own and/or live at our winter spot. It appears that our spot was spared somewhat: winds not Cat 4, storm surge up to 12’ but most homes are on pilings above that and suffered relatively minor wind & surge damage. The older homes and those built close to grade were extensively damaged and I’m sure some will be total losses. I feel terrible for some friends that live in those. The post office across the causeway had two boats in its driveway, and the road E is impassable with a lotta destruction in that direction, not to mention the total havoc to the W.

My wife has the strange predilection to want to buy a place everywhere we visit that is nice. She pushed me repeatedly to consider a place down there, and while I refused to waste a realtor’s time she looked at a couple cheaper ones. Mexico Beach is maybe 40-45 miles as the crow flies from our spot, and I think the Missus has finally lost her ownership desire.

kuvash, william tele and tery like this.
  3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Evacuation is tricky.

People make the decision to leave or not to leave, for the strangest of reasons. They may feel beaten down by the news of the world/current events, or they just can't bear to think about preparedness and the car is not running right or there was a birthday party or football game they were all focused on. Pawpaw or Aunt Becky is in the hospital - do we just drive away and leave them?

We were evacuating New Orleans at least twice a year by 2001 but we also saw people at the World Trade Centers going willingly into Ground Zero and you get tired of retreating and are in a foul mood - you wanna stand and fight. You weary of borrowing cars from people and overstaying your welcome with friends in Baton Rouge and so on. Finally, after feisty Tropical Storm Cathy in early 2005, the storms stopped coming that summer and we let out guard down. And it does no good when the Mayor wipes out the old tyme support system (Trey or Lefty coming around to tell Grandma a bus will be coming, the tribe can pack and leave as a family) and sort of leaves every person to fend for themselves (and they're simply not used to this). I was doing all sorts of taking cars to safety and etc., 3 days before Katrina hit and all my neighbors thought I was over-reacting at the time.

You need enough time to go - there was so little time. You also need someone you know, to come tell you to leave. Texts and such? Is not the same thing.

Some people need 3-4 days to pull off a successful evacuation. But 3 days before landfall, Michael was just some thunderstorms off the Yucatan Peninsula. And yet storms that march across the Atlantic and threaten for 10 days is almost just as bad. You almost have to decide, do I do everything based on storms or do I live a normal life?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Ira7, Stubee and tery like this.
  4. boris bubbanov

One thing about Modern Society, where certain forces are competing on Social Media and TV for the eyeballs and attention of their fellow citizens. It doesn't matter if it is the NFL or local politics or NASCAR or some rap personality married to someone famous for doing nothing - or national politics. This constant barrage of distractions IMO prevents people from focusing on and addressing the difficult choices that lay before them.

Sometimes I think, when there's a storm bearing down on a TV market, we should clamp down on all extraneous nonsense distractions. A scared and confused person who needs to get their schidt together and execute an evacuation does not need to know if Chase Elliott won or not and he or she does not need pearls of wisdom from Kanye. Just cut off all cable transmissions of "escape" subject material and force people to get a grip on themselves, pack the truck and head for safety.

If you are in an evacuation zone, being ordered to leave within 4 hours, and you are trying to find out which direction to go and what to bring, should there be commercial interruptions? If you want people to appreciate that it is an emergency, you have to suspend commercials. And the Lottery drawing. And the Jimmy Kimmel feed. And probably much more.

william tele, stxrus and tery like this.
  5. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nah, they just moved it from Tallahassee for the night.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  6. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2007
    St. Croix, USVI
    dkmw, I saw the smilie & understood. My point was y’all will be getting power back in relatively short order, hopefully

The first time I wished I had a generator was in Dallas around 1980. Massive ice/snow event. Most of the city and surrounding areas were dark. We moved down the street to mt gfs sisters house. Fireplace, gas stove, & a generator to run the fridge & some lights. Every day I took water from her house to my apt to keep my tropical fish alive. Four days after the power went off a new xformer was installed. Power was back!!! Within 24 hours that xformer blew and I was told, too bad you are on the bottom of the list.

Again, back to moving water to keep the fish alive. Less than 12 hours before we got power back the pair of mated Oscars died. Many of the others didn’t make it. About $2,000.00 in fish gone. Total power outage for me was just over 12 days.

All is good but I’ll never be without a generator to operate my house and a backup

dkmw likes this.
  7. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Just saw footage from Panama City. It's a real mess.

While the beach area to the west didn't get it too bad.

8. boris bubbanov

This is the pattern. The exposure on the beachside on the right side of the storm multiplies the force on the building and it can be coupled with storm surge and huge waves on top of that. But if you're on the Left side, the buildings with Northern or eastern exposure fail first and the reinforced buildings directly on the water can usually handle the strain, as they're protected on the leeward side.

I lost the Northerly 40% of my roof, flew off all in one big slab, in Katrina and sure enough, that side faced a boulevard with a canal running down the middle of it. The Parish had widened the road and expropriated the land where the protective trees had been - left that side wholly exposed. And from the North was where our worst winds came from with the eye passing to the right.

9. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I think I heard 5 dead so far in that county, and they haven't even begun doing much house to house.

10. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    A generator couldn't power my AC, unless it was a huge one that I can't afford or have the space to store. As far as installing one of those permanent back up units, I just can't see the value in it.

Thousands of dollars versus a week or two of possible inconvenience?

11. boris bubbanov

When the power goes off, darkness and no HVAC, the alligators in the Everglades know it is every being for itself. Bon Appetit!

tery likes this.
  12. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The alligators near me are real whimpy and smaller than how large they're supposed to grow.

There's nothing for them to feed on.

13. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Did Phyrgian77 get power back yet?

14. heyalexmckenzie

heyalexmckenzie TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2018
    Canada
    Six people lost their lives in Florida. Keep safe everyone.

15. boris bubbanov

Mexico Beach was such a sleepy little place, the last time I passed through. There's no exposed barrier island out front of it, so you really ARE on the Gulf and the breezes kept it nice there when it was stifling in other Panhandle towns. But now, all but the very best built structures are demolished. I am NOT saying if your friends or family cannot be found, that there's no hope - because people find a way oftentimes. But having said that, the current death toll of 11 is just the tip of the iceberg. There's clearly not enough "stuff", not enough debris to approximate all the structures they had there. Where they find this debris, this is where the survivors or victims will be found. Or, well, this is what happened in Camille. I remember canoeing Catahoula Creek, the Hobolochitto and the Wolf and Dead Tiger Creek and finding all sorts of building materials, clothing and household stuff, miles from where they probably started and 5 years after Camille hit. That's why I couldn't go back to those same areas after Katrina - I wasn't prepared for more of that. (that and water mocs).

stxrus, Stubee and tery like this.
  16. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Good point boris - there is no way to know who evacuated or who is missing .

boris bubbanov likes this.
  17. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Stunning footage here from Mexico Beach:

kuvash likes this.
  18. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Yes, yesterday, a little after noon. Lot's of folks still without power though, so we're lucky. Cell phone internet service was spotty also, especially Verizon. We just got cable and internet back early this afternoon, also lucky.

I found out today that my gear is safe at the restaurant. As of last night, we were still on to play tonight. My bass player called this afternoon, and said the gig was canceled and he was picking up his gear. The restaurant decided to close to the public and they're serving emergency workers, linemen, etc. I'll be picking up my stuff tomorrow.

I had to drive into Tallahassee today to run an errand. I was surprised to see long lines at the gas stations still. Also, I noticed several disabled vehicles on the sides of the highways/roadways. I assume they ran out of gas. I'm glad I was able to fill up before the storm.

william tele likes this.
  19. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Yesterday, we were pretty much in the dark as far as local news. We caught some stuff on the radio, but they were mostly talking about people not being able to get back to Panama City. The only local station I could pull in with rabbit ears on the TV was PBS.

That was practically worthless. After watching Create TV for a few hours, I decided to go see if I could get some movies on DVD. Walmart was still closed, but I managed to find a Red Box at the local CVS that was working and taking cards. The only thing left in there that I though might be worth watching was Oceans 8. It was okay, better than I expected, and better than watching PBS... lol

20. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    The lines at the gas stations may have been for generator gas. Gas and ice (and beer if you didn’t lay in enough of a supply) are the most precious commodities after a storm.

I’m sure you’ve seen reports of the devastation just to your west. You escaped!:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.