Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hurricane Michael Thread

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Phrygian77, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    If your Weber is 12 years old, it ain't garbage. The newer ones are. It's a shame. I'm thinking about buying a PK to replace it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    william tele likes this.
  2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Here I was worried you were going to get impaled by a 150 mph airborne artifact...and now you're living the dream! Anyway, I bought my Weber about 4 years ago and it's just as robust as any piece of cooking equipment you could find for $89 minus the 15% store coupon in the paper. It does all I ask and is perfectly temperature adjustable.

Maybe I'll figure out when those float trips are on the Wakula and schedule a visit. Such a freakin' beautiful river. I guess the only gator attack I'm aware of was up in the springs long ago so you're probably right about the river.

Glad you squeaked by the cain. Take care, bud!

Phrygian77 likes this.
  3. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    They have to work outwards from the power stations. It's like a puzzle thing. Hundreds of poles to reinstall, with new transformers.

Not about getting to you first, but getting to the people closest to the plant(s) first and working outwards.

Does your power company give any updates on their website?

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I heard from sister in law this evening just before we went for our walk. My niece went from Panama City to Hattiesburg, but when they got there, they couldn't get the lodging they had arranged for, they waited around a bit, then decided rather than wait until their lodging was available to just head on back home. By the time they got close to home, the winds were dying and they just went on home. Their house was okay, but they have no utilities until the crews get everything working again.

My son talked with the guy who advised him to buy property back in Florida who is living there now, and he told my son that his properties in Navarre and Gulf Breeze are okay, at least for now. My son was pretty unfazed about the whole thing, he figures I worry enough for both of us. I'm sorry for the folks who experienced loss in this storm, but am thankful indeed that my own family members faired well. I wish my niece would go on back to Arkansas, and my son would sell those properties. This long range worrying is wearing me out!

5. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2010
    Upper California
    Yeah...well I've got your California!;)

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Sounds like someone in Hattiesburg accepted a little remuneration under the table and reassigned their rooms to someone else.

But I'm not real impressed with your niece. Gasoline and milk and all the other things the Recovery people are going to be needing are in short supply - by definition. Any consumables that they consume, should be kept freed up for the heavy lifters who will be trying to clear wreckage and help recover bodies and so forth. I personally would never, ever venture back in and get in the way of those hard working people. This is a zero sum type situation, and that's why I'm willing to just get out and stay away and not add to the complications.

tery and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    My niece is quite competent maybe she figured since the people she was dealing with lied once....

Maybe she decided to take back control of her own life and not be content with whatever the looters left.

8. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I don't often disagree with you BB, but what you're saying is not fair to my niece. By the time she got to Hattiesburg, a four hour + drive, and her previously arranged accommodations were unavailable, and at this point probably no accommodations were to be had, she chose to do what I would have done, turned around and went home.

We have a decidedly different view of those hard working people who get things going again, they are coming in from every point on the compass from different states, that's just the way it is during this type of emergency and has been stated as such on the news. We do not know their qualifications or for that matter a damned thing about them. I for one don't trust everyone I meet along the highway. Many of the people getting things going again are probably good, honest, caring, folks, but I'm willing to bet an equal number of them are knocking down big bucks, and that is the prime motivator for them.

Finally, I don't necessarily ascribe to the theory that big brother always knows best, and I've learned that through hard experience, not from a book.

kuvash and boris bubbanov like this.
  9. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    I should be thankful that I have a roof over my head, but I'd like to be sleeping in cool comfort. I woke up at 4:30 AM because it's hot. Also, to the sound of my neighbor's generator. That's all I can hear right now.

william tele, Toto'sDad and tery like this.
  10. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Generators are for sissies:)

(With exceptions for elderly or disabled or others needing power for medical devices).

Phrygian77 likes this.
  11. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I slept outside after Irma.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  12. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2007
    St. Croix, USVI
    You’ll probably get power back in a few days. Try going from 9/19 to 12/1 and for some it was not until January. Call me a sissy but I have 3 generators from 5.5-7.5 kw. After we got hammered by Maria a generator was a necessity. Refrigerator, water pump, lights, fans, clothes washer & dryer. You know the basics of life

13. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    I spent many nights outside in 2004, after we had two hurricanes in three weeks (Frances, then Jeanne).

Our power drop got damaged by a tree in the second storm. When they restore power, drops are the last thing they fix because it only affects one customer. Priorities.

After nine days, they got to us. They backed a 40,000 lb truck into to the corner of my backyard to fix the drop. Which crushed my sewer line. So I finally had power, but no toilet. You win some, you lose some....

14. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Ok, another exception would be for people who live on islands.

I did put a smilie on the sissies comment so no one would take it too seriously:)

15. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Now that video is coming in it’s apparent @Phrygian77 really dodged the bullet.

The area from eastern part of Panama City down to close to Cape San Blas got wiped.

16. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    I had planned to retire in Escambia county but did not for this reason .
    Damn ... just damn :(

Stubee likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I'll bet right about now you wish you had a generator! Stay safe, and be thankful that things will be back to normal, eventually.

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I know how that feels, to return from lunch, to work some more on one of our houses and find some clown in a bedroom - came in through a window. And now, you gotta talk him out of there yourself - the police have more important things to do. And the clown is 15 years younger and 4 inches taller. Or some idiot barges in unannounced (the door is open to let out the stench) and he's volunteering to live in the second house rent free and work on the building when he feels like it. The Gulf of Mexico sure draws some strange ones.

tery and Toto'sDad like this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I really didn't mean any disrespect BB in my former post. You'd really have to know my niece to know just how competent she is. Her husband and her have for years worked full time, and bought and sold houses with both of them doing the necessary repairs almost without any outside help, kind of like the people on the Home and Garden channel without the cameras. She's about five feet tall in her shoes and her husband and all three of their boys tower over her since they are all taller than six three, but they all understand she's the boss.

Last year my wife was hospitalized, and the year before her sister was in the hospital for the same condition. When she fell ill her husband just kind of stood there wondering what to do. My sis in law called her daughter and told her what was going on, and the daughter and the ambulance got to my sis in law's house at the same time, since my niece called for an ambulance immediately. The doctors said my niece saved her mother's life with her quick action.

What I'm saying here, is that I trust my niece's instincts pretty much, if she thought it was right to leave Hattiesburg, and head home, I think it was probably the right thing to do.

PS:

My wife's sister just under her in age died two years ago, most likely because she failed to get the proper treatment. For many years now, when my wife shows any signs of being ill she goes to the doctor or the hospital as quickly as I can get there. I failed to realize the seriousness of a situation one time, luckily there were no consequences, but there could have been. Having learned my lesson, I have been ever vigilant since I realized what could have happened that day. Sometimes you just have to rely on yourself.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.