Hurricane Michael Thread

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Phrygian77, Oct 8, 2018.

1. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sure. The Keys have a different appeal; the area is not known for white sand beaches. It’s about fishing and diving, coral reefs and mangroves, more boats than people, scenery scenery scenery, sunsets and beverages, on and on....

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I will second that. Been going to old town for over 40some years. I am a fishing nut and I do like to catch acoustic music in sunny vintage non trendy places.

Back to hurricane. Stay well all!!

3. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Wow.

A Cat 4 now.

4. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Michael is coming like a runaway freight train … its too late to get off the tracks now .

5. dkmw

It’s a buzzsaw.

8554EC2C-2163-4D13-9A8C-774BF51A60B0.jpeg

6. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Holic

Best wishes to all in the Florida panhandle. Hunker down and stay safe.

7. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Based on the path, here it looks like we'll get mostly tropical storm force winds, with some possibility of hurricane force winds. So, I think we're going to dodge a bullet. I think storm surge on the coast, just south of here, could be devastating though.

8. dkmw

Seriously hoping you are correct and you’re able to get out with minimal damage. Fingers crossed for you:)

boris bubbanov likes this.
  9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

No, I screwed up bad on this one. I was so certain it would curve to the right - when mostly it is just bearing due North. I thought it would be a really fast one, but it has slowed as to forward speed instead and this is really not good. I thought it would be making land right now - instead it is still far enough offshore to be getting plenty of fuel, all the while it is pounding the coast and building more surge. 928 millibars, I sure never saw that coming.

I kept thinking "These storms avoid landfall between the Apalachicola River and Cedar Key" and it will. But it is gonna hit Left of that area, not to the right. And that does happen and just look at how much development there is around Panama City. Right up front; nothing protecting it.

So, Phrygian should be fine. But not for the reasons I outlined at all.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’m tracking it as closely as I can and though it didn’t bear E as I thought and wind speeds may not be as great, I’m concerned about the area around Apalachicola Bay, and all of our friends there. Storm surge might be very high with Cat 2-3 wind speeds still possible. It’s already 4’ above ground level at Apalachicola and there’s far more to come.

What a mess.

Toto'sDad and william tele like this.
  11. dkmw

Whatever that donut in the middle touches is going to experience major wind damage. PC Beach may get spared the worst but St. George/Cape San Blas is not a place I’d want to be.

9A9DB05A-4C24-4BCF-8D2E-5EBBEEB82410.png

boris bubbanov likes this.
  12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Shout out to you guys while you still have power! May you all stay safe and protected!

Frodebro, Toto'sDad and tery like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Just heard back from my sis in law in Conway Arkansas that the evacuation order became mandatory in Panama City and that my niece and her husband pulled up stakes and went to Hattiesburg Mississippi to wait out the storm. They had first thought they would be okay, since their home is nearly new and had window and door protection that they had put in place, but I think they made the right decision to leave. I have lived through 115-125 winds during the great Dust Storm of 77 here, but never been in anything like the winds expected in Panama City. Now I'm hoping my son's properties are not destroyed.

tery, Stubee and william tele like this.
  14. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It is far better to evacuate and be wrong than not to evacuate and be wrong .

15. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I hope you guys and girls stay safe.

As an interested observer of the US news I can't help but feel that the run-up to a storm and the immediate destructive effect of it get lots of hours of news. However; the misery of the aftermath gets very little reporting. It looks like the vast majority of the deaths in Puerto Rico happened after the storm had passed and news from the Carolina's where Florence wreaked havoc is now the sensationalist stuff about giant mosquitoes and not the misery of coal ash and hog poop in the water supply. The 24 hours news cycle beast needs feeding.

But, like I said, I sincerely hope everybody stays safe - not just over the next few days, but in the months afterwards, too.

Toto'sDad, tery, jhundt and 4 others like this.
  16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

And just when I thought it couldn't intensify more, it has. Down 5 mb to 923 mb, winds up from 145 to 150. This just violates everything I'm used to seeing. Hopefully the contact the outer reaches of the storm are making with land will cool things off a little, but at this point, I give up. I just can't read these new storms.

I'm thinking about a buddy of mine, who went through a super nasty divorce that wiped him out financially - and his ex lives right over there where the eyewall is headed. Is it coming after her? Evil thoughts, I know!

Toto'sDad, Stubee and william tele like this.
  17. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Hoping all in this storm's path stay safe. We in NY are pulling for y'all.

- D

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

My wife is in Pompano Beach on a job interview this morning. She flew in last night, and she is leaving this afternoon after the interview. So basically flying thru the path of the hurricane. We'll see if she can actually make it out. I don't know if the weather in Pompano Beach is out of the ordinary today: I've texted to ask, but she must actually be in the interview now because she hasn't responded.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. dkmw

Pressure is lower than Andrew and pressure is a good measure of strength. If there is any good in this, it looks like PC and PC Beach are not going to get extreme winds/damage. And @Phrygian77 should miss the worst of it as well.

IMG_1166.PNG

Phrygian77 likes this.
  20. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

*sigh* There's always someone who spoils it!!!

CNN News feed:

Walton County Sheriff Michael Adkinson Jr. has encountered a few people on the beaches as Hurricane Michael unleashes its fury.

"We have people who cannot exercise good sense. While it might be their constitutional right to be an idiot, it’s not their right to endanger everyone else!"

Well said (or tweeted) Sir!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.