Hurricane Michael Thread

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Phrygian77, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Holic

In 2004, revisions to the state building code were enacted that raised the wind load requirements in South Florida but lowered them in many other parts of the state. Much of the panhandle was allowed to use weaker requirements. I was going to buy a house in Tallahassee 3 years ago and decided against it because I couldn't find new construction that was up to the standards in place in South Florida.

2. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Other than Hermine, the only REAL hurricane that had an impact here in my lifetime was Kate in 1985. No one here was really prepared for Kate. It was a different era. It's was Andrew that started to open people's eyes in 1992.

Although, Camille killed 259 people in 1969. It is still holds the record for second strongest storm to make landfall in the continental US.

uriah1 likes this.
  3. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I'm totally ignorant about most of Florida. I only kind of know Orlando and South Florida.

But aren't there still tons of places, tons of houses, that were stick-built way before there were ANY codes?

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

In a way, this Apalachicola to Cedar Key segment of the coast is "Old Florida". Fishing, logging, people using boats as transport. Not much beachbathing, except maybe Carabella and that's not real accessible.

There's so little photogenic beach. I've seen a lot of much older structures in this area and then this area receded as the white sand tourist destination places took off like a shot. So, in this area with the St. Marks and the (easterly of the two) Econfina , people tried to be practical about where they built. Still, the water levels are up now, base line, so if we put a big storm surge on top of that, some of this Old Florida is going to take a hit. But, since developers in recent years have kinda bypassed this area, the people who are impacted will have better skill sets for survival. I think a lot of the old structures were really well built (no codes then) but nothing does well if totally inundated by a large surge.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

But how the heck can the timber structures survive 90mph plus?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Here in DC the news made it look like Florence was going to bring heavy wind and high rain. Supermarkets were running out of stuff. We got moderate rain.

It’s tempting to blame the media for overhyping, and it certainly seems as if they do, but predictions are inevitably subject to error, and it’s more fun to sneer at the media than it is to sift through the rubble of what was your home. What should they do—NOT tell people there’s a cat3 storm headed thier way?

So sneer away, but the law of averages alone says sooner or later media predictions will come true. It’s my fau”t for tuning in—better to get occasional updates and act with caution.

RLee77 and Ira7 like this.
  7. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Good luck everyone. Here in East Central Florida, we should only get wind and rain, but my wife's sister and family live in Pensacola, so they might get more. Hope it weakens before it hits.

8. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

4877A1E9-50E4-4452-8AD5-3FD3FDC8D186.jpeg

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My niece and her husband live in Panama City. The folks who were just out here from Arkansas are her parents. My wife just talked to her sister and she says they are telling people to evacuate in P.C, but the niece is going to batten down the hatches and ride it out. My son owns two houses not far from there, I wish he would sell those and put the money in something else closer to home. A co-worker hyped the property there, and bought some houses as well, but I worry every time a storm comes in for my son, he's pretty cool, he waits until something happens, then starts worrying. The niece is in a fairly new property that is supposed to be designed to take the storm, and they have the stuff to secure everything, but I dunno. I hope all is well for everyone there. The media people were running low on ammo, so they gotta pump this one up as much as they can.

[​IMG]

uriah1 and william tele like this.
  10. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Holic

I was in Tallahassee for Kate and in Miami for Andrew.

Kate was wimpy. However, Tallahassee has lots of canopy, so Kate's 60+ MPH winds caused many branches to knock out lots of power lines. My cheap, solidly-built, CBS, Tallahassee slum apartment was close to the Capitol, so it suffered no damage and I had power back within hours. Other parts of Tallahassee went a week without it.

Andrew was absolutely brutal. A weatherman living a few blocks from my house had his own weather gear set up at his house. His anemometer (measures wind speed) pegged when it measured a gust at the rig's maximum 204 MPH. That told us that tornadoes were dancing around alongside Andrew's category 5 winds. The destruction around the neighborhood was terrible. We had no power for 3 weeks, but many folks had no house!

william tele and Phrygian77 like this.
  11. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Eh, the real problem with the weather coverage is the viewer is waiting for the quick payoff in super duper wind gusts and blockbuster overnight devastation.

But, they tune out bored long before the reality sets in that for a number of these storms thousands upon thousands being flooded out of their homes & the months/years it takes to get back there & back to normal goes uncovered since that part is booooorrrriiiinggg!!!

Many times those are the storms that were "no big deal."

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Ira7 and dkmw like this.
  12. boris bubbanov

If they're overbuilt of old growth southern yellow pine, set back into a protected area, no huge walls or segments of roof presented to the wind, they can sometimes make it. Sometimes some windows blow out; sometimes the wind driven rain gets past the wood and soaks the plaster or beaver board. The poorly built ones got wiped out some time previously.

The problem I kept seeing in Florida in 2006-2011 new construction was, the lower levels were masonry and might do all right, but the upper, wooden portions were made of this spindly, new growth fast-grow pine and it hasn't got the strength or resilience of the old wood. Plus, they slam it together - take the money and run!

13. dkmw

Developers have bypassed this area because much of it is conservation land (thank goodness).

You’d better believe that it would be cheek-to-jowl with McMansions if it were ever open season on this land.

DD67EBE3-F16A-4CD4-91F9-7FA9B9C2D4F7.jpeg

14. boris bubbanov

I hate to be a cynic, but I believe a lot of these protected areas simply don't have the tourist/development appeal of the portions of the Florida Coasts with long strands of easily accessible white sand beaches. IMO a lot of that land was owned by St. Joe Paper or some similar outfit, and then had clean cut a whole lot of what they could get to, and then they couldn't pay the taxes so the Gov't or some good guys bought it up and it was converted to National Forest or some conservation area or another. At least most of this National Forest is still open to logging, if I understand correctly.

15. dkmw

As usual, you know your poop:)

I wasn’t going to get that deep into it, but there’s much truth there. However, white sand beaches aren’t the only thing that brings development. Keys are prime example, having a completely different set of desirables.

Developers would find something to market about those Big Bend areas if they had the chance. I’ve seen this movie before:rolleyes:

Let’s just hope our friends and TDPRI guys there can stay safe.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  16. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

dkmw likes this.
  17. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Holic

Could you elaborate on this?

18. Phrygian77

There's no beach east of the Ochlockonee river. There a small bit called Mashes Sands in Panacea, Wakulla Beach is just marsh mud, and there little bit of beach in the St. Marks State Park. During the warmer months, the folks floating down the Wakulla River could care less that they're not on the beach.

When I was younger, I used to go to the Hickory Mound Impoundment a lot. My friends and I would swim in the limerock pits (we called them the phosphate pits at the time). I remember one summer afternoon when we were swimming, it started raining, so we loaded up in my car and started driving around. We came around a corner and there was a flock of turkeys in the road. It's raining, the sun is shining brightly, and there are turkeys running down the dirt road in front of and along side my car. Almost 25 years later, it's still a vivid image in my mind. Every time I went out there, I saw wildlife, from boar to deer.

There's practically nothing on 98, except the Aucilla and the Econfina, between Newport and Perry. Likewise, if you head west out of Crawfordville on Arran Road, you run right into middle of the Apalachicola National Forest. There is literally nothing out there. It's one of the darkest places around this area of the country. It's a perfect place to stargaze.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    RedHills and boris bubbanov like this.
  19. Phrygian77

I almost forgot about Shell Point. That's not really a beach either.

20. boris bubbanov

I just want to say, I think the storm is coming ashore more to the west than I expected and that means (I think) it will be of higher intensity also. I think Bay County and surrounds will take a hit. That section of beach running from Panama City down towards Port St. Joe. That little town of Apalachicola is in a bad spot, I think. Good news for Tampa and Clearwater, Gulfport and etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.