Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Huntington Beach Air Show This Weekend!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tap4154, Sep 27, 2017.

1. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    This year the Blue Angels will headline. Just had a fly-over of 3 jets for about 15 minutes, circling the city, I believe they were the new F-35 Lightning II, which is scheduled to fly in the show.

Shows are Friday, Saturday & Sunday 12-4. No charge, just come on down to the beach, but traffic may be a mess. The central point of the show is on the city beach this year, opposite the hotels on PCH. Was a bit south last year, on the state beach.

To quote a movie... IT MIGHT GET LOUD :eek:

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/09/2...how-returns-this-weekend-to-huntington-beach/

2. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Due to the HUGE popularity of this thread, here's several quick clips of today's Blue Angels show :D

GREAT show (far better than these short cell phone clips), and a much bigger crowd than last year with great weather (except Friday was fogged in). Thunderbirds will be back next year.

Stubee and studio1087 like this.

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Great video. Thanks!

Saw them at EAA this year. It was incredible.

Did they do the maneuver where a couple jets are way out front distracting the crowd and one blasts over the crowd low and fast from behind and the announcer calls it a demonstration of how quickly the jets can sneak up on a battle ground target? They did that to us and I think that half of the crowd pooped their pants. It was remarkable.

dented likes this.

4. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Yep, they have some amazing moves. I could only video the slow stuff :D Yes, they did a sneak attack where after four had flown by in formation one suddenly came hauling arse from the left surprising everyone, flying very low above water right in front off me, then immediately one shot over from behind us and was about out to Catalina Island by the time we saw it. They fly WAY ahead of their sound it seems. And they way they play "chicken" is amazing. I was right at center "stage" on the water's edge.

They came over hotels on Pacific Coast Highway VERY low, and the one "sneak attack" across the water was even below our pier's deck level (to my right about a half mile) and it looped up over it at the last second. The precision is amazing!

One more clip on my phone. I saw two coming at each other from opposite ends of the beach and tried to aim where they'd cross. Missed a bit, but you get the idea. One flips a quarter turn at the last second.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017

5. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    DSCN3152[1].JPG Yeah John, we were down at the pier and I was waiting for the sneak attack constantly looking behind us. I caught him and yelled to everyone! The thing is as he got to us he just hit the burners and went vertical straight up towards the sun. Big cloud of exhaust came out of the afterburner. Yeeehaaaa! The F35 didn't do as much as I thought. The Blue Angels were great. Even the Canadian Snowbirds were fun. Tap, every time I was taking photos I had kids climbing on me and all my stuff was fuzzy. Great shots. I have some from other family members but mine were all ..........subpar. We had a blast though. Last year we went out on a boat from Newport Beach and it was spectacular for 35.00 a person. This year...........85.00 per person even for kids. Lots of people on bikes.

6. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I was one of those on bike. Saturday I was at the pier, then all along the bike path. Today I went out on the beach by the Breitling tents, then after the paratroopers landed they opened the beach in front of the tent, center stage, so we moved in. The F35 basically shadowed the P51 Mustang around town behind us as the F16 performed solo, then when the F16 joined the F35 and P51 they came right over the hotels in formation, VERY cool. One formation I thought was cool was when they flew along the coast and the Mustang took the lead, with the F16 and F35 falling in line behind it. Just found a video of the same move at Jones beach NY. And yes, the Snowbirds were great too!

dented likes this.

7. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Very cool stuff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.