Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Humorous Town Names

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stringbanger, Mar 18, 2017.

1. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    guys here wen't the creative way :D

[​IMG]

2. Badger06

Badger06 Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2014
    Lund, Sweden
    I'm originally from Wombwell, South Yorkshire

Stringbanger likes this.

3. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    You poor boy...

Stringbanger likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    I always thought that they should build an Outer Planets observatory in Connecticut, near Greenwich in fact, so that scientists could see Uranus from Mianus...

Stringbanger likes this.

6. Tele1966

Tele1966 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    I don't mean this post to be offensive to anyone, but as a teenager in the Portland Oregon area in the 60's and 70's, (and always out looking for girls), it amazed me someone in the past named a town "Beaverton." As a 16-yr-old I just couldn't understand how someone in the distant past with city-naming powers could have so much incredible foresight looking into the future to name a city reasonably accurately.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Stringbanger likes this.

7. robinsong

robinsong TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Climax, Saskatchewan

Stringbanger likes this.

8. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Meister

Jul 23, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    This might not be humorous ( just odd I guess) but I heard it mentioned today and thought it might fit in here:

[​IMG]

Swastika, Ontario, was linked to the Mitford family (they owned mines there)the wealthy British family who were in turn linked to the Nazis (Diana Mitford married Oswald Moseley, leader of the British Facist party). Probably not an association the residents make much of these days.

9. BoiseTelecaster

BoiseTelecaster Tele-Meister

May 30, 2014
    Boise Idaho
    Climax, Minnesota is just north of Morehead, Minnesota.

koen, Tony474 and Stringbanger like this.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

There's a place (not a town really) along the Appalachian Trail, reachable by car called

Max Patch

I just like that name. As for some of these overly scatalogical posts, doesn't anyone tire of this sort of thing? Jes Wonderin'.

If you wanna see a lot of amusing small town names, just pull out an AAA map of Kentucky or West Virginia. Check out the Western part of WV and the Eastern, mountainous parts of KY. Dozens of them, really, sometimes one after another after another in the holler. Diablock, then Avawam, then Wooton, then Smilax, then Cutshin, then Yeaddiss. This sort of thing.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Stringbanger likes this.

11. Telegoober

Telegoober TDPRI Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Near Boring, OR
    In north central Oregon, there's the town mentioned already called Dufur. Not far away is the town of Rufus. I always wanted to start a community midway between the two towns where I could be the first mayor of Doofus, Oregon.....

A good ways south of there is a town now called Drewsey. It was originally named "Gouge Eye", supposedly because of the way they used to deal with either horse or cattle thieves. The U.S. government made them change their name in order to get a post office.....

Jimmie

Stringbanger likes this.

12. therealfindo

therealfindo Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2012
    Germany
    In one of the later Grand Tour episodes they take a road trip through Germany from Kissing to Petting and this town in Austria:
    https://goo.gl/maps/gDDoY6unxcq

Stringbanger likes this.

13. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Just passing through, eh?

Stringbanger likes this.

14. radiocaster

radiocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    A toy version of a metal band?

But to be fair, I bet that was the name of the town much earlier, and they added the band font recently.

15. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    haha no it has nothing to do with mattel

matellica means someone who is too meticolous & other depending on the dialect :) it's been around since 101 BC, yeah .. just a "couple of years earlier"

Cheers

16. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    There's a place between St Albans and Hatfield, England, where I think the bra was invented. It's called Tyttenhanger.

17. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago

18. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    fartsville_churchsign.jpg

The city's supposed to be in Indiana, I don't think the church sign is real.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Rustbucket likes this.

19. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Meister

Dec 6, 2012
    Australia
    Here are a few more from Oz that aren't necessarily funny, but are a treat to hear pronounced for the first time by outsiders:

Woolloomooloo

Buladelah

Wangi Wangi​

And Missouri still has Climax Springs and Knob Noster.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.