Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Humming neck (Strat) pickup on Vintage V58JD Jerry Donahue Tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Ianozzi, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Ianozzi

Ianozzi TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Whittington, United Kingdom
    Hi all,

I have a Vintage V58JD Jerry Donahue Tele that I love so much it has become my main guitar. Annoyingly, the neck Strat single coil hums a lot more than the bridge pickup (hums much more than the bridge pickup in all neck/mix positions).

Some friends have suggested shielding the cavities, which I have resisted so far for a few reasons:

1. There is already black shielding paint in all cavities
    2. There isn't much room in the control cavity due to the huge 5 way selector switch
    3. I'd rather get to the bottom of the issue than shield in the hope it will improve
    Oddly, if I touch the neck pickup poles with the 5 way in the positions where the neck isn't selected, it causes buzz... Any ideas?

All wires appear to be there and correctly soldered, and I am currently awaiting a circuit diagram from Vintage to check this.

Has anyone any ideas or experience of why this could be happening? Is the pickup faulty, is it bad grounding or is it a bad solder joint?

Iain :)

2. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I'd reflow all your grounds on the back of the pots and the neck pickup. Shielding just the neck cavity will assist.

3. Ianozzi

Ianozzi TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Whittington, United Kingdom
    Thanks!! I'll give it a go. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.