Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Humidifying

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Kevin_B, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Kevin_B

Kevin_B TDPRI Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I've had issues in the past with my acoustic instruments getting too dry and causing problems with buckling or messing up the top and/or bridge. I'm accumulating enough instruments now that it's annoying to have to get a bunch of individual humidifiers and maintain all of them.

I keep them all on stands in the same room (in the same general area) and it would be great if I could just get a humidifier that would keep the room at a set humidity level so it wouldn't get too dry or too humid. I know there are some central air systems that do it, but I'm renting a house so it isn't realistic (or practical) to go that route. Anyone know of and/or use a humidifier that can keep a room at 40-50% humidity reliably? Or, any other techniques?

2. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
    When I lived in Las Vegas (0% humidity) I asked the guys at GC what they were using in their acoustic room. They directed me to Sears to get the same one they were using. It's a Kenmore 14 gallon. They cost a few bucks ($179.00) but it will do an entire room no problem. I used one until I moved to the beach in California and now I have the opposite problem. I now live in front of the biggest swamp cooler in the world and have to use a dehumidifier. You might also want to pick up an inexpensive hygrometer. Taylor says guitars like 47%. I found one at Radio Shack for around $20.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.