Humbuckers

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rusty50, Apr 14, 2019.

1. rusty50

rusty50 TDPRI Member

I am thinking about putting at least a humbucker pup at the neck, maybe the bridge. Can I use any kind of humbucker or are ones specially for teles?

Thanks

2. Fiender

Fiender TDPRI Member

If it has a full size humbucker route, then any will do. If it's a standard tele neck pickup route, then you'd have to get a specialized one.

3. S00NERMAN

S00NERMAN Tele-Meister

Just remember there are generally 2 styles/size of humbucker routs, Gibson and Fender, and they don't interchange.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

As long as you're willing to do some routing, you can use whatever kind of humbucker you like.

The thing to be aware of... if you put a Gibson style in bridge position, you'll want one that's Fender-spaced. AKA F-spaced. The poles are spaced differently between Fender and Gibson. It's not an issue for neck position because the difference isn't as great (since the full bridge 'spread' hasn't been reached yet).

Seymour Duncan calls their F-spaced line "Trembuckers". I bought a pair of Seth Lovers for a Strat build. One was a straight SL Gibson style pickup, for neck, and the other was a Trembucker. Same exact everything, except for pole spacing.

I'm pretty sure DiMarzio sells Gibson style F-spaced, too. Perhaps many more makers, I don't know.

mrmousey likes this.
  5. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Not just the routing to physically fit them in, there are electronic issue too...

Do your research, especially if you plan to mix humbucker and single coil. Remember humbuckers usually need 500k pots and .022 caps but single coils usually need 250k pots and .047 caps to maintain the correct brightness.

6. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

And of course, there are mini humbuckers too! I like Gibson (Deluxe) minis. I have them in a couple of my guitars and they can be swapped out for P90 should the need arise, without any further routing.
    I have a Gibson mini neck pup paired with a Seymour Duncan Lil 59 in a Fender Standard bridge on a Thinline. They work well together.

Mincer likes this.
  7. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

If you have single coil routes, you may want to consider coil sized rail humbuckers.

Rev Rhythm and bravescoob like this.
  8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

What model Tele?

9. GK34

GK34 Tele-Meister

I had Duncan 59’s in a Strat that we’re not F Spaced, and they sounded fine. Sounded very good actually. I went that route, because two different guitar techs said the spacing really doesn’t make a difference.

Depending on how much the mod will cost, another option would be to swap the Tele out for one of the new Player Series Teles that already has the humbuckers. I just got one and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mincer likes this.
  10. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

As a general rule Fender humbuckers mount to a pickguard and many others usually mount to the body. Doesn't have to be that way but that's how they are built.

11. rusty50

rusty50 TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the info.
    The tele is a 2015 MIM, candy apple red, maple fretboard. I did some measuring. It's 3.5" by 1.75" almost. I have a set of used humbuckers that I can use to at least get an idea about the fit and the pole positions, I want to get them as close as possible. I measured the humbucker and P90 on my guitars and they would fit.

DSC_0692b.jpg

12. bravescoob

bravescoob TDPRI Member

You may already know you like this config- if so more power to you. If you are still at the 'just considering' phase, a word of caution; I bought an HH Tele and it was (though uniquely voiced) essentially just another LP. Got rid of HH and made a b-line for the nearest SS Tele and never look back. IMO nothing beats single coils. That said, you may have a certain reason/style/genre you need buckers for. If that is the case, I like Fender buckers a bit more than the LP ones I've played/owned (less muddy).

13. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You'll most liekly want a four wire humbucker, it should be easier to work with the Fender wiring scheme.

14. rusty50

rusty50 TDPRI Member

Right now it's in the consideration phase. I really like the way his guitar sounds. I have a strat and this for single coil guitars and they are both uniquely different and awesome.

15. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

I went with the single coil sized rails on mine because I wanted more of an LP sound, but I tapped them to try and split the difference. Not the real deal either way, but I do like the variety of sounds I've been getting out of it

16. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Same here! The rail bucker has its own unique sound, but close to both worlds - humbucker and single coils.

Here was mine:

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  17. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

I loved playing a Les Paul... The sounds, the neck... But the weight was a deal breaker for me. It's part of why I went the route I did.

18. rusty50

rusty50 TDPRI Member

Interesting idea with the rails. I will have to into them more.

So maybe instead of humbuckers would hotter single coils be a better way to go to get a "harder driving" sound, without using a overdrive pedal?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019 at 6:08 PM
  19. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'd start by wiring the pair of single coils in series (on a switch). Series position sounds more or less like a humbucker. Same idea, just the coils are spread apart. Much hotter than either single coil on it's own. Full, thick sound.

20. rusty50

rusty50 TDPRI Member

Hmmmmm, so with the switch I could have my regular single coil sounds or combined for the humbuckerish sound? That sounds great. Is it like coil splitting only better?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.