Humbucker Sizing

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Jim_in_PA, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Meister

"In general", is there a lot of variation in sizing between different manufacturer's humbucker format pickups? I want to insure that some of the designs I'm faddling with will be flexible in that respect. Thanks in advance!

2. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat TDPRI Member

Depends how persnickety you wanna get. Generally there is USA size and not_USA size, each of which come in both bridge and neck sizing, so that's four general sizes. Body routes generally accommodate all of those, but pickguard cut outs will need fine tuning if you want a really close fit.

One deviation I've run into is the old Guild humbucker as used on their 70's and reissue solid bodies. Those are neither route compatible, nor ring compatible with anything else.

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  3. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Meister

That's very helpful, Rotten'...I appreciate it. I"m new to this. I'd likely be using "current" stuff when it comes to the electronics and the USA vs not-USA is a good point to check for. I guess I'll check for engineering specifications for anything catching my eye as I'm kinda thinking about eschewing a pick guard on certain bodies that are either "not flat" or that feature wood that would be sinful to cover up.

4. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Those Guild Humbuckers are worth the effort to fit them. Fantastic sound.

schmee likes this.
  5. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

The Fender Wide Range Humbucker is also a different, larger size but that's a unique pickup which most body routes aren't designed to accommodate.

6. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat TDPRI Member

Ah, so true, my bad, and yes, the Guild pickups are pretty nice. I've got them in an S-100 (original) and other players wonder how they get the tone, and power... Very loud, but they got "the tone".

Will also say... those pickup rings Guild used are made of Bakelite. Crumbly stuff. I had to "rebuild" the rings on the S-100 with black superglue, filling in superglue where pieces didn't exist any more, then file, dremel, sand and polish back into some semblance of normalcy. Same thing on the tip of that bakelite Gibby L6s (original) which is prone to breaking off. Make a new one with built up superglue... takes forever, but looks pretty good, hard to see where the repair is.

7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

The nice thing Guild and Ibanez did was three screws so they dont wiggle around and sit at an angle.
    OP: most standard HB's will fit most rings. Watch out for aftermarket rings though, some dont fit screw holes Body and pickup) well at all. As others noted, wide range Tele style and off brand HB's are a bit different. But Gibson, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio etc fit fairly well.

Jim_in_PA likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.