Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Humbucker in neck.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by guitarslinger92, Feb 28, 2012.

1. guitarslinger92

guitarslinger92 Tele-Meister

I put a seymour duncan humbucker in the neck position on my '98 MIM. I heard a lot of people saying it was hard to get it to sound good. Well the only issue with mine is when I'm using just the humbucker it's a tad muddy (which is no issue in my opinion because I don't usually use just the neck pup anyhow) but when I combined it with my fender vintage noiseless in the bridge it sounds GLORIOUS!!! I just thought I'd share, it sound pretty awesome.

2. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

Welcome to the Middle Kingdom,where twang and boom live together in harmony. I come here whenever I can.

3. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

I too found that the neck HB was a tad muddy with an amp setting that suited the bridge PU.

One solution would be to rewire so that the the tone pot just works on the bridge PU, so you'd then set the amp's tone controls up so that the HB sounds nice and clear, and then dial off some high end on the bridge PU using the guitar tone pot.

My solution however was to go one step further and fit an extra tone pot between the control plate and the edge of the body. I now have a tone pot for each PU and the one for the bridge PU is almost always rolled off a bit to balance things up.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Tele-Afflicted

Humbuckers and mini-hums give you another weapon in the arsenal without sacrificing the twang!

[​IMG]

6. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

- Put in a treble bleed or 60's wiring.... that adds a little highs on the neck.
    IMHO

I do it to un-muddy p90's in a couple guitars.

7. scottrollick

scottrollick TDPRI Member

Don't have much to say about your mud problem, but I really like the combo of a minihum and single coil. I'm thinking about putting one together that way. When dialed in nicely, the combo sounds great.

8. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

If you're willing to spend the $$$, some pickup manufacturers will put together a single coil pickup that's optimized for 500k pots so you'll keep the treble from your humbucker. Some manufacturers (BG, for instance) won't charge much more than the big boys, but the wait can be a problem.

9. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Never tried the Fezz Parka mod on a humbucker. Interesting!

10. guitarslinger92

guitarslinger92 Tele-Meister

Thanks I just solved all my problems by running it through a decent amp. I'd been running through a solid state fender amp, when I finally got to run it through my twin reverb, all the muddiness was gone. I couldn't be more pleased.

11. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

ACME Guitar Works makes a Tone Shaper with a 500k pot for the bucker and resistors that dial back to 250k for the bridge.

12. Spider

Spider Tele-Meister

Put in a 500k volume pot and the muddiness problem is solved!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.