Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Humbucker in neck too dark. Need brighter options plz

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by BBEgo, Oct 11, 2018.

1. BBEgo

BBEgo TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Hello all! I have a G&L ASAT Tribute series classic Bluesboy. Got it for $300 on a MF Stupid Deal.
    Bridge sounded ok, but the bucker in the neck is so dark sounding that it's pretty much useless.
    Both pickups squealed so badly using higher gain, I knew I was gonna have some work to do before it would be a fully serviceable guitar.

I put a Kinman Bridge Blaster in the bridge and OMG what a night and day difference. Great tone, looks nice, dead quiet, no squeal (in that position), and now I'm mostly in business.

Now here's the problem: I want the humbucker to be brighter. Not bridge bright, obviously, but at least useable. The research I've been doing leads me to believe that the main problem is 250k pots do not play nice with humbuckers.

I don't want to change pot values, because I'm super happy with my current bridge pickup sound. I reckon I'll spend 80% of my time on the bridge pickup anyway, but I'd like to find a pickup to put in the neck that'll sound great with 250k pots for those times when I want a different kind of sound.

Humbucker, P90, Single, whatever. Long as it retains the humbucker shape and look.

Any ideas? Thanks!
    Scott

2. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    I found the G&L tribute buckers dark as well. I replaced mine with Wilde L90's. To me, they have the nice qualities of a PAF, without the mud. They also split very well, so you can get some extra versatility, if you want to take advantage of the wiring options.

BBEgo likes this.
  3. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Imo any hb you put in there is gonna sound similar with 250k pots. It'll sound different as it's a different pickup.

Put a 500k pot in with a resistor so your single will still see the approximate 250k value but your hb will see the 500k value.

Tim S, tedtan, trouserpress and 5 others like this.
  4. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    It sounds to me like a P90 would work for you..They are available in HB form..

dogmeat and BBEgo like this.
  5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    My recomendation is cheaper too as well as you not knowing the potential of the current pickup before you jettison it.
    asset.php.jpg

Or you could just find a happy medium like the 375k pots Fender used in the 52 HR.

I have 300k pots in my Firebird copy as Gibson spec'd bitd. It sounds underwhelming & dark.

Tim S likes this.
  6. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P90.

dogmeat and Mincer like this.
  7. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Mine (ASAT HB Deluxe model) had 500k pots and it still sounded really rolled off in the neck position. I think some of the G&L buckers use brass covers and baseplates, which darkens the tone a bit, which I believe was the reason, in my case. I suppose you could remove the cover and wire it to see a 500k/1Meg pot load might open things up enough, for a low budget option, without swapping pickups.

BCblues55 likes this.
  8. BBEgo

BBEgo TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    I appreciate the potential low-cost option, Bender, but I'm afraid the pickup has to go anyway due to the squeal it has when you put any dirt on it.

I'm kinda liking the Phat Cat idea!

bender66 likes this.
  9. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2018
    Atlanta
    P-90 sounds like a good idea. You may want to check out a Lollar El Rayo which is intended to have more clarity and top end than a typical HB.

dogmeat and BBEgo like this.
  10. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    DiMarzio 36th Anniversary. True PAF tone that sounds great on 250k pots.
    It’ll surprise you at how well it pairs with a Tele bridge pickup!

KelvinS1965, Bruxist and BBEgo like this.
  11. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Tampa Bay Area
    A Jazz sounds good with 250k pots. Even brighter than that is a Full Shred.

12. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2011
    Southern IL
    Gibson Burstbucker, they are wound with one coil so dominant they might as well be single coils

13. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Feedback problem could maybe be solved, does it have a cover? Making sure it's on there tight could solve it. It's not that hard to improve on factory potting... .Apart from the feedback issue , I would wire it with no tone control on the neck pickup, brightens it up some

14. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska
    another P90 vote

BCblues55 likes this.
  15. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    Just wire the neck HB in parallel. An HB sized P-90 will probably be just as dark, if not darker, than what you already have.

16. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
  17. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

I put a Lollar El Rayo in the neck of my tele some years ago (replaced a Duncan '59) and never looked back. Super articulate and the split coil is like a Strat. Expensive, though...

BBEgo likes this.
  18. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2015
    Arkansas
    The Carvin M22V neck humbucker solved my problem of a muddy neck sound in 1991. It is my favorite all time pickup.

19. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    Have you tried adjusting the pickup lower and raising the polepieces?. That will help get a brighter sound. Many players replace pickups when just adjusting them or replacing the pot with a higher value will fix the issue.
    Al

bender66 and Tim S like this.
  20. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    BBEgo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.