Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Human Hearing Test: How are you ears?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stephent2, Dec 7, 2017 at 9:56 AM.

1. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I think you meant 17hz & 35-40hz right?

2. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Nope. 17khz on the high end, 35-40hz on the low end of the bandwidth I can hear everything between those frequencies, but I notice a very steep cutoff, below ~40hz and above ~17khz, I believe it's due to my speakers. Even though I'm running a small subwoofer, I don't think it was ever designed to extend down to 20hz(or 30hz for that matter) range like good subs are supposed to. It's fairly common for cheaper speakers to cutoff around 16khz-18khz, too. Ideally I'd have something that ranges at least from 20hz-20khz, but a tad wider would be even better. IIRC, at one point I confirmed I was about to hear up to around 22khz, with certain speakers, I highly doubt my hearing is still that good, though, that was around age 18-19.

telemnemonics likes this.

3. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    My cat freaked out a little bit towards the end.

telemnemonics likes this.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Age 62 with a known right ear injury, through an older iPad stock speaker. 90hz to 12600khz. Good to know. I'll double check through monitors and headphones.

Yeah. Probably a little too much Black Sabbath during the 70s.:rolleyes::lol:

telemnemonics and jimash like this.

5. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Ah you confused me with the order you listed things in, I originally read your post as you saying you could hear from 17khz-35-40khz which would make someone wonder what alien planet you were from. :p

Unless you've got a big sub (15"+ inch speaker?) I don't think you're getting down in those ranges you mentioned, headphones do better.

6. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    Heard it all. A local supermarket used to have an "ultrasonic" bird deterrent in the vestibule at the entrance. I could hear that thing from the end of the parking lot. It was friggin loud. I had to stick my fingers in my ears when I entered the store. People looked at me funny.

JD0x0 likes this.

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Good Grief!....ringing in your ears at 19????? After years of playing loud music, blasting headphones, and hereditary hearing loss issues, I have considerable hearing impairment, but I'm nearing 66 years. It's to be expected for me....but, dude....you've gotta be careful. Please try to protect your hearing now, or start learning ASL....(American Sign Language)

8. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    I can hear ringing 24/7.
    Must mean my ears are still good.

9. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Holic

Using headphones I managed 28hz-13kz. Pretty much what I expected for an old dude like myself.

10. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    My hearing is shot. I was told this over ten years ago but I prefer to hear things
    naturally rather than use hearing aids.

I started hearing this test at 67-70Hz to about 4500Hz using cheap headphones.

11. jenos

jenos Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    started hearing just above 40 and lost it about 16,500 with crummy earphones and the volume down... as the frequency rose I felt like my head started to swell!

12. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    It'd be interesting to hear what headphones people are using.

I tried it with a 2nd pair of headphones with less roll off about 10k, heard some stuff out to 12-13k range but I could also hear the headphones breaking up in that range.

It seems like you really need a special set of headphones to really do this.

Looking at the database at Headphone.com of their test data there appears to be very few models of headphones which can handle 11k+ frequencies well and there test equipment doesn't even go to 13k.

edit: Tried it again with my Sony headphones, with the volume a little louder. I heard stuff all the way to the end, but I could hear the sound coming in and out, again probably consistent with the test data about the headphones having trouble at the high frequences. It kind of makes me wonder if I was really hearing the primary sound or if the headphones/amp whatever are generating weird harmonics/distortion that make you think you're hearing the original tone.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 4:50 PM

13. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    Noticed that my hearing was not so good a few years ago. My doctor ran a test which showed some age related loss in the left ear and significant loss ( over 8k ) in the right. He sent me to the optician to get a hearing aid fitted.
    The optician checked my hearing and told me that I didn't need an hearing aid, but that the bones were fused, which could be sorted by an operation. So I was referred to hospital.
    The hospital checked my hearing and issued a hearing aid. Three years on the hospital now think that the bones may be fused, but would need an exploratory operation to confirm.
    I used my hearing aid only in situations such as meetings where several conversations might be going on at the same time.
    Three weeks ago I was given a new aid. After four days I took it back, as it was making life a misery.
    Tomorrow I go back to see if they can make it work, but if not I can live without it.

14. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    I can hear it from 30hz to around 16k

15. PelhamSG

PelhamSG Tele-Meister

Aug 22, 2017
    chicago
    Yeah im really taking care of them now. No more headphones and if I listen to music, its out loud. Also earplugs at every band rehearsal. I started taking these over the counter pills for ringing and they really seem to help. Whether its real or imagined, they've helped, so ill continue with them. I can only really hear the ringing in a dead silent room, so im lucky I caught it when I did. Ive read a bit into it, and it seems to be a common thing with folks from my generation. Loud headphones are the main culprit. Its especially hit me because im a music lover and guitar player, so I get even more noise than average users. But again, ive caught it and am taking precautions :)

16. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    It's not just the range, but it's the ability to hear meaning within that range. I.e., if you can hear sounds but can't tell that they're words telling you not to step on the landmine, you might as well be deaf.

Similarly, if you can hear sounds but can't tell what key those sounds are in, they will just be noise, not music.

Beethoven went deaf in the latter part of his life, but he continued composing because he could still "hear" the music in his head...

Mine drops off around 12K, which isn't good considering my age. I blame a combination of ear infections, loud music, firearms, loud engines, ignorance, and outright stupidity. Not necessarily in that order... ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.