Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Human Hearing Test: How are you ears?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stephent2, Dec 7, 2017 at 9:56 AM.

1. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    I've maintained we all have differing abilities when it come to auditory matters, when folks say "I don't hear any differences" in the mahogany vs. rosewood, etc posts, doesn't mean there are no differences, just that they are subtle and often defined by the overtones in the higher frequencies.

I'm sure this test is less than scientific still I found it interesting.

I was a bit surprised that I was good up to 13k Hz and then the high frequencies fall off, but I've always maintained my hearing is pretty good for an old guy who's spent his life in front of guitar amps and full bands most of my life.

How'd you do?

2. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

My hearing is bad. I've struggled for several years now with high frequency. I can't hear anything above 12k in that vid.

3. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    WHAT??? Seriously, I was OK up to about 11 khz, then it disappeared pretty quickly after that.

4. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Headphones?

5. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    NW USA
    I got up to about 16k and it started to drop. When I used to engineer, I could hear up to 18k without any issues. The posted comment of the video says that the frequency will drop at 16k due the compression used by YouTube. On my headphones I could hear from 30 Hz to about 16 kHz. The volume went down precipitously. Might be the data compression or that I can't hear the upper frequencies & harmonics of cymbal decay. This test should be done with heaphones and not computer speakers. On computer speakers, my range was more like 80 Hz to 13 kHz

6. PelhamSG

PelhamSG Tele-Meister

Aug 22, 2017
    chicago
    I tried this too and I couldn't hear much past 10k. BUT, lets take in account that some of our speakers may not be able to play these high frequencies.

nojazzhere likes this.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Not sure what I could hear, somewhere around 12k it sounded more like a hiss than a tone. Stopping and starting the video resulted in a vague sound vs no sound on up in the mid teens, but up there it was like quiet tape hiss, unless I was imagining it.
    I did not turn up from below half volume on the computer since they warned it could cause hearing damage, and I already have plenty of that.

8. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    I',m surprised I didn;t hear anything below about 100hz. And I crapped out about 11k.
    Last time I tried, I went up to 14.

9. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead TDPRI Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    I got to about 17,300 before I lost the sound...this is on my MacBook speakers, so maybe a little more with headphones.

10. Speedy454

Speedy454 Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2013
    Highland, IL
    The last official hearing test I had was when I was 21 working in a noisy factory. I think I could hear about 15K back then. That was 36 years ago. I test it periodically with my signal generator, and it pretty much rolls of at about 12K now. I can perceive the sound, I can tell something is there, but I can't really hear it. On the low end, I can hear down into the low 20's pretty well.

11. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I can hear the high tone at the end of 'Peppers, but I have to turn it up. I m thinking ear wax. Has anyone had theirs removed ? It would seem you'd produce more as a safety against loud sounds. ...
    Theres plenty of frequency generating apps that you can use w-out putting up w youtubes data saving crap.

12. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 20, 2015
    Canton, Ohio
    I can hear it coming in at about 35K, and blends in with the constant ringing in my ears around 12K. I just used my old Altec Lansing computer speakers, so headphones in a quiet room might see some improvement. I can still hear the notes Jeff Beck gets on Angel Footsteps when he's playing slide on the high E up by the bridge, so I'm good.

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Yeah...that's my excuse too.

PelhamSG likes this.

14. PelhamSG

PelhamSG Tele-Meister

Aug 22, 2017
    chicago
    Ill use any excuse I can :lol: I do have to go to an ear doc soon though. I have some ringing in my ears, probably from years of loud headphones and concerts. I can only hear it when a room is dead silent, but still. im only 19, so I need to preserve what I have.

nojazzhere, telemnemonics and mnutz like this.

15. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    Last month, my most excellent powered speakers climbed the curtain to sing with the choir invisible. I've sorted the parts out to repair/rebuild them, but I lack a round tuit to finish the job. I must get one soon.
    I'm currently using a Bluetooth speaker that doesn't respond below ~50Hz and seems to roll off around 10KHz. Dungtastic response curve speakers will skew the results.
    With headphones, I get to around 13KHz. Last time I tried that video ( or one similar ), with my old speakers, my children were complaining about the high pitched whine, in a high pitched whine.

telemnemonics likes this.

16. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I can't hear the very bottom. Nothing until 45 Hz then up 5759 Hz.

17. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I wouldn't read much into this.

Real hearing tests measure tones at specified decibel levels, this one gets messed up in big ways by:

- Telling you to turn the volume up
    - Not specifying volume levels at all
    - Not being EQed to the amp/sound card in the computer
    - Whatever Google is doing with audio compression (which cuts frequency bands)
    - Not being EQed to your headphones

I listened on my Sony MDR-7506s. They don't have a "bass boost". Very noticeable. They also have a prominent midrange dip around 6k that is very easy to hear in this test. And their response drops off a cliff above 10k. So everyone would think they are near deaf above 10k on these headphones.

My son had a hearing test this week at the doctor, the nurse let me hear some of the tones. I have had a cold, I had a really noticeable problem hearing 500hz @ 20db the other day because my sinuses on the right side + ear were inflamed. Kind of scary. I could hear it in the other ear @ 20db and could hear it in the irritated ear @ 25db. Kind of interesting as we mostly hear about higher frequencies. I'd bet today I could hear that 20db tone fine. (20db is really quiet too!)

Most of us *can* still hear those high frequencies as we get older, it's a question of at what dB level we can hear them.

18. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

From the beginning (20 HZ) to about 13500 HZ on small desktop speakers... Not bad for 60 years old, I think.

19. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    I think my stereo limits more than my hearing. I always hear a sharp dropoff around 17Khz and nothing seems to come on until about 35-40hz. I believe it's just the bandwidth of my speakers, although I'm surprised that working on amps hasn't had more of a detrimental effect to my HF range.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.