Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Hum cancelling - Duncan or Dimarzio?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by infrared72, Jun 24, 2011.

1. infrared72

infrared72 TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2008
    orange county, ca
    I've got a Highway one telecaster that I want to install hum cancelling pickups into. Any thoughts on Duncan vs. Dimarzio? I have some Dimarzio Area Strat pickups that I really like, so I was thinking a set of Area Tele pickups as well. But then I saw Duncan makes a stacked hum cancelling Tele pickup. Any one have experience with the Area T or Duncan Stacked Tele pickups?
  2. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Jun 9, 2003
    Never tried the Duncans but I love the Area-T's in my Tele.
  3. TheTeleGuy

TheTeleGuy TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Check the Toneriders.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. NJ Tele

NJ Tele TDPRI Member

Feb 1, 2011
    New Jersey
    +1 Area T's rule.:D
  6. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

May 7, 2003
    DiMarzio Area Ts... I really like the Hot T in the bridge.
  7. infrared72

infrared72 TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2008
    orange county, ca
    alright.. seems like the consensus is Dimarzio Area T's. Thanks for sharing.

I've never tried a single coil wired "hotter" - what exactly should I expect from that? Does it sound more mid-rangey or more like a p90?
  8. Hoodster

Hoodster Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2007
    Check out my Area T demo:

9. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2013
    In my telecasters I installed Dimarzio hum cancelling pick ups, two area T's in one, and in tele 2 an area T in the neck position with a Fast track in the bridge (tele 2 is for snarly slide) .The fast track cleans up real well when I roll back the volume.
  10. Codger

Codger Tele-Meister

May 16, 2009
    Areat T's, and they work with a 4-way switch too!
  11. Turtletwang

Turtletwang Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2006
    New York City
    Sorry, can't say I've tried either of them. However, you might want to consider a set of Custom Shop Nocasters. They are hum cancelling in the middle position and sound great.
  12. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Meister

Dec 18, 2011
    I use the Duncan Vintage Stack in the bridge and really like it. But I did not really really like it until I put in 500K CTS audio taper pots. That gives maximum treble. Also,I painted the top of it with Testors flat black model paint to get rid of the logo.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  13. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    Wilde L280TN, L200TN, or L202TN (for a vintage look), and L200TL for bridge. Best value in noise-free Tele pups out there.
  14. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I always go with copper shielding the guitar. I find it gets the hum down to an almost imperceptible level and I've yet to find a stacked single coil that sounds as sweet to my ear as a true single coil...close but no cigar. (Maybe some of it is prejudice-- I admit that I could possibly be fooled in a blind test, at least by the best examples of the technology.)

But copper foil is a lot cheaper than new pickups! Noiseless can be nice in the studio, and I used to keep a Tele with Bardens just for that purpose. Now I just don't worry about it, and like I said, the hum is usually very, very low, anyway.
  15. jbdrumbo

jbdrumbo Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2010
    athens ga
  16. editorjuno

editorjuno Tele-Afflicted

Don't dismiss Bill and Becky's other bridge pickup options while you're there -- although the L-200TL is the most "vintage"-sounding "noisefree" due to its alnico pole pieces, the steel-poled, more Nocasterish L-290TL is also very popular, and the L-298TL (my personal choice, FWIW), with its stainless steel poles and alnico 8 magnets, is a tone monster in combination with a Q-Filter (highly recommended to keep it under control). Remarkably, the L-298TL also has less magnetic string pull than any other Tele bridge pickup I've ever encountered, yet it has the most output of the lot -- an amazing feat until you remember Bill has been designing pickups for over 60 years.
  17. Edwin

Edwin Banned

Jun 23, 2010
    I've heard years ago from a salesman that if you're east coast it's Dimarzio and west coast it's Seymour Duncan.
  18. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Seymour Duncan is Coke and DiMarzio is Pepsi? But you're right about the coasts, too.

People have a hard time making the switch, but when it comes to affordable after-market pickups I'm starting to think DiMarzio may be getting some things really right these days-- the True Velvets, Twang Kings, etc., seem to have a bit more character while retaining vintage mojo than the SD competition. Even SD's famous humbuckers such as the JB and '59 seem to be very bland compared to some newer designs, in my opinion.
  19. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2008
    Princeton, NJ
    Bill Lawrence's L200s if you're looking for traditional Fender tone, or the L280s/L48TL for more versatile noiseless models. The micros are the most capable and are singles with dramatically less sensitivity to noise than conventional Fender-style singles.
  20. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2013
    :lol: a very clever trick, nice move
  21. Ricardo Moraes

Ricardo Moraes Tele-Meister

DiMarzio Tone Zone T. Installed it in a tele that had a faint Fender Vintage and the result was incredible!
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.