Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hughes and Kettner Red Box through a PA

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by dlew919, Aug 4, 2017.

1. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    One of the technical issues you get occasionally is the need to play straight through a pa, rather than an amp with a solid body guitar.

Can the red box be effective in this?

I see it as

Guitar - pedal board - red box - Mixer.

Using a mic lead from the red box to the PA.

Is this too simple? Does it work., Youube tells me how great it is with an amp, or in a recording situation. 1 video mentioned in passing you could use it without an amp but it seemed he hadn't actually tried it.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum. Please advise which one is right.

And thanks in advance.

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    It works!.
    Guitar - pedal board - Red Box - mixer works just fine.
    You are wholly dependant on your pedal board for your sound. You may not like the clean sound, but with an amp sim pedal or tasty overdrive ( or two ), maybe a 3 band or more EQ, it can be done.
    It's a different sound and feel to having an amp compressing and singing behind you, but it can sound good and makes load in/out a lot easier!
    If you're the one using the Red Box, for pedal board operation, ask the person running the sound for phantom power unless you're running it from the pedal board supply, and make sure you've got the switch set to 0Db...
    I've used a Red Box in just that situation ( venue supplied ) and a Behringer Ultra-G DI ( mine ) and had good results. Still prefer an amp, but 'no stage amps!' means just that sometimes.

dlew919 likes this.

3. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Brilliant! Thank you. I'm going to try it tomorrow night. (I'll keep an amp in the car, just in case....) that tip on 0 db is useful. Thanks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.