Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Hubble Deep Field

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JayFreddy, Jun 10, 2008.

1. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    There must be some astronomers here who play Telecasters!

Every time I look at the Deep Field series of images from the Hubble telescope, I am awestruck by the majestic beauty of the universe we inhabit.

"Peering into the Ultra Deep Field is like looking through an eight-foot-long soda straw... Ten Billion years into the past..." :eek: :eek: :eek:

Somehow the galaxies remind me of wildflowers:

[​IMG]

2. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Cool. Sure makes ya feel insignificant don't it? :D

3. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Beauty beyond scope.
    Never knew about this site. Thanx

4. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

I really feel like a bug when I see that picture.

A pretty significant bug*, but a bug never-the-less.

If you know what I mean.

;)

*at least from my own point-of-view.

5. Telewilly

Telewilly Tele-Meister

Apr 19, 2008
    Katmandoo
    I like that pic. It would make a pretty cool pickguard.

6. markothefish

markothefish Friend of Leo's

Sep 3, 2004
    Greenville, Rhode Island
    Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Carl Sagan

[​IMG]

7. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

Nov 16, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    It's mind boggling to think that every point of light in that picture is a galaxy that contains many billions of stars - and it is just a sliver of sky about the width of a dime held 75 feet away!

8. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2006
    South London
    Fantastic, thanks for posting!
    I think that if I could truly understand how large the universe is or how small it can be, I would either reach a buddha state...
    ....or my brain would explode and the rest would spontaneously combust.

9. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    Actually, those are wildflowers. Sometimes the guys at NASA get to drinking and start pointing Hubble the wrong way. Well.....you see the result.

10. woodman

woodman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free + Supporter

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    as a kid, i bought into the sci-fi notion that it wouldn't be long until we explored space and thought someday i'd see sights like that in person. at the very least, i thought i'd be able to go to the moon by the time i was this age. oh well, maybe in another lifetime!

11. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

Thanx for the pix & link Bro'....
    whenever i see the Hubble deep field pix, i'm reminded of Psalm 147: 4 & 5

Thanx again !

12. ThreePlyGuy

ThreePlyGuy Friend of Leo's

Great White Elephant

The deep field photos are some of my faves. It is incredable that they are such a tiny portion of the sky! A 13mm Nagler in my 16" F4.5 though not quite as inspireing will drop your jaw. I just returned to my mountain home for the summer, looking forward to some chilly nights at the cameras and eyepieces. No, I don't keep the Great White in the house, we rolled her in for a while as her pad was being poured here. This isn't an astrophoto site but I do have hundreds I have taken if anyone were interested? Sorry about quality here, need to shoot some better over to bucket. Happy Father's Day everyone![​IMG]

13. Gaber_771

Gaber_771 Tele-Meister

Jan 8, 2007
    WV
    without any intention of starting a war, can you really look at those pictures and think that humans are the only entity capable of reason, compassion, love, music, etc... ? Thats what those pics make me think of, intergalactic telecasters...

14. Fendrcaster

Fendrcaster Tele-Afflicted

How can people not believe there are other planets with intelligent life amongst the billions of galaxies out there?

Edit: I guess Gaber 771 and I are on the same wavelength!

15. ajgus

ajgus Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    chicago

grand_moff_tarkin_1.jpg

16. Big John

Big John RIP

Feb 1, 2006
    Austin Tx.
    Nah, your'e definitely not the only ones !!, it makes you feel a little small though doesn't it ?, wonder if the other folks out there look up and think the same thing.

17. mudbean

mudbean Friend of Leo's

As a longtime amateur astronomer, my personal opinion is that the Hubble Space Telescope is one of the coolest things we've accomplished as a species. (YMMV)

mud

18. ajgus

ajgus Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    chicago
    I believe you are correct, sir.

19. Gilamnstr

Gilamnstr Tele-Afflicted

Feb 20, 2007
    Northwest AZ
    Astronomy is one of the most mind-boggling hobbies I've ever had. It's amazing to look through the eyepiece at far-away galaxies, nebulae, etc. and actually try to grok the immensity of the universe.

The Hubble Deep Field makes our terrestrial telescopes seem like childrens' toys by comparison.

20. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    HST is one of my favorite past times, right after the TDPRI.... it makes me feel like I'm a microbe, on a microbe, on a microbe, on a microbe, on a microbe, on a microbe, on a microbe, on a microbe, on a microbe, . . . . .

Ron Kirn

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.