Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

HSS Wiring Help - No auto-split

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by mamoru, Jun 27, 2017.

1. mamoru

mamoru TDPRI Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Brazil
    Hi There!

I have a Cort G250, with HSS pickups setup and push pull pot (to split the humbucker), 1 vol, 1 tone with a 5 way-switch (Auto-Split on position 2).
    I'm planning to change it to a 1 Master Volume, 1 Bridge Tone, 1 Mid + Neck Tone but I've been told that it's not possible to have a setup like this with the Auto Split option.

I don't really care for Auto-Split (as I can split it with the Push/pull pot) but I would like to have separate control of the Single coils Tone and Humbucker Tone.

How would be the wiring of this?
    Should I get a 250K pot or a 500K for the extra tone pot?

here is the link for the wiring as it is on the manufacturers site:
    http://www.cortguitars.com/uFiles//product/77/schematics/G250 .pdf

Thank you so much!

2. waltschwarzkopf

waltschwarzkopf TDPRI Member

May 17, 2017
    Zürich
    I've been looking for a similar diagram but I couldn't find one... However, I do know how to do it but I'm away from my computer. If you remind me I'll do it for you tomorrow.

Regarding your questions:
    It is true that you cannot have autosplit and "shared" tones simultaneously. I like the idea of having a tone for the HB and another for the SCs. And since you can split the HB with the push/pull, you won't be losing anything.
    I recommend that you use the 500K for the HB and get a 250K for the SCs.

mamoru likes this.

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Delete the black wire from the switch to ground

Delete the green from switch to push/pull pot. Remove the red wire to switch and send it directly to where green goes.

Those two steps undo the auto-split.

mamoru likes this.

4. mamoru

mamoru TDPRI Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Brazil
    Thanks for the kind response. And I would be really thankful if you could upload your diagram!

Thank you very much for the instructions!
    I drawed over the manufacturer's diagram. If you happen to check it, could you tell me if it's right?

Attached Files:

5. waltschwarzkopf

May 17, 2017
    Zürich
    Hi agian, What he said is basically correct; however, you also wanted two tones correct?

With this wiring, you should be able to have this with the push/pull down

H (bridge)
    H + S
    S (middle)
    S + S
    S (neck)

and this with the push/pull up

H_split (bridge)
    H_split + S
    S (middle)
    S + S
    S (neck)

Also, one master volume, a tone for neck and middle (I suggest 250KOhm pot and a 0.022uF capacitor) and another tone just for the bridge (I suggest 500KOhm pot and a 0.047uF capacitor).

There is not "5-way import switch" on the software, but I tried to impovise. Also it may looks messy, but it's just because of all the ground cables.

I hope this helps and let us know if you need anything else.

CORT-G250.png

waparker4 likes this.

6. mamoru

mamoru TDPRI Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Brazil

Hello, thank you for all the work you've gone through.
    I redrawed your diagram over the one I had. Is it like this or have I understood something wrong?

Thank you so much!

Attached Files:

7. waltschwarzkopf

May 17, 2017
    Zürich
    It looks fine to me. Now all that is left to do is rewire it and see how it sounds. Good luck and keep us posted.

8. mamoru

mamoru TDPRI Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Brazil
    I have just rewired the guitar, added the new tone knob, changed the silver knobs to white ones and installed a new humbucker.

It sounds great and works good.
    The only thing I had to change was the Humbucker hot and ground wire since it was acting weird on position 2.

Here's a before after of the work!
    The only thing left is to change the single coils cover to white ones.

Thank you so much for the help!

20170805_193440-COLLAGE.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.