Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

HS (Tele) Pickup Configuration

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Dan Spiffy Neuman, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Dan Spiffy Neuman Tele-Holic

Apr 4, 2016
    Madison, WI
    If I have an HS guitar (in my case a Tele) with the humbucker in the neck position, does it matter the polarity of the neck pickup? Do I need to look for a reverse wound one?

BTW what is the difference between a reverse wound pickup and just flipping the leads?

2. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
    Instead of looking for a reverse wound pickup, just get the 4-conductor version of whatever humbucker you like. Then you can simply swap leads (change polarity) if you run into any problems. This also opens up the possibility of coil-splitting the humbucker if you're open to the idea of 4 or 5 way switching.

This article has some useful info on pickup coils: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/rwrp-1

3. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Apr 4, 2016
    Madison, WI
    The pickup currently in there has 4 conductors.

Right now it is silent on neck, hums a little on both, hums a lot on bridge. I wonder if I might make it quieter on both with a different configuration.

I just dont know about H/S combinations.

4. tessting1two

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
    Sounds like you've got a wiring issue or two to sort out first. The tele/humbucker combo is pretty awesome so don't give up on it.
    1. First things first: make sure the wires on the output jack aren't backwards. It happens to the best of us (don't ask how I know).
    2. Next: double check the wire color codes for your humbucker to make sure you have the right wires going to the right places. Different manufacturers adopt different color codes. Here is a list of a bunch of them: https://guitarelectronics.com/guitar-wiring-resources/humbucker-wire-color-codes/
    3. Next: go back to your diagram and make sure your switch is wired correctly, especially the jumper wires.

5. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Apr 4, 2016
    Madison, WI
    I dont think anything's wired wrong, it's just the normal single coil hum with the bridge pickup, reduced when mixed with the humbucker. Was wondering if it could be reduced further.

6. tessting1two

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
    Sorry, I thought "silent on neck" meant no output. As far as single coil hum you can certainly try shielding the bridge pickup and control cavities and shield the cable between the control cavity to the output jack.

7. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Apr 4, 2016
    Madison, WI
    It's not an unbearable amount of hum. Just wanted to make sure I had used the correct type of humbucker.

8. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Melbourne

9. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Apr 4, 2016
    Madison, WI
    Yes, it sounds as it should AFAIK

10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Make sure to swap out the separate pair of wires to the output jack with a shielded cable. I find that helps a lot. One guitar that was the main source even after I shielded the guitar (humbucker guitar).

Think of your HS as really a potential SSS system to open up your thinking on options. Determine polarity of each bobbin for best combinations (practical method is a volt meter attached to the bobbin and see if voltage goes + to - when you bring a screwdriver shank at and then away from the coil or - to + when the steel comes at and pulls away). You could easily look at a Strat 5-way switch, Nashville blender, Dan Armstrong Blender, Seven Tone Strat/Gilmour mod, etc. Or just push/pull tone pot to split the coil.

One trick I do with HH LPs is lower the neck pickup and raise the screw slugs in a Strat stagger pattern -- gives a lot better cleans than the typical humbucker (I mostly play cleans on the neck) -- clearer on blues crunch too.

11. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Mine has a single coil sized humbucker on bridge and overwound single covered on neck. 4 way switch that can split bridge with 500k vol pot and no-load 250k tone pot. It is not noisy at all.

[​IMG]

12. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Apr 4, 2016
    Madison, WI
    I like the idea of using a 5 way.

I dont know how I'd wire it, but I'd want it to do this:

H, S+S, H+S, S+S, S

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.