How's your local newspaper doing?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by micpoc, May 6, 2019.

1. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's one of the most absurd things I've read on here in a while. So all of us complaining about slanted news do so because we can't make objective decisions on our own? We like our news slanted, just slanted our way? So objectivity is not a goal?

2. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I buy my toilet paper in rolls.

Milspec likes this.
  3. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

We still have one but as much as I like holding and reading an actual newspaper I hate getting rid of them more. So no subscription for me. I'd go digital but they want auto pay . That's a no go zone

4. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

When I first moved here the population was somewhere south of 40,000. Now it has climbed somewhere north of 160,000 - 170,000. In that time the local paper, which claims to be the oldest in Tennessee, has shrunk from having 3 or 4 sections filled with mostly local community news to what appeared to be a single folded sheet with an insert the last time I remember seeing it. It was bought by one of the larger papers in the state some years ago, and that's when the shrinkage started. I think it's kind of sad really.

I guess just like Video Killed The Radio Star, the internet killed newspaper journalism.

5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Right now, the papers in my area publish a standard paper and a weekly shopper with all the grocery ads. Sad part is that the weekly shopper is becoming nearly as thick as the standard paper and far more popular. I really wish they would become popular again as they pump a lot of money into the post offices that are delivering them. I also prefer to sit down and read a paper then looking for updates on the internet....that and doing the crossword puzzle.

I think they could become viable again if they focussed only on the local news topics since that is not the stuff you get on CNN. It would take some creativity and effort, but still possible, although I do not see it happening.

I still remember our type-setter back then. He used to start the day by pouring out rubber cement onto a sheet of wax paper. He would ball up the cement to use as an ink blender during the day, dude was higher than a kite most days. Mechanical typesetters and dark room staff are dead occupations that I once held. It makes feel like I am a 100 years old some days.

uriah1 likes this.
  6. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

How so?

7. scrapyardblue

Google has been found in a number of studies to manipulate both news and search results. They have been accused of deceptive practices in blacklisting sources that do not follow their philosophy, while directing viewers to news and searches favorable to their beliefs. Several studies found that they provided tens of millions of positive links to a certain contestant, bypassing similar positive news of an opposing contestant (or simply redirected elsewhere).

I encourage you to do your own research and come to your own conclusions. The dangerous part is that they are a private company and simply deny any accusation of bias with no repercussions so far in the U.S. When users rely upon them for news results and search results, by the billions, they affect public opinion, commerce and policy (and the user won't even know it).

In a thread where a good portion of forum members blame one-sidedness as a reason for no longer trusting newspapers, I find it ironic that you rely on Google for your news. They are the biggest offender in the world.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  8. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Our local newspaper sells 350,000/day in a metro area with about 1.5 million people.
    It's thick with ads and has lots of news items, national stories, local stories, business stories and human interest stories.
    Mind you, I live in Europe, where the newspaper is not (yet) dead.

uriah1 likes this.
  9. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Much better now that they've gone online...

10. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Internet/cable news media being biased isn't a problem. People are just unbelievably lazy. The internet has provided you with news from around the world. Instead of you ingesting what some print editor in your zip code tells you to read, you can pop onto your phone, computer, tablet, any time anywhere, and get all the freaking news you want from anywhere. The good ol days of having your news force fed to to you via paper or local channel is over. It's now your job to shuffle through the crap and create your own biased news safety net. And that's why news is so divided now. People made it that way. The people that like Fox or Huffpost made them that way.

beyer160 likes this.
  11. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

+ Digital Phones
    - Loss Newspaper
    - Loss of Malls
    - Loss of Neighborhods
    - Loss of talking at grocery stores
    - Loss of talking at Libraries
    - Loss of Libraries
    - Loss of language skills
    - Loss of Gilligans Island
    - carry on

ps..where did I leave my iphone this morn..

12. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Just line right up behind whichever "news source" tells you what you want to hear, and cry foul at the rest. This is the news media world we've created. We all want it this way. Trusty unbiased honorable journalism newspapers would still exist if as many people kept reading them as they do lamenting their death.

Modman68 and beyer160 like this.
  13. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

First, I never mentioned you in my comment. If you'd like to include yourself in this group however, be my guest.

To answer your question though, yes. A distressingly large segment of the American population no longer treats news as a way to gather information, but as a way to confirm what they already believe- the classic Confirmation Bias. Any information that contradicts their beliefs is simply evidence that the news source is "skewed" or has an "agenda." Media organizations now exist that cater to every viewpoint, so it's easy for people to find news that agrees with them, which makes it easier to reject any information that doesn't. We are now a nation of multiple conflicting realities, with entire media organizations to reinforce them.

Modman68 and tvvoodoo like this.
  14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I am guilty of this. There are news channels I only "hate watch".

15. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

I really hated to click on this. Put it off... put it off... but here I am.

I worked in newspapers for nearly two decades. I walked away a couple of years ago.

The bulk of my “glory years” was spent at The Virginian-Pilot in Norfolk, Va. When I arrived there in 2003, the building was like a mini-city. Packed to the gills, with its own cafeteria and credit union. Pretty much everyone who worked there loved it and was proud of it.

Within five years, the economy had tanked and things started going south fast in the newspaper biz. Soon thereafter, the first round of layoffs. I was downsized in the third round. Things continue to deteriorate there.

After leaving the Pilot, I moved to Louisville, Kentucky. I’d been hired by Gannett to work in its design studio, a new concept in the industry. I worked and lived in Louisville, but designed Michigan newspapers. I’d never even visited that state. What’s worse, the studio didn’t feel like a newsroom. More like a modern college library... lined with computers. Quiet. Antiseptic. And that’s to say nothing of Gannett’s notorious work environment/management.

I was miserable my entire five years there. When a long term relationship ended suddenly, I realized it was time for a major change.

I miss working in newspapers. However, the work environment I miss is a thing of the past.

tvvoodoo, micpoc, beach bob and 2 others like this.
  16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

My local newspapers mostly survive via their online content but one of the two papers gets listed in reviews of non-biased papers. The crazy part is how polarized people criticize the paper from both directions and rarely read the whole paper. Same people think nonsense when something occurs in area communities and they act like a fast one was pulled on them but of course it was in the news.

I subscribe to a few news outlets. I read news before opinion. I don't find the problems and bias many complain about but I also work with data and security. I might be less bothered because just my day job is training to accept and analyze information whether or not I like it.

For those interested in confirmation bias and human behavior: Check out the recent Hidden Brain podcast "Why No One Feels Rich". You need to consider correlation and causation are not the same but parts of it are interesting none the less.

People interested in this stuff might also like the book Master Switch and work of the late Hans Rosling and his kids.

The newspapers are sill important whether print or pixels. You get public announcements and what's going on near you far better than thinking social media is quality news.

uriah1 likes this.
  17. scrapyardblue

I took your earlier response as a generalization of comments in this thread, of which I was one, so perhaps I did take it personally. And no, I am not one of those people who seek comfort in my news.

I'm only interested in the truth. I think a huge amount of people are sickened by the polarization in the news and elsewhere. People gravitate to their news because the other outlets are absurdly biased in their claims. When we are bombarded with cable and print telling us how we should think, why we should rejoice in this movie or get behind this next social cause or person because it is the only way, people go elsewhere to seek their truth.

What you are saying above and what I am saying may not be far apart, but where I will disagree is that media is reinforcing people's beliefs. I say media is the cause of the separation not the other way around. People aren't inherently looking for comfort in their news, they are running away from garbage.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Nothing else comes to mind?

19. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I still believe, that is is probably not polarization, but, media (smart phones,etc)..
    They don't read it to know if it is right, center, or left. Then it is gone.
    Lazy societies do not read.

I also like the comics. But never was a fan of crossword
    puzzles. My mom was great at those.

20. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

When I got out of college I tried to find a job writing for newspapers. I hadn't gone to "J-school", so no one would hire me to write, but I got my first job selling advertising. I thought I could "jump the fence" later to the editorial side; no one told me about the 20-foot wall with concertina wire and guard dogs that divided the two departments.

It became clear to me then that while newspapers' First Amendment function is grand and important, subscriptions didn't pay for the ink on the paper. Any newspaper is first and foremost a vehicle for carrying advertising, and advertising revenue pays the people who put out the paper. When that revenue shrinks, the paper shrinks.

Where local advertising money was concerned, the pressure back then came from radio and television stations, but strong local newspapers had the advantage of much greater market penetration. After that, the first real hit came from cable television, with its package combinations and improved local production of commercial advertising.

Now the internet is in the fray.

For years now the salvation of local newspapers has been the "inserts", the pre-printed advertising circulars put out by grocery and department-store chains, usually weekly or monthly. Of course there has been competition for these too, from "shopper" periodicals and direct-mail companies, but paid-circulation newspapers have a subsidized mailing rate, and most have been able to hold on to their key insert advertisers.

To answer the OP's question: our local "daily" paper is coming out just big enough and just often enough now to wrap the grocery and department-store advertising that comes with it. The number of reporters has dwindled, too, and I guess I won't comment about their writing; what do I know? Pretty sad.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.