Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How's this for a tele jazz tone?

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by maxvintage, Jul 8, 2007.

1. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    It's me imitating a jazz player with a Aebersold backing track, with a generous helping of steamed clams--the solo is better than the head and sounds better too.

http://chnm.gmu.edu/courses/magic/looker.mp4

It's this tele:

[​IMG]

Recorded through an Avalon U5 Di into Logic Pro

2. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Great tone! Great playing and a cool tele.

Dan

3. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Nashville Tn.
    Hi Maxvintage

Hi Maxvintage......
    That is wonderful tone out of that faux Charlie Christian pickup....Could you tell us more about it...(like who made it, does its output match with your tele rear pickup etc....etc....)

Thanks
    Bill Hullett

4. StuH

StuH Friend of Leo's

May 12, 2006
    Yukon, Canada
    Very nice. Very jazzy .... wow, sounds amazing. Why did you cut it short.

5. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

Jun 25, 2006
    Morro Bay, Ca

6. olewichita

olewichita Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    austin, tx
    i've been wanting to put a charlie christian lollar in my tele but i don't really want to reroute my GVCG, no matter how slight... i'm sure jason has tried to make it an exact fit and couldn't make it a perfect replacement... i might still bite the bullet at some point... tj

7. Robin Nahum

Robin Nahum Friend of Leo's

Mar 5, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi Max,

I'm at work and can't listen until I get home but that Charlie looks great in the blackguard.

8. maxvintage

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Guys thanks so much! All I hear are the clams and "rhythmic infelicities." My wife and kids are away and so I have more time than usual for this kind of thing.

The pickup is Pete Biloft's "vintage vibe CCRider." I had to do some routing to fit it in. But it's a parts tele, nothing special, and had already been routed for a strat pickup in the middle position when i got it.

The pickup comes with alnico and ceramic magnets, which you can switch out yourself--the clip was the ceramic magnets.

It's pretty height sensitive, and the advantages of the ceramic mags is that you can back it off without losing the full sound--I found with the alnico mags that it sounded great set fairly high, but it overwhelmed the bridge pickup, and when I backed it down it got thin. Now with the ceramic mags I have the pickup set so it's just about equal to the bridge pickup, maybe slightly louder, and it still has a full sound with clarity. It'd be easy to back it down a hair to make them even.

I cut it off because it's a LONG backing track and I was running out of things to say! Also I'm too technically inept to understand why my fade out didn't work

I shouldn't do this, but here's the same clip with the "studio magic" missing--it gives a better sense of what the pickup sounds like

http://chnm.gmu.edu/courses/magic/nomakeup.mp4

If anyone's interested, the track was recorded direct--the tele into an Avalon U5, then into a Mackie Satellite, then into LogicPro. It was processed in Logic with some EQ, reverb, a compressor, and then mastered with Ozone3, which is a terrific piece of software for the "home recordist."

9. Robin Nahum

Mar 5, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Sounds great - better without makeup. My VV Charlie has just that kind of sound too - mellow single coil.

And it's lovely to hear you play.

Delighted that you made the right choice.

10. pbenn

pbenn Tele-Afflicted

Apr 6, 2007
    Toronto
    I quite enjoyed that. You didn't start playing yesterday. I was going to ask about your rhythm pickup but everyone else has beat me to it. Thanks.

Peter

11. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    It's not as true as often as people wish it were, but in your case, the tone really does come from the hands. I appreciate the left hand nuances and their effect on phrasing.

I wonder if a blend pot might make sense for combining the two very different pickups?

Beautiful playing and sound.

12. psychotelepathic

psychotelepathic Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Great tones and great playing!

13. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    Admin Post
    Gee -- I actually like that track better. :oops: Of course, I don't take usually take cream in my coffee, either. ;-) Hehe.

NICE playing btw, :cool: and thanks so much for all the excellent info on the pickup and the magnets. We absolutely need to get together for a "pick and grin" sometime. :idea:

Way to go, and thanks again! :) CS

14. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

Dec 30, 2006
    Australia
    wow...great tone and nice playing.

That's 2 CC neck pups I've heard in Teles in as many weeks, and although I didn't really like the look of them pointy pups, I must say that tone has just made me want to do a blackguard build...and you can guess what's going into the neck slot....

15. collinsman

collinsman Tele-Afflicted

Nice...really nice - BTW, is there a site where i can download some of those backing track ? thanks

16. psychotelepathic

psychotelepathic Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Cool. I have a set of Pete's strat pickups, custom wound to my specs. I'll never take 'em out and Pete is a class act. Great value for custom wound pickups.

17. telechaser

telechaser Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2007
    Australia
    Wow, I couldn't believe that tone is coming from a Tele. I now have an excuse to get rid of my jazz guitar and build a Tele partscaster with this pups on.

You guitar looks awesome as well. Is it solid body or chambered? Is your guitar fitted with flat wound strings? What amp did you use?

I really like that high end bit of the tone where my jazz guitar is lacking. Well, can't really expect much from a cheap jazz guitar. It did sound a little better with a change of pickups. I'd prefer to play a Tele with that tone any day.

I play my guitars through a Laney VC30 with 2 x 70/80 Celestions so a lot of headroom there.

18. maxvintage

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Thank you!

it's a solid alder body, on the light side, with pyramid nickel roundwounds--12s I think, maybe 11s. They're pretty old strings. I didn't use an amp--it's recorded direct

19. johnnytronics

johnnytronics Tele-Holic

Feb 20, 2006
    Big Apple, NYC
    Nice playing. I just bought two bar pickups wound by Pete so I didn't have to route out the body. I'm anxious to get them in, especially after hearing you

20. Robin Nahum

Mar 5, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Did I lie? :D

I tried .011 Webstring flatwounds on mine but they thounded like thith. Nickel roundwound .011s are my choice. The flats work a treat on my ES345 though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.