Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Howdy

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by dhempy, Jan 24, 2017.

1. dhempy

dhempy TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Santa Rosa Valley, CA
    Good Morning from Chilly So Cal!

Finishing a tele build I started 30 years ago and stumbled onto this site looking for CAD/CAM help. Going to try for vintage ... body is black walnut burl.

Dan

wayloncash and tery like this.

2. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Welcome! You're in the right place, The Tele Home Depot and Finely Finished are great resources.
    Looking forward to seeing your projects!

3. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Tele-Afflicted

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern NJ
    welcome aboard. Post Pics and you'll get lots of responses...

4. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Chilly So Cal - warm Northeast Ohio! Welcome!

5. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    Howdy to you.

6. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Welcome to the forum !!

7. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.

8. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Welcome to TDPRI :) ... Black Walnut Burl is classy !

9. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Whoa! And I thought I was a big procrastinator! Welcome Dan!

String__________:::]

10. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oct 27, 2015
    Melbourne, Austraila
    Welcome Dan! We'd love to see some work-in-progress pics.

11. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    30 YEARS AGO?! It's already vintage, by default.
    Welcome to the TDPRI!

12. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Oct 28, 2009
    Galveston, TX
    Welcome to TDPRI Dan!

13. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Apr 7, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Welcome, can't wait to see your bulid.

14. dhempy

dhempy TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Santa Rosa Valley, CA
    Thanks everyone for your gracious welcome. Here is a little bit about the back story for those interested.

About 40 years ago I was working with a fellow that had these 3 huge walnut burl slabs. I traded him $25 and a B&W TV for them (knew I had a steal) and turned them into a couple of end tables and coffee table. Sometime around 30 years ago I signed up to use the high school woodshop (because they had more tools that I did!) and started a guitar with one of those slabs I was recycling from one of the end tables. I was able to get the piece flat with the planer and get the main shape cut out on the bandsaw. I'll try to get a pic up later but I cut it out such that the new wood is along the back end of the body and follows the curve nicely. I then struggled with how to do the cutouts. I had already built a solid Koa Les Paul Junior using self-made masonite router templates but it was just "OK". I then set out to determine how best to do the cutouts .. I was thinking mill or some other way to accurately do the cutting (pickup cutouts etc.) I never really found something I would be totally comfortable doing. Fast forward (past kids, job changes, etc.) to a couple of months ago ... a Craigslist ad mentioning adult education in a shop with a CNC router and my old project came back to life! (This shop teaches a class in guitar making!!) After chatting up the instructor, he set me up with Fusion 3d (which is what they use in their shop) and kind of turned me loose. I managed to find Ed Hawley's stuff and figured modeling it after a '53 would be very cool. So I'm working on getting everything ready in Fusion 360 (I've imported his DXF file and have connected most of the dots ... working towards the "model" that speaks to the CNC router). I do plan to test a couple of "scrap" bodies before putting my walnut in harm's way. I don't plan to attempt a neck ... I'll just buy a licensed replica... not exactly sure what I'll do for pickups but I would like to try to maintain a vintage look. I'm also torn about a pickguard. A true '53 guard covers up so much really cool grain figure that it would be a real shame.

You guys can bet I'll be asking for some tips/tricks/recommends going forward! Luckily I was introduced to the guys at Jennings Guitar and they've offered to kibbutz as well ... AND they have a spray booth! Those with CAD/CAM experience don't be shy to offer immediate advice!

Once I get a picture I'll go ahead and start a new build thread ... and try to reference it from here ... but I'm old and forget easily! So if I neglect to do it .. you've already got my excuse!

I also was given a sweet custom shop Tele with humbuckers (I'll try to get a pic of that one too) from a local legend in Indianapolis ... Governor Davis ... who had given it to my friend that doesn't play. After taking it to a guitar tech, I was told that some of the original functionality had been "rewired" so I'll be asking some questions about returning that one to original too!

Dan

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017

15. dhempy

dhempy TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Santa Rosa Valley, CA
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of the Custom Shop Tele. I have no idea what vintage it is. I'll be looking for help elsewhere. Dan
    20170128_125712[1].jpg

16. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.