Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Howdy, ya'll

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Bergy, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Bergy

Bergy TDPRI Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Denver
    Howdy there, TDPRI. I’ve been using the forum a lot lately and decided to join in. Here are some of my primary pieces of gear;

[​IMG]
    #1. American Special Telecaster. This is my primary electric guitar and I’ve upgraded it as much as I could with recommendations from this forum (thanks!). I spend most of my time on the neck pickup, which is a Fralin Steel-Pole 43. It has convinced me that I need to seek gritty P90 sounds more often.

[​IMG]
    #2. Huss and Dalton CM Custom. This is my primary acoustic guitar. I don’t mess with it. :) Well worn!

[​IMG]
    #3. Gibson ES-137. I played this guitar a ton at one point. The neck-side strap button recently ripped out, which is apparently a common problem for this make. I’ve used mostly flat-wound strings on this guitar, although I plan on changing that. I also eventually plan on upgrading pickups on this at some point, unless someone talks me out of it!

[​IMG]
    #4. 1989 Strat Plus. I’ve nearly played the frets off of this thing. Currently out of commission until I can slap some big ol’ stainless steel 6100-sized frets on ‘em (unless someone convincingly suggests otherwise, as well!).

[​IMG]
    #5. MiM Stratocaster. I have upgraded just about everything but the pickups, and that'll be next up on the slate.

[​IMG]
    #6. Alessandro Rottweiler. Great amp that I use when I can. I often run a Roland Cube (80 watt) instead to save wear-and-tear. Hoping to build a 5e3 at some point in the next year or so.

[​IMG]
    #7. My Pedalboard. I run a Crybaby Wah to the right side. I don’t really use most of these pedals, except the clean boost from the Empress Buffer+, and the Timmy. Really like the sound of my Timmy at 18v. The rest of the pedals are basically options for other jam session people to use. I probably shouldn't instigate them....

Here are my current builds that I have been referencing TDPRI for (again… much thanks, ya’ll!);

[​IMG]
    #8. Cab Fail. Tested my finger-joint jig on some common board from Home Depot. Then proceeded to test blow-torching with steel brush-back + truoil. I failed to consider the roundover I would have to add! All suggestions on how to compensate for this oversight are appreciated! Shelves or firewood…hmmmmm… :)

[​IMG]
    #9. Pinecaster. Also blow-torched and brushed backed. Just building up the courage to add a single bridge pickup + cavity route and attempt to hand drill some ferrules on this puppy! I am already planning on drilling the 2 E string holes, using the actual bridge as a template and then half-drilling from both sides to sink the marriage of the holes. I’m planning on using pre-drilled blocks to assist in avoiding the brad-tipped drill bit wandering. Afraid that Tru-oil might darken it too much, may opt for more of a shellac-ed look?

[​IMG]
    #10. Alder body blank. It has to be a Telecaster. That is all I know.

[​IMG]
    #11. Mahogany Toronado-ish build. Attempting to build a sorta Toronado-Cabronita hybrid. There are already a few different threads that are great guides for this. Might mix a p90 and a filter-tron? Going for a Pelham blue muscle car look. Think I might go for a G&L Saddlelock style bridge as well.

Phew, that was a lot of typing! Suppose that'll be more than enough. All feedback appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Stringbanger, Vespa_One, DonM and 3 others like this.
  2. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

Dec 2, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Welcome! Great collection of toys you got there!
    Like your strat, my tele’s frets are getting pathetic, but I’m still playing it everyday.
    I’m almost at the point of needing it fretted. But i get nauseous at the thought of spending that kinda cash when there’s more exciting stuff to invest in.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
  4. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Nice gear. Welcome!

5. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 18, 2016
    Patterson, NY
    Nice to see ya. 10 pics...great way to start. Nice stuff.

6. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Welcome welcome :) Looks like you are well on your way into this wonderful addiction:D

7. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    This guy knows how to intro.

Welcome & nice gear!

8. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Wow, great collection! Welcome aboard.

9. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    Croeso! Thanks for the pics.

10. Bergy

Bergy TDPRI Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Denver
    Thanks, folks! Took some 000 steel wool to the maple fretboard on the Strat last night. The gloss was causing an awful lot of friction during string bends ( small frets + a thick layer of gloss). Pretty happy with the results, doesn’t look as bad as I guessed it would. I also got a Les Paul that has a real gummy neck, may hafta take the steel wool to that, too. Wouldn’t have dared to try it without reading a bunch of really good TDPRI threads on it first. Tons of cool ideas goin on in this forum. I appreciate ya’lls passion for guitars.

11. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Welcome to the forum !!

12. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock TDPRI Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Central FL
    Welcome to TDPRI! Cool gear, great intto thread.

13. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
  14. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    US
    Welcome!
    Nice gear and projects.

I'm going to attempt to hand drill ferrules also, let me know how it goes!

15. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

Jul 30, 2018
    Moorpark, CA
    Hey, welcome and great looking stuff!

16. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Welcome to the fold!

SB

17. Bergy

Bergy TDPRI Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Denver
    Just picked up the WEN version of a ROSS. I think de-emphasizing my router skills is a great idea. Should have details on the hand-drilled ferrules over the couple days. I predict that it will not go well, lol.

18. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Howdy & welcome to Tele Town!!

19. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2009
    gainesville, ga
    Welcome. You really have some nice gear.

20. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    Welcome aboard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.