Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How'd your 2017 Guitar Resolutions turn out?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Boomhauer, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    Hmmm. I buy stuff and I force myself to use it. At least expensive stuff. I finally had it with my old Yamaha acoustic (there was some slight neck issues) so I bought a Martin and I play it every week in church. I also just bought myself a LP Studio and made a point of going to a new open mic to use/show it off. Oh yeah and the $75 LP Jr I bought for slide and never play...so I need to fix that.

My goals are all performance related now. Learn all the dam words to something so I don't have to cheat off my paper. Play a new open mic or jam. Maybe join a new band to replace the one I quit or set up a new jam at my house to work on different material. Maybe audition for a band I consider "above my pay grade".

Reading some of the above, I'm very fortunate, I have (oddly) enough time to really work on stuff I want to (despite family and work obligations). I slack when it comes to learning note-for-not solos and such, because I focus my energies on learning enough of something in order to perform it. I guess a good goal would be to play out at places not having a beer first. :) But why??

I'm more happy playing my gear than tinkering with it or adding to it, but I will say I've averaged about a guitar a year for the past several. It's becoming a storage problem.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    My resolutions for 2017 turned out just like the ones I made in:

etc.

beginning in

3. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2016
    Arizona
    I just went back and checked my 2017 resolution post here on TDPRI (what a nerd I am):

"Musically, get back to a more disciplined daily practice routine & play a few more jams with my friends & others. Also get back to doing open mics."

Triple fail on my behalf.

Oh well, I didn't buy any gear but strings and picks so at least my financial resolutions must have gone better. :D
    Now if I only got to the exercise and healthy eating part...

4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Resolutions? I didn’t need no stinkin’ resolutions! :D

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I don't have a very good track record with resolutions because they tend to focus on day-to-day pattern changes, and I don't do too well thinking that way. I'm a lot better at meeting goals if they are specific, measurable, and have clear intermediate steps, and especially if there's a clear deadline. So I don't do too well with "keep my desk clean" or "get good at sweep picking", but I have a pretty good record for stuff like "run a half marathon under two hours by November" or "learn to play and sing these four songs before the school fair".

I'm getting back into weight training these days, and I'm considering what goals I want to set; they'll be something like "10 pull-ups", "power clean my body weight 5x", etc. Once I clear those, I'll either raise the numbers or switch to another fitness-related goal.

Toto'sDad likes this.

6. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    That's exactly it - you can't follow through on a resolution without having a specific goal in mind. I had a specific order that I wanted to sell off my guitars, to fund a new one...that never materialized. I wanted to get to a place where I'd feel comfortable playing out, so I took lessons. While I won't be ready to play out by the end of the year, I know exactly what I need to do for next year.

And damn dude, 2 hours for a half marathon ain't something to shake a stick at! Did you break 2 hours?

7. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    1:51:26 :)
    And now I haven't gone running for 3 weeks. :lol:

Boomhauer likes this.

8. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

What!? I've still got time.

9. tominwa

tominwa Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Olympia, Wa
    Forget 2017, forces were aligned against me completely out of my control. It wasn't my fault! I would have accomplished everything I said I would. It wasn't me!

2018 - I intend to take my noodling to the next level, nothing will stop me. I will be as a storm crashing against the baron wind swept plains. By the beard of my father....I so swear it.

moosie likes this.

10. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

Not to good. I told myself that I wouldn't buy any more guitars or equipment this year. I think that I added at least four guitars and two amps.

11. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Well, I got rid of a couple of guitars I just didn't play anymore - which was good.
    Re-built my partscaster (again) - and really like how it's sitting together.
    My main band finished and released the album we've been sitting on for a year or so.
    I have a new #1 gigging guitar, and am waiting for a phone call about my new amp head.

I'd say I'm winning!

12. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I didn’t have any resolutions - I don’t make em. But this is the year I really started playing again after 30 years of not playing much and 10-15 of barely playing at all. We went down to stay at the beach in North Carolina near where our younger daughter lives for January and February and I almost didn’t take a guitar, figuring it would just take up space and I’d just look at it like I had been at home. But at the last minute I grabbed my cheap acoustic (I’d sold my good stuff years ago and just had a couple of cheap placeholders for when I had to pick one up for a couple minutes until my fingers started screaming at me) and stuck int in the car. And damned if I didn’t play it a lot while we were down there. Developed a decent set of callouses for the first time in at least 20 years, maybe more. And got my limited acoustic playing up to a level where I could at least play the easy chords easily again and do a bit of flat picking. It wasn’t quite like starting from scratch but it had been a loooong time. Mostly just strummed and sang, but enjoyed it for the first time in forever.

Got home and started back on my cheap electric and really didn’t like that instrument. My best years were playing a strat and I never bonded with anything like I did a maple Fender neck and single coils. So I sold some nice camera and cycling gear (two hardcore hobbies that had started going dormant over the past couple of years) and started upgrading my guitar gear. This started in May and I’ve played a LOT of stuff rediscovering what I like with today’s options. At this point, I have a strat, an Ibanez semi-hollow body, a Blues Cube Hot for home and a Vox Adio for traveling (heading back to Carolina again for a couple months), a small pedal board, a mahogany Martin 000-15M, and just got a cheap little Jim Dandy to bash around. It took some experimentation, but it’s feeling pretty settled over the past couple months.

But the main thing is I’ve been playing a TON and enjoying it immensely again. With the advent of loopers and vast online resources, there are more ways to entertain yourself with a guitar at home than ever before and I’m loving all of it. I’m even getting back to a level of being a highly limited but OK within those limits blues player again and REALLY loving that.

No real resolutions going forward, but since I have my gear together again, it’s a lot less gear buying this year - it took a lot of experimentation and returning some stuff along the way to figure out what I like with today’s options, but over the past couple months my gear situation is feeling pretty settled. And just continuing to play a lot and hopefully, with a solid year of playing behind me again, really doing some growing as a player this year - I’ve already started feeling it in the past few months. But the main thing is to just keep enjoying it at whatever level I can manage... I don’t have a lot of talent, but nobody loves it more than I do...

-Ray

moosie, picknfool and Jupiter like this.

13. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    No more guitars: well, I bought a bass. Does that count?

No more amps: er, yeah, I, er, bought an amp

No more pedals: the less said the better . . .

Fail.

14. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Sounds to me like the problem is you're making dumb resolutions!:D

moosie likes this.

15. RedRiverII

RedRiverII TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Oct 5, 2017
    Fla.
    1: the act or process of resolving: such as a : the act of analyzing a complex notion into simpler ones
    b : the act of answering : solving
    c : the act of determining
    d : the passing of a voice part from a dissonant to a consonant tone or the progression of a chord from dissonance to consonance
    e : the separating of a chemical compound or mixture into its constituents
    f (1) : the division of a prosodic element into its component parts
    (2) : the substitution in Greek or Latin prosody of two short syllables for a long syllable
    g : the analysis of a vector into two or more vectors of which it is the sum
    2: the subsidence of a pathological state (such as inflammation)
    3a : something that is resolved
    • made a resolution to mend my ways
    b : firmness of resolve
    4: a formal expression of opinion, will, or intent voted by an official body or assembled group
    5: the point in a literary work at which the chief dramatic complication is worked out
    6a : the process or capability of making distinguishable the individual parts of an object, closely adjacent optical images, or sources of light
    b : a measure of the sharpness of an image or of the fineness with which a device (such as a video display, printer, or scanner) can produce or record such an image usually expressed as the total number or density of pixels in the image
    • a resolution of 1200 dots per inch

I resolve to not feel guilty for following my bliss. I bought an inexpensive Austin for some unknown reason and will probably give it away to some youngster. I bought a Gibson SG, which was more money that I ought to have spent at the stage ( beginner), an Epi sheraton pro II, a Fender mim HH, peavey 110, marshall code 25, and numerous gadgets. Along with these purchases I received a barrel of grief from the Mrs. " You've been practicing for six months and can't play a song yet." Maybe I'm nuts but I don't want to play songs yet. I like studying the chords, notes, theory, and the structure of music. I know myself well enough that I'll be sooo pleased with myself by playing a song I'll never get back to basics. I'll become riff man. Nothing wrong with that it's just not what I want to do. I'm studying major keys and the 1-4-5 progression. If I get that down I'll likely know how to play a bunch of stuff quickly. Same same with other fundamentals.

Resolution, I'll follow my bliss. " Honey I'm going to get that tele." No! She will have to say No twenty times before I give in. Of course I'll ask at different times and not twenty times in a row.

16. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Yep, you might be nuts. :D I followed a similar path. I studied a lot of theory, learned a ton of chords, and for years I didn't really know any songs. Then about 7 years ago I decided to front a band, and learn to sing and play at the same time, and actually memorize songs so I could play them without looking at a chart--and it got like 5 times more fun...:) I was almost 50 when I had that revelation. YMMV, and maybe that was just the course I needed to take, but sometimes I wish I had taken that turn sooner.

RedRiverII likes this.

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    It's good to get a spurt of trying to get the old body back into young condition one last time, but just remember, no matter what the outside looks like there may be some rust on the inside. I went back to lifting weights after about a 20 year hiatus, a little over ten years ago, and managed to win a trip to the hospital for a hernia repair. I really didn't feel like I was overdoing it, and had worked up to what I did that hurt me, but what I hadn't counted on, the limits of yesterday, were quite different than those of the present. A simple word of caution, don't count on being able to do what you once were able to no matter how you go about it. Set sensible goals and stay with them. It's that last little bit of effort that sends you to the operating room.

18. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2008
    ohio
    Well...wasn't gonna buy any guitar pr amps this year...but bought a 2k Les Paul burst and Vox AC10
    I keep saying no more...but about 10 guitars and 20 amps later..I am still a hoarder....:)

19. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    I said that I'm keeping whatever guitars I had with no additions. I failed. I'm going to make the same resolution.

20. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I made just one guitar-related resolution: to add requested songs to my performance repertoire. I didn't specifically quantify it, because it was contingent upon requests from my audiences. At my gigs, I take requests, and if I don't know the song requested, I'll commit to learning it, if I believe it to be within the scope of my capabilities. I felt ambitious about it in January, hoping it would work out to a new song every week. It's turned out to be more like a new song each month.

I had other guitar-related desires for the year, but they weren't specific resolutions. I've long wanted a guitar like one my Dad had when began to take interest in the guitar: a 1961 Stella by Harmony H929. But finding one at a reasonable price for what it is has been a challenge. Then back in May, in anticipation of the Memorial Day weekend and a trip to the beach, I determined I wanted a "beach" guitar. Long story short, I pulled the trigger on a Gretsch Jim Dandy, that looks a lot like Dad's old Stella.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.