How you top a new bike day.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Jun 24, 2019.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Better than a new bicycle day - new dirt and the ultimate bike accessory. We're wrapping up a new spot designed to up your skills. 3 lines that give you a perfect progression for riding shaped dirt, drops and jumps.

To _ with fancy bike parts and clothing. The cool kids know a mini excavator is the ultimate bike accessory.

It's absolutely new, still slow, and has soft spots but rides really well. Tabletops for safety. Better riders were already launching up to 4-6 feet on the advanced line.

This will be the centerpiece for our lesson programs. We have max 36 kids per class 2x a week all summer long and are doing two adult lesson weekends this season. The ski jumping and biathlon practice are all summer so it's amazing when a summer night has the mini kids on bikes, adult riders, jumpers, and shooting in the background.

This will be super camera fun and friendly when it gets fully tuned and fast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

cool man!

imwjl likes this.
  3. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, nice!!! What fun.... hope nobody gets hurt. Thanks for the pics...

imwjl likes this.
  4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You riding pedal bikes or motor (dirt) bikes on these?

For dirt bikes I get this style of trail cause the dirt bikes will destroy any natural trail system in short order but for MTB I much prefer trails that get built without excavators.

imwjl likes this.
  5. imwjl

Life is full of risks. I believe we do a really good job of teaching that. Our ski club and facility have been at it for 73 years now. We have two living Olympians and a young woman who's become high ranking. We have programs for the disabled. Our youth MTB coach and team accept autistic kids and those without skill just as they do the stars. It's a really cool place with 600+ kids in outdoor lessons, activities or on teams. So far the risk and occasional injury haven't stopped progress. This new effort is all about learning with more safety.

Confession: I did get a minor concussion and 3/15 went down on one of our regular rides two Thursdays ago. It was a little late in the season for my first case of trail rash. The consensus was that meant everyone was trying. My 66 year old partner in crime for leading this stuff broke his bike last week. He was a professional hot dog skier in the 1970s before med school and becoming a famous public health researcher. I don't think any of this is as dangerous as a life of doing too little or a lot of automobile driving we do often.

:)

Guran and JL_LI like this.
  6. imwjl

This is pedal bikes but e bikes (electric assist) are already controversy with some.

I've been trail building for decades and also trout stream work long ago. Close to 0 natural trails are sustainable or sustainable with much use. Construction has to be sustainable because there are not enough care givers and too many complainers. The progression of trails also makes it sustainable - people join and keep at it including early or late in life.

I do love great hand built trail but my back can't do it anymore. Few have the skills and time to do it. One of my favorites is when someone complains about machines and doesn't know their example of a great natural trail is one made with mechanical help.

The changes some don't like have made it all sustainable and got far more people involved. Whenever I get tired of all the giving I get or see another round of motivation. Especially how the same time we have stars and accomplished athletes we also have people who didn't fit or feel welcome in other situations. We get lots of tears of joy stories. People overcoming big issues and finding acceptance. It's the most welcoming sport I've been part of.

The new way is so cool because it supports the stars and it supports who used to be sport/athlete outcasts. I've never seen anything like the way our MTB coaches at once have true top athletes and kids who are dealing with autism, obesity and mental illness. The posse who makes it all happen cannot do it without machines and money.

JL_LI, teletimetx and Snfoilhat like this.
  7. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Holic

That looks like so much fun. Good for you for helping to make this happen.

imwjl likes this.
  8. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

I like the idea of containing land use as well as supporting sustainability. Sounds like you're doing good things.

I know you've been in "your mom's basement" for some time now, but it would actually be of interest to know where this activity is taking place. Might you offer a few clues?

bender66 and imwjl like this.
  9. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Only way to top it...New HARLEY day! rip3.JPG

10. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

Many of the classic trails across the US (and the world, I imagine) are environmentally unsound (erosion, habitat degradation) and have landowner+stakeholder conflicts that aren't resolved but just ignored over long lengths of time.

Modern MTB trails can get more financial/volunteer support, are designed to manage erosion, and are planned in a way that mitigates some of the most common conflicts among users and public perception and land managers.

And the skill development is good for many cyclists. I was never a good jumper, but here's an alternative on the very same feature (a tabletop), where you jam the rear wheel of the bike down into the depression between the jump's two peaks in order to get a little extra speed. The rider's center of mass flies in an arc pretty much the same as if they had jumped. It's way easier to learn this stuff in short, repetitive bursts than giving 'that one feature' in the middle of your monthly long ride a try each time.
    WestsideBMX_SCPAL.jpg

fendertx and imwjl like this.
  11. imwjl

I appreciate your purchase and hope they survive and at least don't close the plant by our cabin. I know a fair amount about those. A cousin might have designed parts of it, the HQ is near one of my work sites, and one of their plants is near our cabin. My cousin left for fear of being on a sinking ship. A friend who works for them took the opposite approach and recently joined them as an engineer working on their not yet shipping bicycles and electric powered products.

12. imwjl

Just west of Madison, WI.

teletimetx and blowtorch like this.
  13. beninma

It looks like you're talking about dirt jump courses which are their own thing, and you're in a different environment/ecosystem than I am but IMBA and such have great resources about sustainable trails and they look nothing like clearcut dirt done with an excavator. These pictures make it look like the excavator will be getting a regular workout after rain, etc..

We've got trail systems that are cleverly built around the natural landscape with the sustainability guidelines here that are in the same parks with excavator type trails that trucks can drive down, etc.. the amount of maintenance the two types of trails require are orders of magnitude different... the excavator type trails constantly flood and erode and are inaccessible for parts of the year. The sustainable trails require almost no work short of clearing big trees that fall or building ramps over them out of deadfall or rocks. Of course like you said if you do have to do a big job on them you can't bring in heavy equipment.. heavy equipment access almost guarantees the trail has to be changed too much.

But then you are not going to be doing backflips off jumps on the natural/sustainable trails. Dirt jump is very different from X/C or Enduro or any of the other disciplines.

imwjl likes this.
  14. imwjl

Interesting. It's the machine use, grade reversals and outsloped turns that have solved the problems. You might be describing what I think of as just non-paved pathways. I know the IMBA thing well. I was a chapter leader and am friends with current staff. We have new projects where their Trail Solutions people are doing the design and planning.

We've just blown this up beyond something we can manage in an old school way. We started summer kids MTB lessons like ski lessons. We have hundreds of off road riders we didn't have a short while ago.

bender66 likes this.
  15. beninma

I gotcha there... the big caveat with the natural type stuff is IME they hold up great to weather and every day levels of use.

But a big event, a race, etc.. is a disaster on most of those trails. Send 200 people down in one way for races and it rains and the race doesn't get cancelled and a ton of damage is done.

If you're going regularly have a big crowd I'd say you did the right thing with these. A lot of the natural/sustainable stuff only works if usage is light and it's riders who tread lightly and stay off the trail when conditions are bad.

I like riding both types of trails, ironically we don't have that much stuff like what you've built around here.

IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  16. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Good on you imwjl!

Good to see that areas like this are growing in popularity. I seem to have been involved in these activities at the wrong times. Our local municipalities were dead set against anything skateable in the 70's-80's. That's how I moved to bmx, which just exploded back then.

I appreciate everything you guys do in terms of access. I spent the better part of the nineties in SF/East Bay/Marin being chased out of trails & ticketed in the birthplace of MTB.

17. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

imwjl likes this.
  18. beninma

The cross check is kind of a legendary bike cheap & OK at so many things.

I have an All City Space Horse which is pretty closely related.. Surly & All City are both owned by Quality Bicycle Products.

I have had my Space Horse since 2013 and have used it for just about every use under the sun except racing.

- Towing trailers
    - Commuting with and without panniers
    - Light offroad riding and/or "Mixed Terrain" rides that go back and forth between road & offroad
    - Bad & Cold weather road riding with fenders, etc.. down to 65 miles @ 27 degrees with snow on the ground and a flipside of doing 100 miles in hot summer weather on bad roads, etc..

This style of bike is just great. I have another bike which cost about 5X what the Space Horse cost but I probably ride the Space Horse more. If one of them had to go it'd probably be the expensive bike.

19. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

My first 29" MTB was a Spot, and it was too big for me.

So I put a 45* stem, Salsa woodchipper drop bars, and a pair of bar-cons on it to make the (IMO) ultimate gravel bike. The thing is like a guided missile on rolling single-track, and gets along well on any surface from pavement to dirt. Right now it's got a Surly rigid fork on it, but I kept the Manitou and can swap it on in a couple of minutes.

20. imwjl

I know those, have ridden friends' but they left my short list in a hurry. This is 2019. Friends only let friends ride tubeless, hydro disk brakes, through axles, and 1x unless you REALLY need the gear splits. If you need the gear range you can get 2x bikes without old brake and old wheel technology. and Bikes like a Fargo or Vaya are better for carry or comfort. Aren't most of getting old here? You also get more comfort on a Sutra, Fargo or similar.

On the Fargo, I was looking at Vayas, All City models and similar but got the mint shape Fargo for a steal and liked it more. My wife rolled her eyes and never returned it after her first ride.

A long torso would be a good reason for the Surly over same parent company's Vaya. A Surly Straggler would be a good choice if you like the Cross Check and

P.S. I know I'm harsh on old brake and wheel technology but defended it until last winter when that the Sutra with hydro brakes, 1x and tubeless was SO much better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stephent2 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.