How would you recommend I learn

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by rxtech, Apr 14, 2019.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Why when the OP says “I can’t afford a teacher” are easily half of the suggestions “find a good teacher”?

Anyway, working your way through Justinguitar.com online would be systematic and produce good results.

Same with anyonecanplayguitar.co.uk.

Both are a good mix of songs and applied theory.

I also like yourguitarsage and guitarlessins365 for learning specific songs.

All four of them are practical. The first two give the most theory.

I think all are free.

2. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Holic

• Have fun,

•• Take breaks before burning out

••• End practice times on a WIN, don't walk away bummed, go back and find a place so you can end on the win, it's so important.

•••• Use a metronome, it's as important as anything else. After 55 yrs of playing, I have my metronome 2 ft from me as I'm writing this.

3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

lessons and working with another doesn't mean MONEY or lots of money.

lessons is an investment.

Find a way, find a friend, you are stuck and need some personal direction

You may only need 2, 3 or 4 lessons.

You need feedback , U Tube can't give you feedback.

Sorry for being so direct.

So instead we have many many opinions on what to do.

So what should he do ? Who's advice should he follow ? Whos offering the advice ? Who is going to actually help him progress and offer immediate feedback ?

Thats all I am saying.

over and out

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    rxtech likes this.
  4. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Holic

In my opinion, it's up to him to become his own personal best teacher, we need to make wise choices and always be the final word in our goal. No one can empower you in this more than you.

Many "teachers" barely know fundamentals as they look on paper. They may advertise you don't need all those scales and chords, but in the end you're just giving them your money. So learn how to get the appropriate teacher that really has the goods and knows how to teach. Ask music stores.

To be honest, after spending over a decade on the gear page in their playing and technique forum, it was one of the best things I've done in my learning. I discussed everything I learned in college 100x over. And then I learned there is a whole other world of music and how it all works that will keep me interested long after I'm gone.

I highly suggest you not only ask for advice, but rather ask this forum. In quick time you will understand the gradient from fundamental to advanced and the whole reality of the bigger picture will come into focus. Sound will develope, like hearing the difference between a maj7 chord and a min7 chord. So put ear training somewhere on your daily routine.

Also, there is nothing in advanced that is more complicated to learn than there is in the basics. Advanced means you just have more tools. So many people liken advanced music to high algebra. I'm here to tell you,,, algebra is way harder, and it has no musical outcome.

So what style of music do you want to focus on? And are you interested in the theory behind chords and progressions? Or are you interested in shred. I ask because this is how little I know about you.

This forum is a goldmine for someone wanting to advance.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  5. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Embrace the chords you know and focus on writing original songs. The other big advice is get a looper pedal and practice playing leads over various chord progressions

Bluey likes this.
  6. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

This thread has a lot of advice. It's all pretty useful if you want it to be.

I too am in the "find a good teacher" camp but if you can't afford it right now - no problem, there are still many ways to get better ...

1) Find some tunes that you like but that are a bit "out of your comfort zone". You can probably find a backing track on YouTube to jam along with.
    2) Find some musicians that are better than you to jam with.
    3) Join a band.
    4) Try learning a new and/or different music style. Maybe some country fingerpicking or African guitar or Bossa Nova, Flamenco, Slide guitar or dare I say some Jazz or Metal guitar. Anything to give yourself something "new" to work on. *It'll help all the other stuff you already know.

As for YT instructional vids I like the Rick Beato stuff. He's kinda all over the place with technique, gear, theory, history, interviews, etc. but he really knows his $h1t.

Maybe step one can be "soloing without using the pentatonic scale" Think Dickey Betts (Jessica) to start.
    Step two could be learn a song that doesn't use (too many) barre chords or cowboy chords. Steely Dan, later Doobies, later Beatles, Rush, Genesis, Yes or how about a soul/jazz Kenny Burrell tune: Chitlin's Con Carne or anything off of Midnight Blue.

7. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

I've had this laying around for a while. I was in the same boat as you and used this as my basic reference to blow the cobwebs off. Maybe somewhere to start…. Note how everything is associated with a pattern makes things easier.

At lease 1 Hour a week with Ernie Ball Phase 1&2
    Assuming you know open chords & moving bar chords up a fret = # down = b

At least ½ Hour on these. With I-IV-V progressions to start with.
    upload_2019-4-16_13-26-28.png
    For Power Chords Form 1 - strings 6/5/4 only Maj or Minor.
    For Power Chords Form 2 - strings 5/4/3 only Maj or Minor.
    Simples!

At least ½ hour a week on these.

A scale for FORM 1 BAR CHORDS
    upload_2019-4-16_13-27-5.png
    A scale for FORM 2 BAR CHORDS
    upload_2019-4-16_13-27-44.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  8. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I liked working with teachers at all stages of my career. After the first year, I began to direct the lessons, in terms of content and goals. In my second year, I wanted to be able to play like Freddie Green, and my teacher helped with that. Then, I wanted to master the fingerboard and all of the scales (well, lots of them). Then pure finger independence and strength building. Then jazz improv. Then composition.

All you need to do is save up for 3-4 lessons, and do research in your area. Make sure that what you want to learn is something that he/she has experience with.

Until then, you could do worse than searching for things in music that are fun to play and musically rewarding. Just focus on what you consider to be the fun stuff, or dessert, or whatever. Getting your learning fire lit, and keeping it lit, is by far the most important thing. Nothing motivates like burning desire.

Bluey likes this.
  9. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

+1 on what adjason said. Laying down progressions on a looper and inventing your own chord combinations. Then practicing lead over the top draws me back to my music room. Surprising what you can come up with using a few basic chords & a couple of scales. I tried not to let this distract me from a 2+ hour practice regime though.
    Anyway, best of luck what ever you choose.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.