Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How to verify a vintage guitar age

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by JeffKuritz, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    66tele- I can tell you would not be comfortable arming yourself with knowledge so you would be advised to seek "expert" help when dealing with vintage stuff. There is no profession on the earth (ever in the history of mankind!) that requires decades of experience before you "know what you're doing" and certainly it ain't vintage guitars! You overcomplicate what is a simple matter.

tjh5207 likes this.

2. Twisted Kerle

Twisted Kerle Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2016
    Alaska
    From my own research on blackguards its my understanding the serial number is no real indicator. It gives a broad time period of manufacture, but no specifics. (Plus they can swap bridge plates) they were pulled out of a bin as needed.
    Neck date? Anybody with a pencil could fake em.
    You probably need to look at pots, wiring, finish and even the screws themselves.
    I knew what I had (third owner) & still went to an expert for COA and proper paperwork to prove it for insurance purposes. LOTS of fakes out there.
    If you want a (mostly) original vintage guitar, you should go through a reputable third party. Yes you will pay a bit more, but you have a much better probability to getting a real one. (Or at least a paperwork trail if it turns out it isn't real.)

As for pricing... That can change on a day by day basis. A Blackguard (in my area) goes for about 20 to 30k, give or take. I've had offers on my highly original (and well used/abused) Nocaster of 30 to 40k, give or take.

I'm not an expert! I may be wrong... im just a novice sharing what I found so far. Research the guitars and the dealer/expert you might be using. 5 figures is a lot of money to gamble with!

If I am wrong about info, please let me know... (Like I have to ask...Lol)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    Crashbelt and mipstoo like this.

3. L.A.Zee

L.A.Zee Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2010
    My '68 body and neck tele has a serial plate of 96272 not a '68 number. It was traded to me by the Fender Fullerton parts department for a 62 with problems. So it was built with parts from a drawer, with 62 tuners older pickups a grooved bridge. It looked like a new guitar at the time and I am glad I know where it came from. Not every old usa tele directly from Fender is parts perfect. I havent taken off the neck and never will as it plays perfect. I know its a 68 from the sticker. (unless the sticker was applied to an older neck. It was rewired for me sometime in the 80's to quiet it down, but the pots are all original from Fender. I wouldn't trade it for a new one!

4. Tedzo

Tedzo TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Georgetown, Ca
    Hey L.A, Sounds intriguing, coming from the Fullerton plant. Reach down low and grab a handful of guts and pull the neck....you might be pleasantly surprised. My Blackguard has a sixties body with a '53 neck, pick guard, neck plate and knobs...you never know. I've pulled my neck at least 5 times and it hasn't changed the quality of the sound. Brilliant design on Leo's part. Good wishes.

Neck Date.jpg

P Thought likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.