Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How to use a 1000th post - with a Tele build thread, of course! ;-)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by BWNadeau, Feb 28, 2017.

1. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

Feb 2, 2011
    Lachute, Canada
    My newest project is underway. I had to side-line it last fall due to some issues with the house, but a friend has my new T build rolling along nicely...as if anything he's building wouldn't be ;-)

I wanted to go very classic with this, so here's the spec list:

Body - 1-piece swamp ash (about 3.5 lbs). It rings high and resonant when knocking it. Lively piece of wood.
    Neck - full-c maple with some slight figuring. Vintage radius.
    Plate - Klein short-side vintage, Budz Triple Threat saddles
    Pickups - Budz 5-2-4 10k bridge / Tall Tele neck (may go 4-way switching for parallel and series).

The body will be finished in Vintage White Blonde, with a black bakelite guard. The neck will have a gloss nitro finish on the fretboard and front of the headstock, with the back of the head and neck in satin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

Feb 2, 2011
    Lachute, Canada
    I received some hardware in the mail today - pickups, bridge, and saddles.

When I told David this was a more vintage-styled build, he decided to make some changes to the bridge pickup, and went with a lower wound 5/4/2 Alnico than he does for Danocaster, with flat pole pieces. The neck is a standard Tall, which has long been my favorite neck pickup for a Tele.

The saddles are the last set of Triple Threats he had - given machining costs versus the price of imported parts, he has decided to stop having them machined so he concentrate on pickups. This is sad, as I've had them on a couple guitars, and they are great. That said, it's very cool that I have them...I have one of the first sets as well.

With the Klein bridge plate in hand, I can say it's a nice piece of hardware. The corners are perfectly smooth and rounded, unlike the crimped Fender plates. The edges are smooth and polished, and it has a nice feel to it. Everything lines up properly, and its thickness is comparable to a Glendale or stock Fender. Aesthetically, I would have preferred not having any brand stamping into it, but most have that, so it's not a knock against the Klein. The finish is flawless apart from a couple little burrs on the bedding screw holes (easily taken care of). I'll see how it goes and sounds soon enough, but thus far I consider it a very interestingly priced alternative to the other after-market bridges available, and like all of them, are a step up in quality and aesthetics from the old Fender plate. Were I to have any say, I would have made it a hair wider to make sure any potential butt-crack is covered, but it is a nice piece, and Mr. Klein was an absolute treat to deal with.

[​IMG]

DrASATele and Blue Bill like this.

3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    How do you plan to go about the blonde finish? Traditional nitro? More current Poly version?
    Totally digging the swamp ash body, the neck has some beautiful grain line, very cool build!

4. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

Feb 2, 2011
    Lachute, Canada
    Thanks. Finish will be transparent white nitro, shot with some amber in the clear lacquer.

5. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston

6. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

Feb 2, 2011
    Lachute, Canada
    I got the last of the parts in the mail today. I ended up ordering from Next Gen Guitars, in Ontario, Canada. Anyone in Canada looking to get guitar, bass, and amp parts should definitely check them out - the pricing is pretty much exactly what you'll pay at SM or AP, but the processing and shipping is same day, quicker, cheaper, and there's no worries of a duties ding. Great shop.

It should all be together soon. Can't wait. Deciding now whether to grab a Fender bakelite guard and shoot some extra nitro on it, or splurge and go for the Callaham.

7. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Yup I've used them and they're really quick. I just wish they carried bridges, trems and tuners that aren't so expensive. The Gotoh stuff is pretty pricey and I'm frugal. I still have to buy them from the US and if I could find that kind of stuff a little cheaper here then I'd be a happy camper.

BWNadeau likes this.

8. mryakob

mryakob NEW MEMBER!

Sep 22, 2016
    Ottawa, Canada
    NextGen is based out of Ottawa where I'm at, and boy oh boy is it ever convenient to order some parts and then drive for 7 minutes to go pick them up in person, great company!

BWNadeau and fenderchamp like this.

9. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

Feb 2, 2011
    Lachute, Canada
    And we're done. Set up as a top-loader. 20900799_10159206175985693_3715521298787902602_o.jpg

10. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Lovely !!!!

congrats !

BWNadeau likes this.

11. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Holic

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand

12. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    That looks great!!

13. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta

14. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Great job, a classic look.

BWNadeau likes this.

15. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

Feb 2, 2011
    Lachute, Canada
    It's back to the shop for this Tele. The communication break-down that lead to it being set up as a top-loader was something I over-looked, opting to give it a chance. The guitar sounds great, but the problem is I am a heavy-handed chicken picker for the most part, and the lack of down pressure the top load generates has the string sliding all over the saddles when I play. Too bad - I like how it sounds, and bends are nice, but it's back to the operating table.

16. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

Feb 2, 2011
    Lachute, Canada
    I got the guitar back - it's now a string-through, and sounds wicked - crisper sounding, but not necessarily better. I did try to fix the bend that was in the bridge plate - somehow or other it won't sit completely flat just ahead of the pickup. My three attempts have yet to leave it fully settled, so I'll probably give up on that plate and replace it with a Rutters.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.