Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

How to tell if this neck is usable?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by papaschtroumpf, Apr 19, 2017.

1. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    My skill level is not at the point where I am ready to make a neck, or at leat not for my current "nice" build (I am considering making a cheap pallet caster and making the neck for that).

I bought a neck from GFS from their clearance section a while back (they're parts recused from factory closing down and the like and sold dirt cheap).

[​IMG]

it looks like it's been rolled in mud and has a few blemishes, but I think I can fix the cosmetics and reshape the headstock to something more conservative. The biggest issue is this ding in the side of the fret board:

[​IMG]

I've never seen the truss road sticking up this far up in the pocket, but a friend of mine tells me his guitar (a Jackson) has is sticking out like that, so it's not a sign of a problem.

[​IMG]
    So the question is, how do I convince myself the neck will be playable before I cardve a neck pocket in my nice new top? are there "tricks" to check it's OK (e.g. make sure it can be dead flat, turn the truss rod and massage it by hand to see it it'll hold a curve, etc...)
    If it were a regular strat or tele neck, I could mount it on another guitar, but I have nothing that will fit this.

The guitar I'm building is a Gibson Blueshawk inspired guitar so I need a 25.5 scale 3x3 neck, which is not easy to source for cheap. I can't afford to get something from Allparts or Warmoth, and haven't really found a cheaper alternative.
    Plan B would be to get a neck I got off an epiphone guitar, or buy a cheap "lp replacement neck" (about $50 on Amazon) but hte scale length would be wrong for a blueshawk.

Should I quickly assemble a "slab" out of pallets and mount a bridge and mount this neck and see if it works there?

2. papaschtroumpf

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    also one question about the nut. do I need to carve a "channel" for the bottom of the but to fit into or is it flush with the top of the neck? Every Epiphone nut I've seen has a slot/channel to sit into so it doesn't tilt back I guess.

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    The truss rod is not sticking out much, keep in mind it was probably designed for a very wide nut, like a locking nut.

It will not fit on a regular sized body, because of the 24 frets you will need to have the bridge closer than on a telecaster. Also, be aware that the balance will be very different because of this, a light body will cause neck dive.

Arch Stanton likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. papaschtroumpf

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    Now that you mention it, it makes sense this is likely designed for a locking nut for a Floyd Rose (pointy headstock, and lots of bodies on the GFS clearance site are routed for a Floyd Rose). that would also explain why their dry erase board doesn't show the nut width like it does for other necks. Does that mean that I won't be able to fit regular nut? I have not measured it but it looks like 42/43mm width to me.

I'm not sure why I need the brdige closer than on a tele? doesn't the 24 fret neck extend further into the body with the fretboard overhanging the top rather than stopping at the heel?
    I could see possibly worrying about it running into the neck pickup, but I could always cut off the overhang (the original blueshawk only has 22 frets anyway). Am I missing something?

I do expect the balance to be different, I have a Nighthawk, which is basically the same body and neck, and it does have A tendancy to neck dive a bit, I just use a suede strap with itm and the friction is enough to stop the neck diving.

6. edchavez

edchavez Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2011
    Arkansas
    I traded an inexpensive (free to me) od pedal for one of those necks on another forum. The last 2 frets were damaged so I cut them and the horns off. It's kinda rough also, some of the frets are filed too steep on the high E side and it had a pretty good back bow. But it was basically free and I just wanted a cheap neck to mess with. Here are some pictures. I installed it on a piece of wood that should've just been burned. neck.jpg photo 3 (002).JPG photo 2 (002).JPG

papaschtroumpf and Arch Stanton like this.
  7. radiocaster

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Are you seriously asking me this?

I thought it was your neck. I'm afraid I do not own your neck and cannot give you specific measurements.

8. papaschtroumpf

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    Yes I was seriously asking, your statement didn't come with qualifiers about how it "might" require adjustments, it seemed pretty final and informed:
    I'm still a newbie at this so I thought you were pointing out something obvious to you that I was missing.
    In this case I am building the body, so I get to chose how I match the neck pocket to the neck, and I can put the bridge at the right spot for that scale length.

My qustion is more about how tell the neck is going to work *before* I commit to routing the pocket and place the bridge. Since bolt-on gibson style 3x3 necks in 25.5" length are not especially standard, it's not like if I had a tele neck that turns out to be crap and is easy to replace since they are (mostly) standard.

9. papaschtroumpf

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    Thanks for the insight, not a glowing endorsement. Did you use a regular gibson nut?

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    That would be a good plan!

src9000 likes this.
  11. edchavez

edchavez Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2011
    Arkansas
    It's usable, I just wanted something inexpensive to learn on. No, it isn't a Gibson nut. It's just a piece of plastic material I had laying around.

12. radiocaster

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Well, I was pointing out what it looked like in the photo, although it's hard to tell from your pics, it could be either way, but since you insisted that it had a three fret overhang, I had to back down from my statement.

13. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    Loosen the truss rod completely. If the surface of the frets is bent backwards you have backbow which is annoying to fix but can be fixed with moderate heat.
    With the rod loose, bend the neck in your hands with the heel resting on the floor, the way the strings will try to bend it. Do this until you have a feel for how stiff the neck is. Then tighten up the truss rod but not too tight, imagine a four year old tightening it as tight as he can, you're not trying to break the truss rod. Then bend the neck in your hands some more. It should feel way stiffer. There, you just proved that the truss rod works. Unless the grain of the neck has outrageous twists, bend or knots in it, the neck is a good one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.