Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How to tell if someone is rich

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigDaddyLH, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    I did not know that the millions of public servants and fifty year old pensioners that actually bunkrupted the country were big guys...:D

On the actual subject of this thread:

I used to work in private banking for twelve years,we could always tell the REALLY rich clients from the "usual" ones.

They NEVER wore expensive clothes and watches,never drove super cars and never ever did they show off.

My number one client drove a Mini Cooper,wore C&A clothes and wore a Casio watch.

Still he owned half of London,Paris and NY in real estate .

His house was amazing of course and his summer house in the most beautiful island of Greece even more amazing but very few people even knew where they were and he never did the high society partying thing.

I remember that once he flew me in a helicopter there,in the island,for some urgent business and when I landed he came to pick me up driving an ancient vespa himself....:lol:

He was also always very polite,non bossy and respected all people who worked for a living (actually both of his sons were working in blue collar jobs since high school because he wanted them to "know life")

I guess that when you are REALLY rich you don't NEED an I phone you buy one for the person that answers the phone for you .

Most I phone users use their phones in order to post pictures on social media in order to prove that they are rich ,you don't do that crap if you ARE rich :D

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    shinigami747, awasson and Matt G like this.
  2. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2012
    Australia
    Moosie, you aren't refuting my post, you're just reinforcing it. Thank you.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Just a brief reappearance of the original post: the quoted article defined "rich" (which, we all agree is a vague term) to be above the 75th percentile. What is your worth at that point?

Googled:

[​IMG]

Looks like it's roughly $300,000. Is that rich? No wonder they were checking out the Grey Poupon.

4. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    I buy Grey Poupon once in a while. I like mustard and usually have three or more in the fridge.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

But the same house shouldn't be assessed the same amount, if the county roads to it are often knocked out, or the surrounding lots never built out and you have to pay 100% of the upkeep on the subdivision drives, and you pay 100% of the cost of the well pump even though it was supposed to be shared with 12 other customers.

I guess you could hide whether the lower level of a house ever got built out. And you can storm proof a house or re-do the insulation and it might be hard to know exactly what value to assign to that.

The assertion that tangible property is hard to hide, is IMO a bit overstated.

I've noticed two things:

a) When a landslide blocks the state road and you cannot get into or out of your home, it doesn't matter if the house is 700 square feet or 5,000 square feet and;

b) The Assessor is never operating the bulldozer, trying to get the earth, trees and rock off the road so that traffic may resume.

:^)

Grey poupon is a serious disappointment, for those who haven't tried it yet.

Do this instead:

[​IMG]

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Matt, I was never attempting to refute anything you may have written. If you will review, I was responding to Mad Kiwi, not you. Since you jumped in, I figured I could just as well ask you, but I guess I inadvertently asked you a really hard question...

7. BigDaddyLH

I'm sure that good, but I like Dijon style. In Canada, Maille seems more readily available.

[​IMG]

8. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

So much for the moderation - the Brit-bashing continued after your post! I can imagine the deluge of hate posts if the bashing was reversed...

9. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    For the record, I'm half English. :)

10. BigDaddyLH

Maybe you can do something tomorrow to even the score somewhat.

11. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Top half or bottom half

Or are you split lengthwise?

moosie likes this.
  12. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I’m English back to the doomsday book on my mums side and 7th Generation Canadian on my dads (Swedish through Scotland/Ireland before then). My teeth are cavity free but the lower lot look like headstones in an ancient graveyard. Not a straight one in the lot.

I’ve got a Greek sister in law via my wife’s brother (his wife). From my observation, you’re 100% correct. Same with the Italian leg of my in laws via my wife’s sister. Work hard, keep your head down, make good decisions, get a dependable car, nothing flashy and keep the tires when you trade it in.

13. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    If anyone has more money than me I consider them rich .

14. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    The good half.

tery likes this.
  15. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands
    Was at the Birmingham leg of Roger Waters Us and Them tour last Saturday ..... If you think you can make (even more) money out of politics .... You must be rich already! ;)

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    New Hampshire has no sales tax and no state income tax, but very high property tax compared to other states.
    My town has normal property tax rates but the property values are controlled by out of state buyers with bigger incomes.
    The local economy cannot support the inflated property values because Mainers don't earn what Bostonians earn.

One result of this is that families in southern coastal Maine are being driven off their land by rising property taxes, as well as other higher costs due to infrastructure that supports a huge influx of usage by citizens who pay taxes elsewhere.

And interestingly, where many local homeowners have for decades rented part of their property to summer tourists to add some income, now most towns have banned this, but allow out of state second home owners to make money renting on the same streets where the locals are not allowed to rent to tourists.

This recent change has me in a bind because I invested in some rental units on my lot which I now cannot rent out unless I leave my property.

This is funny because my town actually suggested I try being homeless for the summer, camping out in my golden years to make ends meet!

17. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Hmm, can you transfer the property to a corporation (yours), or place it in a trust? And then lease it back to yourself, and to others?

LeicaBoss and awasson like this.
  18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Since this has turned into a mustard war:
    This can't really be topped (the proletariat mustard)
    [​IMG]

Or, if you're feeling really festive:
    [​IMG]

(not rich, obv :cool:)

tery likes this.
  19. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Rich people put Mustard on hotdogs .

20. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 22, 2018
    Savannah GA
    Okay then. For me, this is the stuff. The fridge is full of it and for good reason. Yum! :)

[​IMG]

Thomy.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.