Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How to tell if someone is rich

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigDaddyLH, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I saw a homeless guy the other day with an iPhone. No joke.

2. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    It makes sense, but I know a lot of people who waste their lives making money they can't get benefit from, like an addict who cannot walk away from a gambling machine that is paying out. I often look at myself in the mirror and wonder this, given I was in a position to retire years ago

The example I give a lot is getting popcorn in the cinema. You can get more than you can ever eat/more than the whole audience an ever eat, and miss the film just acquiring popcorn

The people I know with this addiction to get more money remind me of people trying to cure thirst by drinking salt water. They seek status and meaning from wealth and have the frustration of a diabetic trying to cure themselves by swallowing bags full of sugar

telemnemonics likes this.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    some try to fill the emptiness inside with food, some with alcohol or other drugs. some try with wealth and "things", and, yeah some do try with guitars

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

One of the 31%

Steve Ouimette likes this.

5. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    wondering how he could tell it was an iPhone

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018

6. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Those are very good analogies! I always use the one about my obsession with videoing so much of my kid's early years that I missed them...:(

I guess if I were to analogize my observations in this way I could use your "movie popcorn" example and just take it another step: "Don't miss the movie by being distracted by others getting popcorn"...:)

awasson and telemnemonics like this.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    IDK but I'm the maintenance person at a seaside hotel where I only manage to work about 25-30 hours a week due to back problems. Between my and my wife's income we barely get by and are now in trouble with back taxes on the house.

Several times a week, guests paying $2000- $2500/ wk for their room ask me if I'm the owner of the $15,000,000 property.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

So I guess the OP asked a very good question!

.....OTOH I have hot & cold running water, central heat, windows that close and doors that lock, police with guns to protect me if marauders show up, my own motor vehicle, clothes I didn't sew anything on, actual socks to wear with my actual shoes, a refrigerator with food in it and a stove to cook on, lights in every room, a bed I didn't get from the trash, plus totally lux items like guitars and amps and watches and art and antiques and power tools in a garage and even my own washer and dryer.

So basically I am one of the bourgeois of the world.

Even if headed for homelessness...

naneek, drf64 and Piggy Stu like this.

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    "I gotta do it man..."

RoyBGood likes this.

9. Piggy Stu

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    I have never been bitter about another's wealth. Most people earned it, and the few who don't deserve it took nothing off me

I have dealt with over 2000 separate fraud cases in my career, where the average owed to victims is 250k plus. Some guy I dealt with defrauded a child's cancer charity and spent the 6 figures he stole on holidays, so I recovered nothing for victims

Seeing a person light a cigar with a £50 note amuses me if it is their money, but sickens me when some vulnerable victim's money is being wasted

Nick Fanis, telemnemonics and drf64 like this.

10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Nah.

A guy with a yacht is just a guy with a yacht. Read other things into it and it's about you, not him.

11. Piggy Stu

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    I'm talking superyacht: Larry Ellison and the Microsoft guy fighting over whose is biggest, and they never step foot on them

Seen a lot of people bankrupted trying to keep up in the boat contest

12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    As the saying goes, size doesn't matter. It's the mindset, whether it's big boats, or little ones. Some folks are always gonna be 'affected' by other people just living their lives how they choose.

Nick Fanis likes this.

13. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2018
    Canada
    How do you tell?
    If they generally seem happy, not in a "jovial" way, but just never seem very stressed about much, and they care about you, and want to see you happy, the same way they are.

14. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    Bill Gates made a crappy operating system but I haven’t heard of any reports of his 4$$h0l3-ness... unlike the probably genius Steve Jobs...

Both are/were rich... Jobs started as a hippy but turned into a ‘breadhead’

15. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    The best way to see if some is rich is to look at their shoes.

16. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    right, cause, if they're rich, they'll be wearing spats over them

17. nicholaspaul

nicholaspaul Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2010
    Suffolk UK
    You can’t tell if someone’s rich by looking at their tax return.

18. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

Wait......I don't get it, are you freaking serious, you have to pay TAX on your house each year?

19. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2012
    Australia
    Do you mean you don't have to pay tax on your house each year?!

Here and in the US we don't actually own 'our' properties. We just rent them from the government.

20. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

Im not sure of this is a joke or not?....but no we don't pay tax on our houses here.

We DO pay Council rates for services like water supply, rubbish collection, waste/sewage maitnenance etc but I presume you guys have that on top of what your calling a tax..?

What rate is your house taxed at?

telemnemonics and Kriticaster like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.