Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

How to tell if pickups are out of phase

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by iblack2492, Jan 19, 2009.

1. iblack2492

iblack2492 TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I plan to put a Lace Sensor Silver (reverse wound) pickup in the neck and a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails pickup in the bridge. I have everything outside of the body of my guitar right now, and have attached the wires just by twisting them without soldering to see if everything works. I am worried about soldering everything together and then discovering that the pickups are out of phase with each other. From what I've read when pickups are out of phase the volume drops a lot and it sounds thin. I've tried using both different wires from the neck pickup as the hot and ground leads, and everytime the pickups sound the same, which is to say in phase. Obviously I don't have any strings over them so I'm just checking by tapping on the pickups. Is it possible that no matter what I can't have out of phase pickups with this combination? The Hot Rails is a humbucker and it has 2 extra leads for coil splitting but the instructions said to just twist them together.
    [​IMG]

2. tdowns

tdowns Friend of Leo's

Nov 8, 2003
    Texas
    You can't tell by tapping on the pickups. You will only be able to verify it with strings on the guitar. It has to do with the wavelength of the vibrating string relative to the pickup position.

String your guitar and play it with the twisted wires, then reverse polarity of one pickup and compare. If it is neck the and bridge pickup together (not a middle pickup), you can definitely tell it is out of phase by the weak nasally sound.

3. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

This is a bit of Overkill for just once and awhile...but I do it a lot, and these two homemade devices make life a little easier for me. The one is just a bandsawed pc. of Oak, with a tuner and string attached...and the Guitar ?...is an old Pawn Shop deal, strung up w/ 6 strings and a Dobro nut spacer, to allow Pickguards, etc to slide underneath....works well for testing phase, etc.... and don't laugh at my carpenter Pencil bridge spacer....;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. mellecaster

Also I might add, I recently did this Build w/ a SD 59 Bucker in the Neck Position and intentionally wired it out of phase, just to try...and w/ 250K pots, it's a Pretty usable sound option...not as much volume drop as when 2 singles are out of phase...jest sumptin different ??

[​IMG]

6. tdowns

tdowns Friend of Leo's

Nov 8, 2003
    Texas
    Genius!!!! So, I'm guessing you can slide an entire Strat pickguard underneath that puppy???

7. mellecaster

Yeppers !....or if tuned to open G....Use it as an Acoustic Dobro w/ a Real Quiet Bluegrass Band......;)

8. robt57

robt57 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

Do we keep the carpenter's pencil in there for bluegrass gigs ?? :D

"Oak, with a tuner and string attached"

I think you need to do a sparkle finish on that...

[​IMG]

9. iblack2492

iblack2492 TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    could i maybe lay the pickups face up on a table and put the strings of another guitar over them?

10. mellecaster

Sure could...I used to do that (still do sometimes)

11. iblack2492

iblack2492 TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    okay i just tried the string thing and same result: the pickups sounded the same together no matter what wire i use as the hot one.

12. dymand68

dymand68 Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2009
    Norfolk, Virginia
    recently acquired a 52 reissue.....when 3 way switch is in the middle the volume goes down and the sound is very thin and hollow-anyone have a link to a standard wiring diagram

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  13. fisherbim

fisherbim TDPRI Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
    Code:
    http://www.fender.com/support/wiring_diagrams_parts_lists.php
    hope this helps...

14. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    If you connect the pickup to an old style analog multimeter, set the needle so it's somewhere in the middle (mess with the zero knob). Then tap the pickup and the needle should jump to one side or the other, and when two pickups behave the same for this test, they're in phase. Sorry I don't remember if it's on voltage or resistance it's been awhile (can't be done with a digital multimeter).

15. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

Or just bring a screw drive close to the poles across them all, the meter will jump [ohms setting] one way or the other, to the neg or positive. Or jump up from the zero setting. If it hits the stop reverse the lead to the multi tester so it goes away from the stop. Do it on another PUP, If the other pup does the opposite [jumps neg instead of positive needle move] it is Reverse Polarity from the 1st. It should be Reverse Wound as well but not necessarily.

Also, which is north/start of the coil [from my collection of saved stuff]:

When you hook up the multi meter to the two wires and then bring the screw driver blade (metal) towards the pole pieces. You should see the meter kick UP (positive). If it kicks DOWN (negative) then flip the meter leads.

When you have it kicking up, the lead attached to the meter + is the start.

YMMV, But I doubt it.

16. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
  17. Beerfish

Beerfish Tele-Holic

Dec 2, 2008
    rochester n.y
    not sure if I remember this right but I read something about finding the reverse wound pickup in a sratt set by if the magnets repel or atract when held face to face.I,m thinking in phase pickups should repel

18. Beerfish

Beerfish Tele-Holic

Dec 2, 2008
    rochester n.y
    strat set not sratt set

19. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

There's always your ears.:D

20. iblack2492

iblack2492 TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    well the pickup im using in the neck is a reverse wound lace sensor pickup, which usually go in the middle of strats. the front of both pickups are attracted to each other. my voltmeter is broken :mad:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.