Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

How to Strip a Poly Neck, Maple Fretboard

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by strat_tone, Dec 3, 2010.

1. strat_tone

strat_tone Banned

Apr 1, 2010
    USA
    Do anyone have a guide or link to stripping a maple neck? I was going to sand the neck, but what about the fretboard and headstock? I feel a heat gun could damage the frets and neck. Just use a square sanding tool? I would probably be stripping a factory finish neck.

Thanks

2. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    NO! Don't try to sand the finish, and a heat gun is a horrible idea on a neck.

You'll want to use a good chemical stripper. Between the frets, use a sharp razor or knife blade to scrape, not sand.

3. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's

Oct 8, 2004
    DFW, Texas
    I have used every

Chemical availabe to the man on the street and never (never) found one that will strip the Polyester Sealer that is used under the Polyurethane top coat. This includes Aircraft Stripper from the auto stores and the over hyped Citrus Strip as well as evrything Home Depot/Lowes sells. I firmly believe that nothing short of 60/80 grit sandpaper will get you to the wood. Many claim to have success with chemical strippers but I will wager they did not try to stain over the stripped finishes.
    Rob

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. scojan

scojan Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2010
    Hamilton, Ontario
    Be careful if your fret marker dots are plastic, some chemical strippers will melt these, don't ask how I know :rolleyes:

6. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    This is why I make my stuff from scrap, I hate refinishing.

7. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    This is why I make my stuff from scratch, I hate refinishing.

8. mrench01

mrench01 Tele-Meister

9. tonybvw528

tonybvw528 NEW MEMBER!

May 24, 2011
    annapolis, md
    Hi, Tony B. here. I am joining this almost a year later but wanted to just put my own experience in. IO bought a rosewood fret board Rondo Music Douglas Tele copy and dd a bunch of upgrades. Anyway, I had re-cut the head stock to match tele which now required snading, stripping this neck. I believe the one gentleman right that whatever sealer they use if any under that poly goes deep like all hell. I chemical stripped this thing three times as well as used my Ryobi orbital sander in not only the re-shaping, but with 100 grit sandpaper,, I was SURE I was at bare wood. the Minwax age old formula stain still had a huge difficulty penetrating that neck. It did finally take, but I needed a little more age and applied a extremely blackish stain from Minwax called jacobean that nicely brought out the deeper grains in the neck. Finished with very thin coats of clear shellac. this all would have been a way easier deal had that neck stripped way easier. There has got to be a better solution to get back to real wood without resorting to removing so much with 80 grit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.