Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How to remove tuner bushes from neck before spraying?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by AndrewC, Sep 23, 2017.

1. AndrewC

AndrewC TDPRI Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Peebles
    I stupidly tried a dry run assembling all my components on my first partscaster build to see if everything fitted. The problem is I pressed the tuner bushes into the neck before spraying!

I'm planning on spraying the neck with nitro rattle cans I take it this will be a disaster if I leave the bushes in while spraying?

If I need to remove them is there any trick to doing this?

Thanks in advance for any advice with this.

2. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

take the tuners off and use a wooden dowel or similar to knock them out from the back.... they should come out OK...

AndrewC likes this.

3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    BTW, NOT stupid to dry-run assemble before finish. If something does not fit, the last thing you need is to have to worry about protecting a new and delicate finish while you deal with the fit problem.

I have used a clamp with short dowel and piece of wood with a ~1/2" hole drilled in it as backer, to press out bushings. I like to think that this is less likely to pull up a chip around the face of a bushing hole than tapping the bushing out, but I doubt there's really any difference. What can make a difference, when I remember to do it, is to dress the bushing hole very lightly with a hand-powered countersink, so the lip of the hole is slightly chamfered. Only a touch is needed, the bushing top covers the chamfer.

beagle and AndrewC like this.

4. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I use the drive/square end of a drill bit of the corresponding size. The length of the bit gives you enough control to push it out the front very gently.

AndrewC likes this.

5. reddesert

reddesert Tele-Meister

Jul 19, 2016
    AZ
    I used a C clamp, a backer - this can be anything like a piece of wood spaced away from the headstock with a roll of tape - and a socket from a socket wrench set to press out the bushings.

beagle and AndrewC like this.

6. BadMojo

BadMojo Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2017
    Maryland
    I use a wooden dowel thin enough to pass through the bushing. Then I wrap a little bit of tape around it so that it catches the bushing. They usually pop out like a charm.

I will pop them back in with a small C clamp with felt furniture pads.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.