Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How to Relic Nitro(?)

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by dual_tone, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dual_tone

dual_tone Tele-Meister

Feb 27, 2006
    Boston
    wondering how to make the NITRO finish, on a Tele, craze and check.

2. mudbean

mudbean Friend of Leo's

Leave it out in your backyard for a month?

mud

3. doster

doster Tele-Afflicted

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    And then some

4. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Freon, but not reclaiming it is pretty damn irresponsible.

5. dual_tone

dual_tone Tele-Meister

Feb 27, 2006
    Boston
    Rumblebones, thank you, but it's not clear how the checking is done exactly....

"Lacquer Checking

With most any nitro finish,you still have to wait until it is fully cured to get the weather checking effect. With a spray can you should apply as thin as possible, both the topcoat and clear coat. Leave it in the sun to cure as long as you can stand not playing it, or string it up, play it and then put it out in the sun whenever possible.

Another method to accelerate the process is to take it to a tanning salon and put in the booth with the pickguard ON for 15-20 minute intervals. After each session, remove the pg to see the aging process. The body will darken while the paint under the PG won't.

I give my guitars 8 to 12 months for weather checking. You can use " Freeze it " or a similar circuit freeze to get checking as well, but only after the paint has cured or it will not work. "

I'm assuming he means 8-12 months for the lacquer to CURE before moving to the next step of weather crazing/checking, but he doesn't say HOW to do it other than to get some Freeze It?!

how much is one supposed to use? under what conditions? how often?

and, assuming it's already cured, is there another way to do this (ie put the body in the freezer, or leave it outside in the cold for a while, etc)?

6. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    The most valuable way?

Put it in it's case in the closet for 50 years.:)

7. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Friend of Leo's

Aug 7, 2003
    Long Island, N.Y.
    "Another method to accelerate the process is to take it to a tanning salon"

I do that on Mondays.
    On Thursdays, I take it to the Zoo.
    Maybe we'll catch a movie on Friday.

8. Lostheart

Lostheart Tele-Afflicted

Nov 26, 2005
    Germany

9. markophonic

markophonic Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Michigan
    Why is it the majority of posters have to have a smart ass remark regarding the guy's question regarding a relic finish?

The only reason you look into a post such as this is to bust somebody's balls.

:rolleyes:

10. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Tele-Afflicted

Sep 23, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think that's quite understandable. I know you just want good advice, but try to tolerate a little humor in the interim. I think we're all here to have some fun interacting with each other as much as we're here to exchange valuable information. I'm sure there's nothing mean-spirited about it.

11. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Once the finish is cured, the trick is quickly cycling it between warm and cold temps. The wood and finish expand and contract at different rates.

Compressed air (like for cleaning the computer keyboard) is used by warming the guitar, turn the can upside down and spray it over the guitar so that the cold propellant comes out instead of the compressed air. Freon can be used, but it is a tough to get, controlled by governments and horrible for the environment.

12. Rasher

Rasher Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2008
    Brighton - England
    It's a funny subject, isn't it. I'm as guilty as anyone for making fun of it, but on the other hand I have a CS 51 Nocaster Relic, that I paid extra over the NOS version, and I am also in the process of building a very heavy relic surf green 60s style Tele. Thing is, it IS ridiculous when you think about it. I love them, but the ridiculousness of it isn't lost on me. People will laugh, but I'll be laughing too, because there is no denying that building a new guitar, painstakingly spraying and lacquering it - and then bashing it up...is complete madness. It isn't defendable behaviour. If you can't see the funny side, then you are missing out. ;)

13. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 7, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    My actual relics are from being in freezing temps for hours at a time, inside a hot bar for 5 hours, back in the freezing temps and/or in hot temps during transport, into a/c barrooms and back in the heat over about 20 years.

I'm not really sure of how you accelerate this without a lot of time and trouble. I hear to use a hair dryer then the compressed air on small spots at a time. I'm afraid the freezer method would really be uncontrollable. This way at least you could control small spots in case something broke loose.

One thing no one ever contemplates is the neck. My necks and headstocks have checking as well as the bodies. I never hear of anyone putting a neck in the freezer. Just something to think about.

Actual checking on my guitars is very subtle. I don't recommend doing this at all but if you are set on checking one you might want to really invest some time. Paint 10-20 pieces of ash and/or alder the same way you would a body. Wait 3 to 12 months and start experimenting. Find something that works and let everyone know. I don't expect anyone to do this because the whole purpose of relicing from what I see is to speed up the process of everything. No one can wait anymore. I'm really not that old but I must sound ancient.

My wife told me to get some more bodies and necks and start building more so I may do this at the same time. Maybe guitar mill has some scrap they would let me have for this.

14. cbnutt

cbnutt Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2006
    lebanon missouri
    +1000

15. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Tele-Holic

Nov 5, 2007
    South Florida
    Funny thing, you know, is for the first 20 years or so of playing guitar, everyone warned me that if you have to move a guitar from one spot to another, keep it in the case as long as possible so that it will acclimate to the new environment & temperature slowely, to prevent checking. I listened to this advice so I don't have any guitars with checking.

I guess the goal is to replicate the instrument of someone who ignored that advice?

Not that I mind at all, I think it looks neat with checking ... I just know I've been avoiding it on my guitars for so long that it's funny to hear instructions for creating the opposite effect.

16. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 7, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    yeah but a lot of times on the road you don't have a lot of control over where your instruments travel. sometimes it's either move the guitars or leave the drummer behind. I have flipped coins over that a few times.

17. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I did this as well with my Gibson Hollowbody, but eventually it checked anyway. I was careful about pulling it out of the case before it warmed up and stuff, but I left it on a stand for a while in the living room... I think the afternoon sun heated up the wood too much. But ti took a loooong time to do it. That guitar is 41 years old now. It just really started some superfine hairline cracks in the finish about two years ago.

18. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Tele-Holic

Nov 5, 2007
    South Florida

ROFL Old Cane, I almost lost a slice of pizza out my nose :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.