Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

How to recharge a pickup magnet?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by D, Jan 15, 2005.

1. D

D TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2003
    I have a really nice Strat pickup that has one magnet almost dead (low E).

My question is how do you recharge?

Thanks

2. Buck Cannon

Buck Cannon Banned

Nov 22, 2004
    Hi,
    you'll need to Call a rewinding service, and send it in..
    A magnitizer is not Cheap$
    good luck,
    :D

3. Mr. Droopy-Drawers

Mr. Droopy-Drawers Tele-Meister

Jul 18, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    Make sure it is 'almost dead'. You'll need a gauss meter, and it's difficult to find a good 'cheap' one. Any shop that repairs speedometers will be able to check the magnetic strength, and you'll know. They can possibly recharge it. I have looked over many 'cheap' recharging units, and strangely enough, many state they are not meant to recharge Alnico V magnets :?. If you have no common sense, you can expend a lot of time and effort and build your own. I would imagine it is just a large DC voltage; wrap the wire around an iron core, and have a magnetic 'gap'. But before I did anything, including sending it out to someone else, I would take a compass and determine which direction the charge is right now. That way, there can be no embarassing moments later.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. T2tele

T2tele TDPRI Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Carlsbad, Ca.
    Magnetizer...

Hello D,

Send it to me and I'll charge it for you for free... you just pay the shipping! I have a very powerful charger that can charge pretty much any geetar pickup around. You can email me at t2ellis@pacbell.net

Regards,

Ron

6. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    Doc Kaufman's electric car! . . .

I remember Hamel saying that years ago he'd go to Doc Kaufman's house and hook-up pups to his car (converted VW). :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.