Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

[HOW TO] Optimal Wood Density for Lightweight Bodies

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by thame2010, Oct 25, 2009.

1. thame2010

thame2010 TDPRI Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Osorno, Chile
    Optimal Wood Density for Lightweight Bodies

Hi everybody! I've been reading this forum for quite a while and I've learned a lot! So, thank you all for sharing your knowledge. Now it's my turn to give something back.

I haven't found any similar info about this on the internet so I hope it's helpful for you.

Ok, let's get it started.

The other day I was thinking that it would be great to know, how much would a finished body weight, (all cavities routed) prior to start working on a body blank. This way you could tell if the body blank still needs more time to dry or maybe the wood is just heavy.

So, here's what I did:

First, I took Terry Downs "Rev. D" Telecaster Template, and drew it in Google Sketchup (3D Modeling Software) with the right dimensions (I only removed the truss rod access for vintage necks from the model).

Then, my intention was to calculate the volume of the body (with an external plugin) but I had serious trouble with it so, what I did was, making the body shape without cavities, and then on a separate model, I drew each cavity to calculate their volume separately.

Look at this images and you'll understand what I mean:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, I hope you get the picture.

By the way, there's one little detail. Cavities such as pickguard screw holes were so small that the plugin rounded the volume to 0 ml (mililiters) so I decided to ignore those. Please keep in mind that this model and also the volumes calculated are not 100% accurate but very close.

Let's move on to the math part:

Body Volume = 4739 ml
    Cavities Volume = 326 ml
    -----------------------
    Total Volume of Routed Body = (4739 - 326) = 4413 ml (mililiters)

Ok, now that we have that, we can see what's the density we're looking for in our wood.

Let's say we want to have a body that weighs 4 lbs (1814 grams) or less (use another value if desired).

Density = Mass/Volume = 1814 grs / 4413 ml = 0,411 gr/ml

Density = 0,411 gr/ml = 0,237 ounces/inch^3
    (if you want other units, check out http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/)

This would be the highest density we should have if we plan to build a body that weighs less than 4 lbs (1814 grs).

Now all you have to do is, take a ruler, measure your body blank, calculate it's volume (Width x Height x Depth), see how much it weights and then, calculate it's density (mass / volume). By comparing this density with the one calculated above you can tell if the body blank is still too heavy or just right.

I'm sorry if I wrote this in a confusing way, English is not my mother language so, you'll have to forgive me :rolleyes:

Tell me what you think about this! Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

P.S.: If this was posted before, shoot me! :lol:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009

2. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2008
    Maple Ridge, Canada
    Nick JD, ever been to Chile? Say about 22 years ago? ;)

3. oigun

oigun Tele-Afflicted

Apr 29, 2009
    Haarlem, Holland.
    Great work Bro !!!!

4. barkley

barkley Tele-Afflicted

Aug 6, 2009
    Australia
    Good work!
    Thanks for sharing!

5. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Great! Thanks. Very useful

6. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Texas
    I did that a few years ago. Here's the result.

I think your command of the English is very good. I respect that very much.

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think. I let AutoCAD calculate the volumes based on that Rev D drawing. I always thought it would be cool to determine the body weight from a blank weight. After I posted this back then, folks didn't seem to excited about it. I guess I'm just a nerd engineer!! :)

Thanks for posting.

7. thame2010

thame2010 TDPRI Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Osorno, Chile
    Hi Terry! I'm glad YOU replied :eek:

Your volume calculations are excellent! I wonder why people didn't get excited about this back then :confused: I think this is very useful and everyone should know about this.

I tried to calculate the volume using AutoCAD too but couldn't manage to convert the pickup, control panel, and neck routes to solids (using CONVTOSOLID after specifying the thickness). Ended up using Sketchup which gave me quite a small error (seems like I missed by 3in³! Not so bad after all :lol:)

It's great to know I'm not the only one who thinks in this kind of things :)

Much Regards!

(P.S. Just listened to the music on your website. You got some serious skills!)

8. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    I never saw Terry's post and I'm sorry I didn't.
    I had to go by weighing the blank first and the body when cut, and do the calculations.
    I came up with this guesstimate:
    For a max weight of 3.5 Lbs Tele body I needed to buy wood @ max 1.85 Lbs per Board Foot

This is very close to your theoretical calculations... so I guess it also works in the real world.

Thank you both!

9. Woz05

Woz05 Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2009
    Springfield, TN
    Volume = 264.14 cubic inches via SolidWorks.

The only thing missing from my model is the filleted edge along the body, this was made from Terry's print.

Attached Files:

10. Woz05

Woz05 Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2009
    Springfield, TN
    UPDATED:

Right after I posted the previous post I got the filet to work right along the edges.

Body Volume = 263.78 cubic inches

Attached Files:

11. thame2010

thame2010 TDPRI Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Osorno, Chile
    Hi "preeb", it's good to know this works ;)
    By the way, I'm a huge fan of your builds :D

Woz, that model is fantastic!
    I believe I know why Terry's volume differs with yours a little; he specified the depth of the neck, neck pickup and bridge pickup route to be 0.625" while on his Rev. D template it says that the depth of neck pocket is 0.625", neck pickup is 0.687" and bridge pickup 0.85". Anyway, it's pretty darn close so it really makes no big difference. Mine differs more with yours since I didn't (couldn't!) consider the screw holes.

By the way Woz, do you think it's possible that you could share that wonderful CAD model with the forum?:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies!

12. Woz05

Woz05 Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2009
    Springfield, TN
    If someone would like to post instructions as to how to do this (post SolidWorks files) i guess I could share :p

I also have the pickguard, and the neck is in progress (trying to get the curvature on the backside of the neck done)

Attached Files:

13. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    You guys are great with your computer drafting and calculation skills. I think I would have just shoved a body into a giant graduated cylinder of water. Low tech, I know...

14. Woz05

Woz05 Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2009
    Springfield, TN
    But that would have worked just as well!

15. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

16. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    I was wondering if it's possible to do the same for a Strat body...
    P-Bass and Jazz Bass will be great too... but this is probably asking too much (-;

17. thame2010

thame2010 TDPRI Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Osorno, Chile
    Sure! I could give it a try but I would need some templates. Do you have templates for the bodies you mentioned?

18. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert

19. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2009
    Ohio
    nice.

does that outline come close to what you find?

20. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    ?
    please rephrase.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.