Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

How to mix shell pink

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by moparmutt, Jan 17, 2014.

1. moparmutt

moparmutt Tele-Holic

Jun 30, 2005
    honolulu
    Just wondering, what colors should I mix to get close to shell pink. I got red and white but I don't want to end up with super bright lipstick pink. Thanks

2. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2008
    MI
    Can you post a picture of the shell pink you like? Anything in that color. Also, can you post a picture of the red (toner?) you have?

3. moparmutt

moparmutt Tele-Holic

Jun 30, 2005
    honolulu
    Mixol is the brand of pigment I have been using. I am still looking for a good sample of shell pink

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. 0018g

0018g Tele-Meister

Dec 2, 2009
    Kansas
    My favorite way to do this is go to the Dupont paint dealer and tell him you need 1/2 pint of code 2371 in basecoat. Instead of thinning with Basemaker, thin 50/50 with acetone. You can shoot nitro right over it with no issues, so long as you get the first coat on in less than 24 hours. I have guitars I did this way years ago, and they still look great.

6. moparmutt

moparmutt Tele-Holic

Jun 30, 2005
    honolulu
    thanks for the replies, I think I'll start with red and white and see what happens. I don't have many colors on hand

7. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2008
    MI
    moparmut, if it ends up being to saturated (i.e. intensive, barbie pink), you might need to dull it down a bit by adding very little ochre (Mixol 5), or even a slightest tiny bit of a very light grey. Again, there can be a huge gap between how two or more different individuals visualize a 'shell pink', but personally, I would consider results of a mixture of Mixol Red (10) and white to be some variation of 'plain pink'. Good luck, and keep us posted.

8. moparmutt

moparmutt Tele-Holic

Jun 30, 2005
    honolulu
    thanx man, i agree "plain pink". That's why I was looking for suggestions. I thought maybe someone here had done it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.